RDA/ACSM recommendations

Options

I am 51(female) and my diet focuses on lean proteins, healthy fats, vegetables and little healthy carbs. I aim for about 100 ..sometimes more...grams of protein a day. I do Crossfit and tend to have high sugar levels but I am interested in a more "general" thought...not about me personally.

My daughter is going to college for exercise science and is eventually going to PT school.
In her classes she is learning the RDA/ACSM guidelines which are considered the "gold standard". She thinks I eat too much protein. I think people, even as you get older need more protein to sustain muscle

I'm pretty sure if I ate that many carbs, even good carbs, it would cause weight gain. I know everyone is different but I am curious as to how others feel about this. I'm a little surprised at their recommendation.

I would love anyone's thoughts if you are familiar with these guidelines. thank you!!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you weigh somewhere in the range of 130-180 lb, then your 100 g of protein per day falls in line with the ACSM recommendation of 1.2-1.7 g/kg for people engaging in physical activity/strength training.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. Per the ACSM website:
    However, as we age, we need to increase our
    protein intake. Around 50 years of age, we
    need to increase the protein in our diets to
    one gram per kilogram of our body weight to
    maintain muscle mass. People that exercise
    regularly also need to eat more protein than the
    recommended daily intake.

https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-source/brochures/protein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Furthermore, there is no harm in getting more protein than the suggested guidelines (keyword is guideline). If you feel more satiated eating more protein, then you are perfectly fine to do so.

Smile and thank your daughter for her advice, but keep eating how you like.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thank you!