Lifting/Nutrition Question

Options
No Idea which forum to post this in, so I'm putting it here.

I have lost 40 lbs since June. My dietician put me on 1100-1300 calories a day (I'm a chick), with 100g of lean protein making up my diet each day. It's been great for me. I eat 5 times a day.

So, now that I have dropped 40 lbs, I have picked up the lifting bug. Sure, I only just started around Thanksgiving, but I enjoy it. I'm new to it and still in beginner mode.

I haven't reached my weight loss goals yet. I have about 20 lbs left to go. So, my question is this -

When do I start upping my calories intake, and how do I do that without halting my weight loss? I am not trying to get all beefy. I just want flattering, lean, feminine muscles...and I want to reach my goal weight. Problem is, I also want to eat appropriately and continue losing. So, what do I do and when do I start doing it?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Personally I think you need to pick a specific goal. Lose weight/maintain (recomp)/build appreciable mass

But, as long as you remain in a deficit you will decrease bodyfat.

Accurate logging of intake, monitoring of weight and changing calories dependant of results would be my way to go.

Be aware that initial water weight gains will mask fat loss on the scale.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you think you have 20lbs left to go, you'll probably find you could lose more when you get to your current goal weight. I would stay in a calorie deficit until you are happy with your level of bodyfat. At this point you should move to maintenance and look to "recomp" slightly.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No Idea which forum to post this in, so I'm putting it here.

I have lost 40 lbs since June. My dietician put me on 1100-1300 calories a day (I'm a chick), with 100g of lean protein making up my diet each day. It's been great for me. I eat 5 times a day.

So, now that I have dropped 40 lbs, I have picked up the lifting bug. Sure, I only just started around Thanksgiving, but I enjoy it. I'm new to it and still in beginner mode.

I haven't reached my weight loss goals yet. I have about 20 lbs left to go. So, my question is this -

When do I start upping my calories intake, and how do I do that without halting my weight loss? I am not trying to get all beefy. I just want flattering, lean, feminine muscles...and I want to reach my goal weight. Problem is, I also want to eat appropriately and continue losing. So, what do I do and when do I start doing it?

If you don't want to look beefy, don't take steroids. Women cannot get beefy. And you don't accidentally become beefy or muscular.

As for a lifting program, there are a lot to chose from. Below is a good list as a start. Depending on your goals, will determine which program is ideal. If you just want to get started and get strong, I would look into NROL4W or StrongCurves. Both are books that discuss nutrition and training.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Nutrition, I would probably increase now. Just increase by 100-200 calories every other week until you average around .8-1 lb per week. It may take some time to figure out your calorie sweet spot, since there are a lot of variations that can influence weight (glycogen levels, food waste, sodium/electrolyte balance, etc...). The bigger thing is looking at trends over a 4 week period.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. No steroids here. Haha!

I still do weigh-ins with my dietician/FNP every two weeks, and she measures fat mass, water weight, fat percentage, etc. So, I take my scale numbers with a grain of salt.

So, am I understanding correctly that I should just keep doing what I are doing for now until I hit my target weight? Also, eat back about 100-200 calories every couple of weeks.

@psuLemon - You are so right about the sweet spot. Hormone issues are a beast!

Thank you all for the input!
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, you're not going to grow muscle while losing weight, but you can make strength gains for a while as a new lifter. As you lose more weight, existing muscles will appear more defined. I would probably recommend that you go ahead and lose the rest of the weight and then decide if you're happy with yourself then. More muscle at that point might be possible while eating at maintenance (recomp), but would most likely involve bulking.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    Truth be told, I had no muscle definition before losing weight. Then, I lost weight and was "skinny fat." Now, I want to build my muscles and tone up. Is it all for naught while losing weight?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the input. No steroids here. Haha!

I still do weigh-ins with my dietician/FNP every two weeks, and she measures fat mass, water weight, fat percentage, etc. So, I take my scale numbers with a grain of salt.

So, am I understanding correctly that I should just keep doing what I are doing for now until I hit my target weight? Also, eat back about 100-200 calories every couple of weeks.

@psuLemon - You are so right about the sweet spot. Hormone issues are a beast!

Thank you all for the input!

How much weight are you losing per week on average? I would typically increase calories now since you are getting close to your goal.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    @psuLemon - My loss has slowed to about 1lb per week, average.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, I had no muscle definition before losing weight. Then, I lost weight and was "skinny fat." Now, I want to build my muscles and tone up. Is it all for naught while losing weight?

I'd probably discuss it with your dietician/FNP, but if your goals have changed that drastically, you might want to try switching to maintenance calories and doing a recomp running your strength training program.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So you probably maintain around 1700 calories. I would probably bump calories to 1400 now and not eat back exercise calories.

Also, if you just started weight training, there is potential that you lost some muscle during your journey, especially you were losing several lbs per week. Having said that, there is a good opportunity now to at least make yourself strong and potentially see some improvements in your body composition. Even if you dont' gain actual muscle, it's possible that the reduction in body fat might produce good results. If you get to your goal weight, you will have to evaluate your goals again based on the actual results. If you dont like it, you might either have to cut further, try to recomp or bulk to gain muscle.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    It's not that my goals have drastically changed. I'm still wanting to lose weight, but I also need to build muscle, which will also help burn fat.

I will bring it up when I go for my appt next week. I just don't want to sabotage everything.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So you probably maintain around 1700 calories. I would probably bump calories to 1400 now and not eat back exercise calories.

Also, if you just started weight training, there is potential that you lost some muscle during your journey, especially you were losing several lbs per week. Having said that, there is a good opportunity now to at least make yourself strong and potentially see some improvements in your body composition. Even if you dont' gain actual muscle, it's possible that the reduction in body fat might produce good results. If you get to your goal weight, you will have to evaluate your goals again based on the actual results. If you dont like it, you might either have to cut further, try to recomp or bulk to gain muscle.

Yes to all of this!! When I started, I was losing like 3 lbs a week. Not intentionally, but it was just falling off.

My goal is to look good and feel good about myself. While I feel better, I still feel I can look better, which is where weight training comes in. I don't like have the droopy, saggy, floppy, rolly, pudgy areas. So, I feel like I can work on my entire body, get fit, get toned, and finally appreciate the work I have put in.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It's not that my goals have drastically changed. I'm still wanting to lose weight, but I also need to build muscle, which will also help burn fat.

I will bring it up when I go for my appt next week. I just don't want to sabotage everything.

As a point of semantics, while it's true that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, it's not as much as people suggest. For every lb of muscle you gain, it's only an additional 4 to 6 calories total.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

As a point of semantics, while it's true that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, it's not as much as people suggest. For every lb of muscle you gain, it's only an additional 4 to 6 calories total.

Great point, so at the slow rate you can build muscle, it doesn't mean much. Too much is made of this! Plus, if losing a significant amount of weight, you lose both muscle and fat, so you're not gaining muscle until well into maintenance.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Great point, so at the slow rate you can build muscle, it doesn't mean much. Too much is made of this! Plus, if losing a significant amount of weight, you lose both muscle and fat, so you're not gaining muscle until well into maintenance.

Females will struggle even more to gain muscle hence why you generally don't see very muscled women day to day.
  • The__Wolf
    The__Wolf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    While it may still be a little ways off, you will have to start switching away from using "weight lost" as a measure of your success since strength/muscular definition will increase the "density" of your body making you weigh more even though you are much, much healthier and fitter.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    The__Wolf wrote: »
    While it may still be a little ways off, you will have to start switching away from using "weight lost" as a measure of your success since strength/muscular definition will increase the "density" of your body making you weigh more even though you are much, much healthier and fitter.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as a 1lb of fat.
  • pathawes6881
    pathawes6881 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think an important point you should remember is that you have just started resistance training. Initially you will gain strength just from you muscles "learning" how to do the exercise, With 20lbs still to go I would stay in a calorie deficit, when you nearer your goal then you can increases you calories slowly to reach a maintenance level without piling pounds of fat back on, I went from am 1800Kcal cut to 3200Kcal maintain over six weeks and haven't put fat back on.
    You may find that your muscles, and particularly your joints take longer to recover whilst you are in a calorie deficit. I would recommend listening to your body and letting them recover properly, particularly until you have food for recovery. And keep the protein up for repair.
  • The__Wolf
    The__Wolf Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Yes, but 1lb of muscle is denser than 1lb of fat which is why I specificly used density as a measure.

Regardless, I'm not sure I understand what your concern is. When you get to a certain level of body fat %, weight is no longer a good indicator of health (less weight is not an indication of progress). Do you disagree?
  • trigden1991
    Options

Yes, but 1lb of muscle is denser than 1lb of fat which is why I specificly used density as a measure.

Regardless, I'm not sure I understand what your concern is. When you get to a certain level of body fat %, weight is no longer a good indicator of health (less weight is not an indication of progress). Do you disagree?

Weight is never a good indicator of health.