Carb/Fat/Protein ratios for fat loss

Options
Sculpta
Sculpta Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So looking around online and having just watched my 100th video on the matter, it seems that everyone has a different opinion on what th ebest ratio is.... I suppose it depends on the person.

Well here's me:
5pg6ym4bd7bx.jpg

What ratio would you suggest for me? You can see my goal in my signature's ticker below this post

Tearing my hair our with this and nothing seems to be the 'correct' ratio when I work it out going by other people's opinions.

Replies

• Sculpta
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :smile:

I have worked out my deficit and exercise plans and eating healthy is no problem now - its just the ratio I am stuck with. But what you said about hitting the protein minimum is really useful!

On face value, not knowing much about either, the obvious thing sound like its FAT I need to consume the least of, yet everyone is saying carbs is the worst thing? Why is this?

Thanks
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Macro ratios don't really matter for weight loss-calories, calories and yes calories is what you need to be focusing on :) Enter your stats into MFP and then follow the calorie amount it recommends (it already has your calorie deficit built in), and then weigh out portion sizes on a food scale as much as possible and track all your calorie intake in your MFP tracking section.

I never tracked a macro during my 50lb weight loss or in the years of successful maintenance that have followed. I only focus on my calorie intake. My 'before' pictures are in my profile-our guts match lol. Calories, calories, calories!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sculpta wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :smile:

I have worked out my deficit and exercise plans and eating healthy is no problem now - its just the ratio I am stuck with. But what you said about hitting the protein minimum is really useful!

On face value, not knowing much about either, the obvious thing sound like its FAT I need to consume the least of, yet everyone is saying carbs is the worst thing? Why is this?

Thanks

It's all nonsense and fad propoganda. Lowering fats can be helpful because it lowers overall calories. Lowering carbs may manipulate water.

Again though, this is all personal preferance. The macro ratio is significantly less important. I personally don't recommend trying to "cut" any of the macros, and eat 40% carbs, 30% proteins and fats because it feels balanced and enjoyable for ME.
  • Sculpta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It's all nonsense and fad propoganda...

I figured as much... :smile:

So the overall impression I am getting is that I should obviously focus on the deficit but also the protein and also keep an eye on fats... carbs can just fall into place.

That sound about right or have I missed something?

Thanks

• rainbowbow
    Options

So the overall impression I am getting is that I should obviously focus on the deficit but also the protein and also keep an eye on fats... carbs can just fall into place.

Thanks

that sounds exactly right.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thanks

Sounds good to me. Assuming there is balance in your diet and your getting enough of everything, macro balance is minutia. Calories and training protocol have the largest effect on body comp.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,060 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Agree with the previous posters about focusing on a calorie deficit first, then work on the macros.

While I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article, I appreciated them describing what the different ratio balances were for body building vs balance/maintenance vs fat loss and some tips to minimums for the macros - http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html , so it helped me wrap my head around the macro ratios. Especially since so many places just throw out ratios, without explaining what different ones are geared towards. YMMV.

I also have been using more of a balanced ratio for myself, but that is because as much as I wanted to do a high protein ratio for fat loss, it wasn't sustainable for me. Also, I need a bit of higher carbs because I can become hypoglycemic when I don't get enough. So even though I have been trying to lose, I put my macros in a balance of 35/35/30 (protein/carb/fats) though daily, I probably get more of a 30/40/30 - 25/50/25 intake, and I'm still losing. Losing is about the calories. Nutrient balance is about the macros.
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    While Calories are my first target, I focus on protein and fat first for macros -- they both help me feel fuller, longer while carbs tend to wake my inner fat kid and leaves me with a screaming pit of bottomless hunger....and i've learned that my skin, hair and nails suffer if i cut out fats.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    While Calories are my first target, I focus on protein and fat first for macros -- they both help me feel fuller, longer while carbs tend to wake my inner fat kid and leaves me with a screaming pit of bottomless hunger....and i've learned that my skin, hair and nails suffer if i cut out fats.

This is the way I did it as well the carbs were my reducing Macro of choice to full fill my hunger wants and stay on track. It is all about calories for the "equation" of weight loss or gain but the cravings/mind set have to be satisfied in order to be successful as a undisciplined human..

• rainbowbow
    Options

This is the way I did it as well the carbs were my reducing Macro of choice to full fill my hunger wants and stay on track. It is all about calories for the "equation" of weight loss or gain but the cravings/mind set have to be satisfied in order to be successful as a undisciplined human..

This is so true. Where some higher carbs may be less filling for others, i personally feel like a cranky b!tch without enough.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I dropped 35# from 196# & +20% BF down to 160# & 12% BF in the past 6 months using a ratio of 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat based on 1500-2000 cals/day (ave about 1800) doing a lot of cardio early on and heavy progressive compound lifts throughout.

Although I did not follow it specifically, the following article just happens to describe almost exactly what I did:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/graniero1.htm

You will have to figure out exactly what cals, macros and workout routine works best for you but this article shoukd give you a good starting point.

Good luck!
  • EllenZawada
    EllenZawada Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last summer I averaged 1000-1200 calories a day plus worked out 1-2 hours a day (P90X). I lost 11 lbs in 9 weeks working my *kitten* off.

I'm now injured and doctor wants me sitting or sleeping 24/7 for the last few months. Since I cannot work out to loose I had to take a hard look at my food choices. My macros are now 5% carbs (max), 25% protein (goal), and 70% fats (fats only to satiety as I have stored fat my body needs to burn). Funny thing is on no activity and averaging 1,400-1,700 calories a day I lost 25lbs in the first 7 weeks. I then went into maintenance mode for a month to see what would happen. I stayed within a pound of my lowest weight. Yay! I'm now tracking my foods again, and paying more attention to hit my protein goals and I lost another 5lbs in the last week and a half.

So for me food choices (macros) has really made a big difference in my journey. Plus the foods are amazing. In fact I've had three friends in the past two weeks that were instructed to eat the exact same way by their doctors.