Going Vegan and Need Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of good groups on Facebook. Some are pretty strict but Trying Vegan has some great tips for those starting out and it understanding. I also highly recommend cleanfooddirtygirl.com. Also look to see if you have any meetup groups close.
  • BigGrubber
    BigGrubber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara! I only stopped eating meat in March 2016 and stopped consuming dairy over the summer. I was a fully fledged 'Meatie' beforehand, although I did have 2 meat-free days each week until I stopped completely. It was a combination of reading books like 'How to Not Die' by Dr Michael Greger and watching films like Forks Over Knives and Cowpsiracy that made me go vegan. I don't miss meat so far, in fact, I'm loving challenging myself to try and cook new things. Turns out avocados are awesome. Cauliflower rocks. And while I miss the ease of eating out (no such thing as a hearty pub lunch anymore), I'm enjoying saving money and having to go for the salad instead of the steak pie has led to some weight loss. I'm still experimenting with new foods, books and tips, but I'm loving this new lifestyle and I probably bore the pants off my friends & family, trying to convert them! I would follow One Green Planet on facebook (lots of great recipes) and buy Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon and Keep It Vegan by Aine Carlin. Both have some really simple recipes which are good starting points. Enjoy!
  • Holly23bgs
    Holly23bgs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am currently vegetarian, for a little over a year. I started out going full vegan and it was a very difficult change so I eased back to vegetarian and planning to make steps over a longer period to make the full change. You may be better at making big changes than I am, but I would suggest doing small steps of cutting out things bit by bit and adding the healthy things bit by bit also. I have seen several studies that show that a gradual change is more likely to stick than if you go "cold turkey" (pun intended)