What is your demon?

Options
Just out of curiosity, how did you gain your weight? I am a boredom/emotional eater and mindless snacker. I think my biggest challenge has been to eat more mindfully and both to notice and enjoy every bite that passes my lips.

Are you a boredom eater? A binge eater? Is your struggle with portion sizes? I would love to hear about others' journeys - what habits brought you here and how you fight those specific demons.

Cheers,

Jenny

Replies

• RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I quit smoking and gained about 15 pounds over the winter....ick!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    not paying attention to portion sizes and eating way too much at night, plus not exercising, I had a few demons
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bad portion sizes and generally unhealthy eating habits - ie fast food lunch at the mall, or 2 timmies donuts for breakfast. and just not realizing how bad it was for me!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I got preggo again, and again, and again, and again and again again :)
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was an emotional eater. I would literally sit and eat a whole sleeve of oreo's or a whole box of Drumstick ice cream cones. It was awful. I'm still somewhat battling that but its nowhere near as bad.
  • SweetStrawberry
    Options
    Binge eater right here! ---usually at night time
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    SODA.....and just a love for fast food, candy, and junk... :( Exercise doesn't do much when your feeding yourself bad food :(
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like food and beer and didn't exercise much. That's pretty much it.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Booze and junk food... pizza, Chinese and BBQ. Then add in lazyness and it was perfect storm of fat production! Forgot to meniton donuts I still walk past the coffee cart and the guy says hello to me waiting to sell me a pink frosted donut. lol

Now I still enjoy some drinks, and BBQ but make sure I work at the gym before indulging.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Cappucino from the gas station...beer...cocktails...lots of fried food and no exercise. And a lot of denial about how I looked. Every time I bought a bigger pants size I'd tell myself "Oh, it's *only* one more size up."
  • m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    I read constantly, and always seemed to need a snack when I was reading... That and I never paid attention to portion sizes... I always thought one pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream was the portion size! :laugh:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    my emotions for sure
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    oops
  • OPQ37
    OPQ37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was at a healthy weight for a while but gained 20 lbs after a car accident put me out of commission for a few months, followed immediately by pregnany. Those were easy to get over

I'm still battling the demons from the first time I lost the weight...binge eating, trigger foods, etc.
    My binge trigger is definitely lonliness. I fill the time with LOTS of food. And not carrot sticks either.

I've gotten better with being able to eat a reasonable portion of chips or ice cream, but peanut butter and breakfast cereal still send me into a tailspin.

I think there's also some kind of mental thing with "punishing" myself for food. I don't know exactly how to describe it
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Started going out with my boyfriend, and it was easier to order pizza multiple nights a week and snuggle on the sofa, that it was to cook ourselves. God knows why, not as if it is particularly difficult now when we're eating entirely different things. Sighs. Though not like that was entirely to blame. Led a life entirely without exercising, and I've never been a fan of fruit and veg. Combination of factors I guess.
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That bag of chips that my wife and kids like to leave open on the counter when I get home from work.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy....Lol. I had my daughter at 18 and while I didn't put on much weight...what I did put on has stayed right on my stomach. I still can't get rid of it...need a darn tummy tuck.
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    CARBS are my weakness..I could eat 1 egg with 4 pieces of texas toast..then carbs for lunch and carbs for dinner. I can give up soda, chips, chocolate and beer...just please don't take away my breads and pasta's.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I was a closet emotional binge eater. It was a very hard thing to stop & even now I have to mentally shake myself out of it.

I also over ate in the same typical American way.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Blame it on the a-a-a-a-alcohol....