Help and tips for short people

Options

Replies

• Berry_EG
    Berry_EG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    As i said above exercise to increase the calories you burn to lose faster. You dont even weigh much your pretty small .5 a week loss would be fine. Walk a bit.

I can't do enough exercise to make a big difference for that. 0.5 a week is still very low and I can't even get to that
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Dont need alot of exercise for .5 a pound thats a 1750 calories per week defecit...Only 250 calories a day. Between say a small walk and your 1200 calories its very doable.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Berry_EG wrote: »
    As i said above exercise to increase the calories you burn to lose faster. You dont even weigh much your pretty small .5 a week loss would be fine. Walk a bit.

I can't do enough exercise to make a big difference for that. 0.5 a week is still very low and I can't even get to that

...yes you can. If you run for an hour a day, lets say that's 10km everyday you are going to get about 400 cals extra to eat.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'. It's not all that hard, our TDEE is just lower. I'd recommend eating 1,200 calories per day - your weight loss may not be as quick to drop off, but it will be maintainable and you won't be starving all the time. Eat small amounts every 3-4 hours throughout the day, and make sure they are nutrient packed food options. Also, think about incorporating lifting into your exercise routine because it can change the composition of your body (if you're like me, and a lot of short people that I know, you are "thicker" and therefore your body responds well to lifting)
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'. It's not all that hard, our TDEE is just lower. I'd recommend eating 1,200 calories per day - your weight loss may not be as quick to drop off, but it will be maintainable and you won't be starving all the time. Eat small amounts every 3-4 hours throughout the day, and make sure they are nutrient packed food options. Also, think about incorporating lifting into your exercise routine because it can change the composition of your body (if you're like me, and a lot of short people that I know, you are "thicker" and therefore your body responds well to lifting)

Not necessary at all o_O at the eating every 3-4 hours
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    Dont need alot of exercise for .5 a pound thats a 1750 calories per week defecit...Only 250 calories a day. Between say a small walk and your 1200 calories its very doable.
    elliej wrote: »

...yes you can. If you run for an hour a day, lets say that's 10km everyday you are going to get about 400 cals extra to eat.

I really can't do that much exercise every day. I could maybe do that once a week at most but I just don't have the time with everything else to commit that much every day. I'd rather eat less than do huge amounts of exercise
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    elliej wrote: »

I really can't do that much exercise every day. I could maybe do that once a week at most but I just don't have the time with everything else to commit that much every day. I'd rather eat less than do huge amounts of exercise

Why are you complaining about slow/impossible weight loss if your unwilling to put in the work? lol

Exercise is as simple as take the stairs...walk around the block when you have free few minutes...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OK, so it simply means you'll have a smaller deficit than many/most people. And that means it will take longer for you to lose 10 lb (as an example) than it will for someone that can eat to a bigger deficit to lose 10 lb.

Really, if you can't/won't burn more Calories and are unable to eat much less, your weight loss is going to be slower than that of others. Sorry - that's just the way it is.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP did you say what you currently weigh? I saw above you mentioned 100 - 92, is that your current weight and your goal weight? And you are 4'11,is that right?

You said you are so busy you don't have time to exercise, but you are 18? Are you in college? Work? Can you walk to class or walk to work? Find ways to increase your activity in other ways? I'm surprised you can't make 30 minutes of exercise a possibility in a day - it really will benefit you in the long run to make this a habit now.

• Berry_EG
    Options
    I am willing to put in the work but doing an hour+ of running every single day is too extreme for a 0.5lb a week loss when other people have options of 1 or 2lb a week. I'd be happier just eating less.

Why is it so important that I not eat less as a shorter person? The lowest number of calories to be healthy when you are short cannot be the same number as if you are really tall
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP did you say what you currently weigh? I saw above you mentioned 100 - 92, is that your current weight and your goal weight? And you are 4'11,is that right?

You said you are so busy you don't have time to exercise, but you are 18? Are you in college? Work? Can you walk to class or walk to work? Find ways to increase your activity in other ways? I'm surprised you can't make 30 minutes of exercise a possibility in a day - it really will benefit you in the long run to make this a habit now.

Yes that's right. I can do those things and I do walk to college at the moment and back but someone else said that I need to do more like an hour+ of running every day to reach that amount. That's just impossible for me :(
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ...Lol she never said you HAD to run she said you could benefit alot from a little. And i literally said exercise is literally as simple as takign the stairs or walking around the block when you can. Stop taking bits an peices of peoples posts and holding them up as evidence life is unfair. Stop argueing and go for a *kitten* walk. IF you have time to argue on these forums you have time to exercise a little.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I am willing to put in the work but doing an hour+ of running every single day is too extreme for a 0.5lb a week loss when other people have options of 1 or 2lb a week. I'd be happier just eating less.

Why is it so important that I not eat less as a shorter person? The lowest number of calories to be healthy when you are short cannot be the same number as if you are really tall

It is partly that a body needs a certain amount of total energy (calories) but also that in order to be able to get adequate nutrition, one must eat a certain amount of calories to ensure they are getting macro and micronutrients in.

You really don't have to run an hour a day or kill yourself exercising. I am 5'2, 42 years old, have a full time job (at a desk) and two young children, and my TDEE is 2200. I'm maintaining a 30 lb loss after eating 1600-1900 to lose weight. I don't run at all - I get about 14K steps/day and I do light circuit training a few times a week.

You cant find 30 minutes a day to walk, ride a stationary bike, or pick up some dumbbells?

• WinoGelato
    Options

Yes that's right. I can do those things and I do walk to college at the moment and back but someone else said that I need to do more like an hour+ of running every day to reach that amount. That's just impossible for me :(

Let's back up. You are 18 years old, 4'11, and currently weigh 100 lbs and want to get down to 92 lbs? Where did you get the TDEE estimate of 1350 from? That seems pretty low for a young healthy female who walks to class and is as busy as you say you are, even though you are petite and already at a normal weight for your height.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    It somewhat amazes me when people whine about an innocuous post in his/her own thread, but then responds to others in a not-so-nice manner.
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    ...Lol she never said you HAD to run she said you could benefit alot from a little. And i literally said exercise is literally as simple as takign the stairs or walking around the block when you can. Stop taking bits an peices of peoples posts and holding them up as evidence life is unfair. Stop argueing and go for a *kitten* walk. IF you have time to argue on these forums you have time to exercise a little.

I'm not arguing I'm asking for help and advice from people and understanding more. I haven't attacked you please don't at me.

It is partly that a body needs a certain amount of total energy (calories) but also that in order to be able to get adequate nutrition, one must eat a certain amount of calories to ensure they are getting macro and micronutrients in.

You really don't have to run an hour a day or kill yourself exercising. I am 5'2, 42 years old, have a full time job (at a desk) and two young children, and my TDEE is 2200. I'm maintaining a 30 lb loss after eating 1600-1900 to lose weight. I don't run at all - I get about 14K steps/day and I do light circuit training a few times a week.

You cant find 30 minutes a day to walk, ride a stationary bike, or pick up some dumbbells?

Yeah I understand that first part but why is it the same number for people who are 150cm and 190cm? That doesn't make sense to me as people are different size bodies?

Your TDEE is really high and I'm not sure why mine isn't anywhere close to that we are only 8cm different :( Thanks though. I do walk 25 minutes to college and back now so that's 50 minutes. And I can do more exercise a few days a week I just don't have time to do a lot extra every day.
  • Berry_EG
    Options

Let's back up. You are 18 years old, 4'11, and currently weigh 100 lbs and want to get down to 92 lbs? Where did you get the TDEE estimate of 1350 from? That seems pretty low for a young healthy female who walks to class and is as busy as you say you are, even though you are petite and already at a normal weight for your height.

I used this website https://tdeecalculator.net
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    It somewhat amazes me when people whine about an innocuous post in his/her own thread, but then responds to others in a not-so-nice manner.

People complaining about life being unfair but unwilling to do anything to change it and someone not babying them and being blunt. She wants to eat more/ lose more she needs to workout. NOT the same as someone calling someone working hard young and irresponsible with nothing going on in their life because they make health a priority.

Also she posted asking for advice. And then wont take it. And is picking things people say apart to put it up in such a way it seems were telling her she NEEDS to work out non stop. Which no one ever said.

So yeah ima be blunt with her and tell heer what she needs to hear. Not apologizing for not babying her.
  • Berry_EG
    Options

I am frustrated and trying to understand more but I'm not trying to be rude to people. Sorry if I sound rude English isn't my first language I am just trying to ask for help :(
  • TR0berts
    Options

I am frustrated and trying to understand more but I'm not trying to be rude to people. Sorry if I sound rude English isn't my first language I am just trying to ask for help :(

No - you're fine.