Question for Cyclists

Options
I have a nice Trek mountain bike which I bought a tandem attachment so my son could keep up and we could have a nice ride. However I have always had an issue with seats. It like when I sit down I have a bony butt.

Yesterday we went on an 11 mile bike ride (tracked by endomondo) and it was so nice to get out but by the 9th mile I was having discomfort. Is this normal should I go for another ride today? Is it something I need to break in? i know weird questions but we had such a good time and I would love to go out again but I don't want to be in even more pain! lol

Any insights are appreciated. :)

Replies

• etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can buy a gel seat cover at Kmart or Target for around $15 that will help if it keeps being a problem.
  • eveydunton
    eveydunton Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can get gel cycle seat covers which are great.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You can buy a gel seat cover at Kmart or Target for around $15 that will help if it keeps being a problem.

I forgot to add i did buy a new seat last summer it has the gel in it....Maybe too narrow or something?
  • JSK81114
    JSK81114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow cyclist!

The bike seat just takes some getting used to. It gets better with time! If it hurt yesterday and you ride today it will probably REALLY hurt for the first 5-10 minutes, but after that you won't feel a thing.

Enjoy the ride!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    WIth time one can get used to the seats. Padded bike shorts are invaluable. You can also replace the seat easily. For now I would go with the padded shorts and work up gradually and you will likely get more comfortable on the seat. If not then replace the seat.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things, the actual seat itself, the height of the seat, how far forward it is, etc. If you take into a bike shop, they might be able to help you make adjustments that could solve the problem.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My brother recently gave me his old bike as he upgraded... My bike was a cheapo and I had a gel seat cover from Kmart. I had pain on my tailbones every time I rode with my old bike. This new bike that he gave me he had bought a proper seat from the bike shop (about $60) and had it fitted. Might I say... miracle. I love love love this better seat. It's definitely worth it in my opinion.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    exactly. A real bike shop too. Highly encouraged.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

I forgot to add i did buy a new seat last summer it has the gel in it....Maybe too narrow or something?
    As a avid cyclist your seat matters alot but i can tell you that a gel anything when riding is no what you want because it will put pressure in places that is really going to hurt and possible give you blisters in the wrong spots. My suggestion is find a good local bike shop and be fitted for a seat. I ride both rode and mnt bike they are both specialized bike one is a FSR the mountain bike and Specialized rode bike well over $100 to $200 invested in a saddles for them not everyone needs to spend that much on a saddle but getting fitted is important. hope that helps :)
  • bjpa2001
    bjpa2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have just started mountain biking too and am having the same issue. My boyfriend has been at it for over a year now and swears it gets better as you ride more. I started on a bigger seat because I thought it would be more comfortable but it is actually worse and I went back to a slimmer seat with gel cushions. Standing on one leg some takes the pressure off for a bit too. Stick with it and I think it will get better! It sure is fun which makes it easier to stick!!
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First thing, as others have stated, get a good pair of padded shorts. They're definitely worth the investment. The more comfortable you are on the bike, the more you'll want to ride it.

Next, I would make sure that the seat is position correctly: angle, height, etc. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting it yourself, a bike shop should be able to do it for you for free.

Finding a bike seat is difficult 'cause what feels good sitting on in the bike shop may not feel so good after an hour in the saddle. Me personally, I've found good success with these saddles for comfort: http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/recreation/ . I have one on my mtn bike and used to have one on a cheaper road bike I used to own. Right now I've got a 16.5 lb road bike with a really narrow seat and I couldn't ride it for more than 30 min without my butt starting to hurt. The more I road the more I got used to it. Now I have no problem riding a couple hours straight on it.