What Have You Done In 2016 For Your Fitness, And What Do You Plan To Do In 2017?

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    2016 was just the beginning for me, since I was late to the party--just starting in September. At that time, I promptly committed only to losing weight with zero exercise because that's just how it was going to be.

Three months in, and I am a mish-mash of workout DVDs and walking/running.

In 2017, I want to put more structure around fitness and continue to find active things that I enjoy. I live in Colorado and have access to gorgeous hikes within 30 minutes of my house. I'd like to progressively work on that and perhaps conquer the Incline in Colorado Springs and maybe a 14'er with my son's Scout troop.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights and doing treadmill work in June. I like the combo, and just added a stationary bike to my home routine. I am just increasing the intensity of those things intuitively and I am not finding it a chore so I am not going to make any big plans to change anything up.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    In 2016 I started pole and changed my life and body. I then broke my arm and lost at least 80% of my muscle mass and strength in recovery time. My goal for 2017 is to progress again whilst not hurting myself and try to get my body to the point where I loved it back in June! I miss my abs :(
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    A lot of good responses.

Keep up the good work everyone.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting and jogging (but I cannot jog now due to pissed-off fracture)..I still walk though.

I also started reading The Beck Diet Solution to help me separate emotions from food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Nothing and likely more nothing.

Same here, except I definitely plan to get back on track in 2017. Another gym has bought out the one I belong to and is making some major changes, so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully when 2017 ends I'll be a little farther than I was at the end of 2014, when I did lose 55 pounds.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    2016 was my last year of CrossFit. Rx'd some wods including 2 during the open and gained strength and endurance. Also trained for my first powerlifting meet and became hungry for more! Now I consistently train in powerlifting and am in love with how I grow stronger every day!! I recently started eating on a deficit so I am working on tracking my macronutrients and being more mindful of what goes into my body.

For 2017 I hope to continue gaining strength. I also hope that I become more mindful of what I eat and avoid food that makes me feel icky. I also hope to become more aware of when my body is full and be more knowledgeable of what exactly is in the food I am eating. I also hope that I am able to balance work and lifting effectively. Hopefully by next year, I will be working as a full time occupational therapist (taking my boards later this month eek!!) so I am hoping that I am able to perform my job effectively while also not skipping out on powerlifting.

Here's to a happy new year full of gainz! :p
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    2016=weight loss by walking, then running, completed 1/2 marathon, crappy strength gains
    2017=maintain 75# weight loss, get strong and increase flexibility, run way less
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My strength has improved and would like to continue once my wrist fully heals. I was proud if myself when I propped up the tree alone this year. I remember having difficulty picking up then stand.

As for running, I got some fitted shoes and am aiming to do a 10k January 1st. I've done 5.5 miles and will be adding another quarter this Thursday.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    After having 2 kids back to back I was able to get back into running and completed a couple 10ks only to find that my lingering knee pain is arthritis. My goals for 2017 are to focus more on the weights and to listen to my body more....rest when my body tells me to...this is something I struggle with.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting and jogging (but I cannot jog now due to pissed-off fracture)..I still walk though.

I also started reading The Beck Diet Solution to help me separate emotions from food.

I forgot to put my goal for 2017....

To BE at my goal weight. After the year(s) I've had, I am hoping 2017 will be my year..

Another goal is to be stronger.

Another: to be able to run 5k or even 10k.

My mom would be proud of me.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon in April 2016. I was pretty unhappy with my time and placement, but I did it!

In 2017 I'd like to do get back into running 5 & 10Ks because I kind of stopped this last year. Maybe I'll do another half marathon, or I'll do another triathlon. I really just want to get back into running races because I think it helps keep me consistent, and they're a weirdly fun way to spend a Saturday morning and plus there's usually snacks and/or beer afterwards!

I'd also like to do more strength training. I just kind of screw around in the weight room now, nothing super serious or consistent. At the end of 2015 I gained a lot of muscle, really quickly by lifting heavy. I never looked like a fitness model or anything but I had way more strength--when I was moving apartments, I moved a huge couch by myself (I'm still not really sure how I did that). Those kinds of non-scale victories are so worth it to me, and I'd like to have more of those.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    2016: Lost 14 or so lbs, lots of strength and some endurance training. I don't think I really added any muscle as much as I toned up what was there, but it feels great.

2017: I don't have this completely mapped out yet, but long term, repeated goals for the year include 5-10 mile hikes through New Hampshires mountains, and proving to myself that I, as a grandfather, can outlast and outclimb my kids and their husbands lol.

I couldn't a year ago. That's changing, even if it kills me. :D
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    This year I have:
    Dropped another 15-20 pounds (currently oscillating around those last 5 pounds), which took me down to the lightest I've been for 32 years.
    Ridden over 2600 miles on my bike, which is comfortably double last year, which itself was my best cycling year before now.
    Got regular in the gym, and started on the AllPro regime, though after one food cycle that's got a bit interrupted by illness.

Next year I want to
    Do at least 4 full cycles of AllPro, and dramatically improve the weights that I'm lifting.
    Keep the fat off, but add another 10ish pounds of muscle.
    Ideally, torch a bit more body fat
    Increase my bike mileage - maybe around the 3500 mile mark, and improve the max distances as well
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm old, so I've learned to let go of some things even if I don't want to. 2013 tore knee and shoulder up, had surgery on both. Before that I was power lifting 3 times a week, crossfit twice a day 3 times a week. Been working my way back since. 2016 ruptured herniated disc, MRI says my back is a wreck. But I work around things and injuries. I have a 385 flat bench, just hit 345 incline bench and 250 seated military press, all in 2016. 2017 I hope to compete in a power lifting bench meet, hoping to reach 405 lb.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So the plan for the year was three marathons, an ultra and two half marathons

What actually happened was a calf tear in January, which meant the first marathon of the year had to be downgraded to a half marathon.

Where I ended up:
    • March - Larmer Tree Half Marathon
    • May - The Ox Races - Daylight 10K, night 10K and a half marathon all over the same weekend
    • June - Giants Head Marathon
    • August - Bad Cow Half Marathon & East Farm Frolic 12 Hour Ultramarathon
    • October - Clarendon Marathon
    • December - Bovington Half Marathon

All trail races.

Next year I've already booked four marathons and two 12 hour Ultras, and I'm planning on the Ox 10Ks, the Clarendon Marathon or Half Marathon and probably the Bovington Marathon as well.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Flipped back and forth between lifting and running. Basically, maintained mileage (25-30 mi /wk) and strength overall. Did improve form and range of motion on squats tremendously.

I'm about 1/3 of the way into a marathon training program. Just pulled up with what I'm pretty sure is mild hamstring tendonitis so I'm resting and will ease back to where I left off once the pain goes away. Should be able to run my first marathon in 2017. Need to do some regular body weight strength moves at home until I'm ready to pick up lifting again.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I ran a full marathon in 2016! But I definitely gained weight.
    2017 I hope to run a full marathon and maintain my weight!
  • lizzyh207
    lizzyh207 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started caring about my health and fitness. I started eating better putting thought in to what was going in to my body. I also joined and gym and started working out.

I haven't made a lot of progress yet but it's a start.

In 2017 I plan on putting more effort in to working out and losing weight.