• solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, heavy lifting and HIIT cardio
  • Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi, as I have been to a dietitian for advice as I have tummy fat, both surrounding and inside, the dietitian has said to reduce wheat based carbs, IE 1 slice of bread at breakfast or high fibre cereal or 2 slices of bread at lunchtime. Also I have been told to reduce fats heavily, IE 1 tsp of fat at lunch or dinner and use fry-light if going to fry things and cut off all visible fat off meat.

Low fat spreads, mayonnaise's and so on will also help. The only exception to low fat would be healthy fat in oily fish like fresh salmon, fresh or tinned tuna in water or brine, sardines to name but a few.
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. I read once that we have to change our eating and exercise habits before we see results, and then continue until we're at healthy weight. I also read that surrounding our abdomen with muscle, like exercising legs and lower back, will give us the stamina to shred belly fat as our metabolism kicks in. When we have strong legs and strong core we can run or ride a bike or elliptical for endurance which kicks in our metabolism. Anyway good luck and don't forget to friend me. I have the same problem.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take some measurements. Your tummy could very well be shrinking - albeit, slowly. If you are not already, get a tape measure and take monthly measurements. As you continue to lose weight, you will probably be pleasantly surprised. I also agree with lifting heavy as someone stated above.

Since you have already lost 30lbs, you clearly know what it takes to lose weight. Congrats on that!!
  • oorie
    oorie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hi, as I have been to a dietitian for advice as I have tummy fat, both surrounding and inside, the dietitian has said to reduce wheat based carbs, IE 1 slice of bread at breakfast or high fibre cereal or 2 slices of bread at lunchtime. Also I have been told to reduce fats heavily, IE 1 tsp of fat at lunch or dinner and use fry-light if going to fry things and cut off all visible fat off meat.

Low fat spreads, mayonnaise's and so on will also help. The only exception to low fat would be healthy fat in oily fish like fresh salmon, fresh or tinned tuna in water or brine, sardines to name but a few.

The only way any of those things are going to help is if they help you maintain a caloric deficit. No food, exercise, supplement or magic spell selectively targets belly fat, or fat in any particular place on your body. As has been said over and over again in this thread, your fat distribution pattern is established by your genetics. When you lose weight, it will come off in accordance to how your genetics dictate you lose weight. There's nothing you can do to change that. Nothing. Ab-so-lutel-ly nothing. Your dietitian is unnecessarily complicating things for no good reason.

Fat is inert. It has no contractile properties (like a muscle does), it just lays there. It can't be exercised, it can't be "shredded" or "blasted" or "melted" or "zapped". When you exercise the muscles underneath the fat in a particular area of the body, you're exercising the muscles - not the fat itself. The fat is just laying there doing what fat does, which is being fat. As has been repeatedly said (in this thread and every other of the thousands of "belly fat" threads on MFP), the only way you'll lose fat is through a caloric deficit - and you'll lose it in the order your genetics dictate, and you can't change that. Keep at it and eventually your belly fat will come off, but there's no way to hurry the process along or make it go away there before everywhere else.

Ok I understand that but is there a way to keep from gaining belly fat
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    oorie wrote: »

The only way any of those things are going to help is if they help you maintain a caloric deficit. No food, exercise, supplement or magic spell selectively targets belly fat, or fat in any particular place on your body. As has been said over and over again in this thread, your fat distribution pattern is established by your genetics. When you lose weight, it will come off in accordance to how your genetics dictate you lose weight. There's nothing you can do to change that. Nothing. Ab-so-lutel-ly nothing. Your dietitian is unnecessarily complicating things for no good reason.

Fat is inert. It has no contractile properties (like a muscle does), it just lays there. It can't be exercised, it can't be "shredded" or "blasted" or "melted" or "zapped". When you exercise the muscles underneath the fat in a particular area of the body, you're exercising the muscles - not the fat itself. The fat is just laying there doing what fat does, which is being fat. As has been repeatedly said (in this thread and every other of the thousands of "belly fat" threads on MFP), the only way you'll lose fat is through a caloric deficit - and you'll lose it in the order your genetics dictate, and you can't change that. Keep at it and eventually your belly fat will come off, but there's no way to hurry the process along or make it go away there before everywhere else.

Ok I understand that but is there a way to keep from gaining belly fat

Yes. By eating at maintenance (or deficit) and not gaining fat.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Don't gain weight.

Generally the last place we lose weight is the first place we gain it. So if you don't want to gain belly fat, don't gain weight. If you want to lose it, keep on losing weight until it goes.... It may be the last place you see notable improvement. I would suggest, as recommended above, that you take measurements of your waistline. You may be getting smaller, jut not noticing it because your legs are getting smaller faster...
  • VirtualMellie
    VirtualMellie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    oorie wrote: »
    Its like the only thing i'm trying to lose but i keep losing in my legs and my legs are tiny its so aggravating! But the best thing i'm trying to do is cutting down on my carb intake.

I've always heard the belly is the last to go, idk personally. I look like I'm 6 months pregnant.. :neutral: so I totally feel your pain. I bloat a lot and for me less bread helps with that a lot.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    As you workout and diet.. your clothes can make a difference. Wearing a dark solid color on top works well. Make sure your tops are not tight and go down past the waist. You can also layer that top with a blazer, jacket, or sweater to give a more sliming look. Also.. your pants.. make sure there is a flare at the bottom to balance a bigger top. Peg leg skinny jeans, unless worn with boots.. will make you look top heavy.
  • Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    Options

i agree with all you have said, having said that and as a diabetic with not only fat around the tummy area it is in between the organs too, I will follow a diabetic dietitians advice and so far it is working as the fat IS coming off