Topamax for Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another side note. I just got a word and a new diagnosis from this thread for something I knew happened but didn't know was anything beyond general cognitive impairment! My aphasia is just from generally being mentally ill, though I wouldn't be surprised if my time on quetiapine exacerbated it a bit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    My doctor just prescribed Topamax to help me lose weight. Anyone have any experience with this medicine?
    Lol, sorry but prescribing a med for seizures and migraines so you can achieve weight loss sounds pretty dumb to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Edit: This is why you'll see frequent edits on my posts. I often type the wrong word.

Same problem, and I won't even know I've done it until I go back and read what I've written. It's bizarre.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I took this for a short time (not for weight loss) and I did have a bit of issue finding correct words, but the weirdest side effect for me was that I couldn't taste bubbles (carbon dioxide maybe?). Like, I would drink a glass of pop or beer or whatever and even though I could SEE the bubbles, and I just opened it, it would taste 100% flat. So trippy. I always thought that was a physical touch sensation, but it has to be linked to taste receptors.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I get aphasia (forgetting and substituting words) from my current med (Nortriptyline) but the cognitive impairment on Topamax was profound. I'm talking about forgetting the next step in tasks I had performed millions of times, being unable to form sentences, not being able to reach logical conclusions, difficulty driving or responding to emergencies, etc. I was as impaired by the Topamax as I was by the daily chronic migraines. I gave it a considerable amount of time as I went on disability for about six months. It did help the migraines, but I was also a shell unable to complete more than the simplest of tasks. My hands burned and tingled pretty much randomly, no matter what I was doing.

That said, I've met a number of people that tolerate it well and I've met people that don't tolerate the nortrip well, though I have very few side effects other than the very mild and tolerable aphasia. There's nothing wrong with trying it to see if it can be tolerated, but the potential significant side effects are well known and suffered by a lot of people that use it (and are known to be sometimes long-term or permanent), and should not be minimized.

Interesting side note: I have aphasia from a benign brain tumor, so... eh, Topomax? Hardly noticed the difference :p

Edit: This is why you'll see frequent edits on my posts. I often type the wrong word.
    I do a lot of editing too and I have no excuses! You're good gottaburn!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My doctor just prescribed Topamax to help me lose weight. Anyone have any experience with this medicine?
    Lol, sorry but prescribing a med for seizures and migraines so you can achieve weight loss sounds pretty dumb to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dumb or not, this medication is frequently prescribed 'off-label' (as in not for its intended use) as a weight loss aid, generally to people who drastically need to lose weight to negate the risk factors of obesity (stroke, heart disease etc) and have been struggling to do so.

Metformin (an oral hypoglycaemic used generally in type 2 diabetics) is another drug prescribed off label for weight loss.

Many drugs are used for more than one purpose.

Topomax (topiramate) for example is an anti-epileptic by class but used to treat seizure disorders, as a mood stabiliser, treat migraine, treat ancient disorders as well as weight loss.

Many drugs are useful in the pharmaceutical management of a variety of ailments not just their intended primary application.

Whether prescribing drugs to help weight loss at all is the way to go ... well that's an entirely different discussion.
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Update. I stopped taking it. Couldn't remember words or more so I would say words I didn't mean. Like I would want to say "beanie" and would say "hoodie" like 10 times before I realized. I also couldn't remember what an acordan was. It didn't help with my appetite at all. I will just keep doing what i am doing.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I take topamax for my migraines and i gained 90lbs while on it. :/ never heard of it being used for weightloss, i stopped taking it in sep and i've lost 22lbs. Maybe my body just hates me XD

The doped up feeling is why i quit them too :( it sucks when you're studying.

If you're looking to feel fuller see if you need more fiber in your diet and take metamucil caps. I only take them in the morning with my protein shake and banana and it fills me up until 1pm. I also started drinking a glass of water before each meal and another during. No more desire to snack or overeatt and i'm reaching my 8 glasses a day!!!

Hope it all works out for you :)
  • steeliepink
    steeliepink Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dalceridae wrote: »
    With any medication, you'll always hear more about the people who took it and had problems than the people who took it and found it helpful. No one can predict what side effects you might have or how much they might affect you, so it's worth taking the advice of your doctor and trying it.

First time poster here who feels it is important to chime in and say that I am one of the ones who is taking topiramate and finding it helpful. Currently 250mg a day. I've been around MFP for years but only recently serious since around Sept/Oct. In the fall I was 245lbs and am currently 180lbs -- Female, 5'2" with no goal weight, just a goal of being fit and healthy. I drive, yes there are side effects but they are worth it so far, no there is not an alternative rx for me (we've tried), yes there has been a bit of touch and go with taste perversion and appetite fluctuation (that stabilizes). It's important to note that I have also done a major lifestyle overhaul and eat AIP to help heal my gut and injury symptoms (will switch back to Paleo soon) which means I have cut all grains, dairy, sugar and processed foods alongside CICO, weighing food, meal prepping and adding cardio. It's about lifestyle too I've learned... wellness yo. I have plateaued in various stages as well.

Don't give up after a plateau that lasts a few weeks. It might go on for two or three times that or maybe it'll end tomorrow, it doesn't mean that you are done losing weight (for what it's worth I'm currently in a plateau of 2.5 weeks that feels like FOREVER). On the flip side of that, just because a side effect is a listed side effect, it doesn't mean it's going to be an issue for you. There are good drugs and bad drugs and drugs that are good for some people and bad for others. You don't know why I take this medication and you don't know why it is working for my health just as we don't really know what is going on with you and your specific symptoms so it's important to get as much information as possible and review it with your own wellness team before you make a decision to continue/discontinue.

I realize I'm late to the game but wanted to make sure future readers know that not all prescriptions are awful for everyone.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My doc suggested for me with headaches and the. Said it would help with weight loss too. It took about 30 seconds of googling for me to figure out that unless I truly needed it that I wasn't going to be taking it.

I changed my eating habits and started exercising pretty hard...I too have 100 to lose.

IMO...unless you really need it, try some other methods. The side effects just seemed to be too much.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Using a supplemental green tea or Ginseng can help with that as well.
    According to Mosby's 2012 Nursing Drug Reference, ginsing decreases the effect of topiramate.

Common side effects include:
    dizziness, fatigue, memory loss, tremor, anxiety
    vision abnormality
    nausea, anorexia (which is why some use it for weight loss)

I'm on a fairly low dose for migraine prevention, and it's worked well for me, though I have seen some less than great side effects. (I'd say anorexia would be a good side effect, since I need to eat less, but haven't experienced that.)

A short-term plateau isn't worrisome. If it continues, change something. Do sprint intervals, try a different more challenging form of cardio, decrease calories 50-100 a day & see what happens in 2 weeks.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I took this several years ago with mixed results...my Dr. prescribed it as a weight loss medication, worked like a charm. Killed my appetite (everything tasted like metal, yuck) and I lost more than 60 lbs in less than 6 months. Problem is I was constantly in a fog (almost like I was constantly buzzed), he actually had to prescribe me an additional medication for ADHD to bring me back to the point where I could function at work. Gained all of my weight back within a year after getting off the meds.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 140 pounds. I'm 5'11 and 287 pounds. I have bipolar I disorder but I am already on a medication for it. My weight loss has stopped. I actually gained 4 pounds. I'm eating 1600 calories per day. I do 30 minutes aerobics in the morning and walk/jog 2 miles every evening 5 days per week. I have not slipped on my diet. Even Thanksgiving I didn't exceed my calorie goal. He thinks the medicine will make me want to eat less and get me out of the slump.

If u are bipolar and take Quetiapine for example (not sure if u do) it is not uncommon to be prescribed topamax for weight control
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that as my Dr increased my dosage, I started to experience the "pins & needles" feelings in my fingers and feet. Easily controlled by exercise for me, seemed to disappear with just 20-30 minutes on the treadmill in my case which obviously helped my weight loss. Not sure if this is the norm but this was my experience.