Help and tips for short people

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Berry_EG wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    It somewhat amazes me when people whine about an innocuous post in his/her own thread, but then responds to others in a not-so-nice manner.

I am frustrated and trying to understand more but I'm not trying to be rude to people. Sorry if I sound rude English isn't my first language I am just trying to ask for help :(

That wasn't directed at you, it was directed at someone else.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    It somewhat amazes me when people whine about an innocuous post in his/her own thread, but then responds to others in a not-so-nice manner.

I am frustrated and trying to understand more but I'm not trying to be rude to people. Sorry if I sound rude English isn't my first language I am just trying to ask for help :(

He meant me. And im not a rude person exactly, Sorry i know it comes across as such. I apologize to you berry. BUT sometimes it saves alot of grief and going in circles if someone is just blunt with you. You want these results, So do these things. And stop picking apart and only reading what you want to read and then complaining its unfair. Completely ignoring the most useful posts.
  • Berry_EG
    Berry_EG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

People complaining about life being unfair but unwilling to do anything to change it and someone not babying them and being blunt. She wants to eat more/ lose more she needs to workout. NOT the same as someone calling someone working hard young and irresponsible with nothing going on in their life because they make health a priority.

Also she posted asking for advice. And then wont take it. And is picking things people say apart to put it up in such a way it seems were telling her she NEEDS to work out non stop. Which no one ever said.

So yeah ima be blunt with her and tell heer what she needs to hear. Not apologizing for not babying her.

I'm not complaining I'm just trying to understand and it is frustrating to me. When I said I can't do lots of extra exercise every day it is because I can't do it not because I don't want advice. I want all advice. I would happily eat less but it says not to eat less than 1200 and I am trying to know why
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

People complaining about life being unfair but unwilling to do anything to change it and someone not babying them and being blunt. She wants to eat more/ lose more she needs to workout. NOT the same as someone calling someone working hard young and irresponsible with nothing going on in their life because they make health a priority.

Also she posted asking for advice. And then wont take it. And is picking things people say apart to put it up in such a way it seems were telling her she NEEDS to work out non stop. Which no one ever said.

So yeah ima be blunt with her and tell heer what she needs to hear. Not apologizing for not babying her.

I'm not complaining I'm just trying to understand and it is frustrating to me. When I said I can't do lots of extra exercise every day it is because I can't do it not because I don't want advice. I want all advice. I would happily eat less but it says not to eat less than 1200 and I am trying to know why

You already said you do exercise. Im failing to see where you cant do exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP did you say what you currently weigh? I saw above you mentioned 100 - 92, is that your current weight and your goal weight? And you are 4'11,is that right?

You said you are so busy you don't have time to exercise, but you are 18? Are you in college? Work? Can you walk to class or walk to work? Find ways to increase your activity in other ways? I'm surprised you can't make 30 minutes of exercise a possibility in a day - it really will benefit you in the long run to make this a habit now.

Yes that's right. I can do those things and I do walk to college at the moment and back but someone else said that I need to do more like an hour+ of running every day to reach that amount. That's just impossible for me :(

Let's back up. You are 18 years old, 4'11, and currently weigh 100 lbs and want to get down to 92 lbs? Where did you get the TDEE estimate of 1350 from? That seems pretty low for a young healthy female who walks to class and is as busy as you say you are, even though you are petite and already at a normal weight for your height.

I used this website https://tdeecalculator.net

I used the same one. With your estimates that you walk to and from class, ie 50 minutes/day, you shouldn't be selecting sedentary. That is equivalent to exercise - and therefore, your TDEE is likely at least 1500.

You need to start with the basics - have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts?
    Try reading through these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Especially this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Go with the 1200 cals that MFP gave you. Log all the foods you eat, ideally using a food scale for accuracy. Continue with your current activity and on days you do go to the gym or do some intentional exercise, eat some of those back. I think you are going to lose 0.5 lb/week and be at your goal in 15 or so weeks... that is assuming that your goal is a healthy one. 92 lbs is pretty low, maybe even underweight for your height? Are you looking for a number on a scale or a certain body aesthetic, because you may get the results you're looking for by focusing on strength training instead of weight loss...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OP did you say what you currently weigh? I saw above you mentioned 100 - 92, is that your current weight and your goal weight? And you are 4'11,is that right?

You said you are so busy you don't have time to exercise, but you are 18? Are you in college? Work? Can you walk to class or walk to work? Find ways to increase your activity in other ways? I'm surprised you can't make 30 minutes of exercise a possibility in a day - it really will benefit you in the long run to make this a habit now.

Yes that's right. I can do those things and I do walk to college at the moment and back but someone else said that I need to do more like an hour+ of running every day to reach that amount. That's just impossible for me :(

Let's back up. You are 18 years old, 4'11, and currently weigh 100 lbs and want to get down to 92 lbs? Where did you get the TDEE estimate of 1350 from? That seems pretty low for a young healthy female who walks to class and is as busy as you say you are, even though you are petite and already at a normal weight for your height.

I put your stats in and came up with 1367 for sedentary. I certainly wouldn't classify you as sedentary. At least Light Exercise, as you walk to/from class. Using that, I come up with 1566 for your TDEE. A 1/2 lb per week loss puts you at an estimated 1316 Cals per day, in that case.
  • Berry_EG
    Options

I don't do exercise. I can work out that I can a few days a week but not every day.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

I don't do exercise. I can work out that I can a few days a week but not every day.

You said you walk to class
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Walking to and from class would be considered exercise... I'm guessing there are other activities that you do which may also be increasing your total daily calorie burn. You are not sedentary and you likely can lose weight eating even MORE than 1200 cals.
  • Berry_EG
    Options

I used the same one. With your estimates that you walk to and from class, ie 50 minutes/day, you shouldn't be selecting sedentary. That is equivalent to exercise - and therefore, your TDEE is likely at least 1500.

You need to start with the basics - have you read the stickied most helpful forum posts?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Especially this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Go with the 1200 cals that MFP gave you. Log all the foods you eat, ideally using a food scale for accuracy. Continue with your current activity and on days you do go to the gym or do some intentional exercise, eat some of those back. I think you are going to lose 0.5 lb/week and be at your goal in 15 or so weeks... that is assuming that your goal is a healthy one. 92 lbs is pretty low, maybe even underweight for your height? Are you looking for a number on a scale or a certain body aesthetic, because you may get the results you're looking for by focusing on strength training instead of weight loss...

I put your stats in and came up with 1367 for sedentary. I certainly wouldn't classify you as sedentary. At least Light Exercise, as you walk to/from class. Using that, I come up with 1566 for your TDEE. A 1/2 lb per week loss puts you at an estimated 1316 Cals per day, in that case.

The option for light exercise says I do exercise 1-2 days a week. I do walk to college 4 days every week but isn't that counted just in living?

I'll read those threads too now
  • TR0berts
    Options
    That said, is it correct, that you're trying to lose more weight? 100 lb doesn't seem to be overweight for you at 4'11".
  • Berry_EG
    Options

You said you walk to class

Walking to and from class would be considered exercise... I'm guessing there are other activities that you do which may also be increasing your total daily calorie burn. You are not sedentary and you likely can lose weight eating even MORE than 1200 cals.

Ok but doesn't everyone in the world walk around a bit during the day unless they are in a wheelchair. How do I know the difference between a thing that is exercise and a thing that is just normal?
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

Especially this one:

The option for light exercise says I do exercise 1-2 days a week. I do walk to college 4 days every week but isn't that counted just in living?

Not if you put sedentary...which your not.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Berry_EG. I love your apple-cuddling kitty.

I'm also 5 feet tall, with a 9-hour-a-day desk job; and I'm 58, which means I get less lee-way than you do. But I was able to lose 34 pounds over about 8 months eating at around 1200 calories. It helped that I took - and continue to take - walking breaks during the day (eat lunch at desk, use my actual lunch hour to stretch and walk, for example). A 30-minute walk at a brisk NYC-pace will give me a good 1000 extra calories to burn, and it clears my head nicely.
  • Berry_EG
    Options
    That said, is it correct, that you're trying to lose more weight? 100 lb doesn't seem to be overweight for you at 4'11".

I'm not overweight by the BMI numbers but I have a very small frame so I look bad. I worked out that 92 is the lowest for not underweight so I want to be that and hopefully I don't look as bad
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Especially this one:

That's what I've been trying to say. Just because you don't go to the gym and sweat your tail off on a machine, doesn't mean you don't exercise. My exercise is walking about 1 hour/day. You do that going to and from class, probably carrying a backpack filled with heavy textbooks. Whether it is counted as exercise or counted in your NEAT (non exercise activity level), it still counts toward your overall calorie burn for the day. You are not sedentary and you are likely burning more than 1500 cals/day, so to lose, you should be eating 1200 or more (and I'm still wondering if losing weight is the best goal for you).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not overweight by the BMI numbers but I have a very small frame so I look bad. I worked out that 92 is the lowest for not underweight so I want to be that and hopefully I don't look as bad

Are you sure that weight loss is what you want? If you just "look bad," you may be happier adding muscle instead of losing weight.
  • TR0berts
    Options

Especially this one:

Well, yes. But that calculator doesn't have a setting for what I'd call "real" activity level.

Using the calculator over at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, and choosing Sedentary, with a 10% reduction, it gives 1379 Calories.

You'll find that many different calculators give different values. The trick is to pick one, eat at that Calorie level for a while (like a month), and evaluate where you are then. If you have to, you can tweak things at that point. Before, if something is obviously wrong.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

If you don't like the way your body looks at 100 lbs, and you don't do any purposeful exercise, it is likely you won't like the way your body will look at 92 lbs either. You need to focus on strength training, not on losing more weight. I know you won't like that answer since you think you can't find time to exercise, but give this a read:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • TR0berts
    Options

OK, now I think we're getting somewhere. After you check out that link that @WinoGelato posted, note that it only takes a few days a week. Can you use the strength equipment in your university gym? If so, great! 2-3 times per week will probably do wonders for you. Putting on just a little muscle - I think - will help. And, if you can't use the gym, then a simple bodyweight program will work, too.