10 miles a day?

Options
I try to make sure I get my 10 000 steps a day which is around 5miles. I have done a day before that ended up being 10 miles a day. I feel like maybe if I can try to be active and walk about 10 miles a day would help me lose weight as well. I eat about 75 percent healthy. I'm not saying all that at once just with my workout and moving more at the end of the day be at 10 miles

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you have a question about how to do this or want to know if other people do it?
  • hopemc061915
    hopemc061915 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone has done it. I'm scared it might be to hard on my body but I'm hoping if it's just slow that it won't be. and if anyone has any tips or anything that would be awesome
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I average just under 20,000 steps/day. If you're already in decent enough shape to get 10,000 steps/day, doubling that (especially if spread out over the day) will not be hard on your body. It would only be hard on you if you had joint pain or similar health issues. Humans evolved to walk a lot.
  • hopemc061915
    Options
    do you feel like it help you lose weight or maintain it if that's your goal. I'm losing weight maybe 3 pounds a month let's say maybe 5 I know it's a life style change but I would love to be down more and feeling slimmer. I already work out 7 days a week that being said a couple days are just relax days of just getting in a bit of cardio and not working my legs or arms and etc.
  • hopemc061915
    Options
    but I usually take a 2 hour nap with my 1 year old during the day so I'm thinking if I cut that and walk at 4mph for some time instead of napping I'll reach my goal weight
  • SusanMFindlay
    edited December 2016
    Options
    do you feel like it help you lose weight or maintain it if that's your goal.

I'm losing weight, and I've lost almost 30 pounds since the end of July. I could have lost the weight with less activity, but then I would have had to eat less. Most of my walking is just part of my daily routine; only about a quarter of it is consciously "walking for exercise" - and that's as much about letting the rest of my family get exercise as anything else.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Not a problem at all, as long as you dont have joint or health problems that prevent it, walking is one of the easiest most gentle ways to get your exercise. I used to walk up mountains (hiking) to lose weight 3-5x per week and lost over 50lbs doing it in over a year or so. Hiking more steep or uneven trails would wear on me a bit, so I'd just walk my dogs about 1-2hr on days in between.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You could walk 20 miles a day - eat 100% healthy (whatever that means in your definition) and not lose any weight at all.

The only thing the extra walking is going to do is allow you to perhaps eat the same amount as you do now, but still lose weight.

And for many that don't want to eat less to lose weight - that's the solution. Eat the same but do more.

Walking eventually won't be the workout it starts out being though, so you'll have to go faster or add incline, and even then moving less mass around, you'll have to start eating less anyway.

And if sick or life makes it not possible to walk as much - better learn to eat less anyway.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended not to add more than 10% a week to your mileage (so, add 1,000 steps a day in the first week, another 1,000 - 1,100 steps a day in the second week, etc.). This is to avoid injury.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended not to add more than 10% a week to your mileage (so, add 1,000 steps a day in the first week, another 1,000 - 1,100 steps a day in the second week, etc.). This is to avoid injury.

For running yes, for walking no.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you're eating less calories than you're burning...whether that's in 10,000 steps or 20,000 and you'l lose weight :-)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Moving more will mean you could create a bigger calorie deficit. But to lose the most important thing is to track your calorie intake so you know you are eating less than you are burning.

For a few years I consistently did 20k+ steps a day, not all at one time - I'd run most week days to get the first 5 miles in and the rest was just me going about my usual day to day activities at work/home with an evening walk. It helped me still lose as I could eat more and still lose (I'm not one of those people who easily can eat low cal so moving more meant I could eat 1800-2000 calories a day and lose 0.5lb a week/maintenance was 2400 on high steps days - being only 5ft 2 means I have to be active to earn more calories in general). My joints started giving me grief eventually (after about 3 yrs of being very active) so I have since have to cut back slightly but there's nothing wrong with aiming to be as active as long as your health permits it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I spent 3 months dieting and used walking as my sole form of cardio. During that period I averaged 20k a day wit some days exceeding 40k. There is nothing wrong at all doing this and the only negative is that it can be time consuming.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

Well, yes, the 10% rule is probably not necessary, but it is better to follow a starting plan,
    like, say, this
    http://rw.runnersworld.com/training-plan-finder/start-walking-plan.html
    especially if someone is obese and sedentary...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone has done it. I'm scared it might be to hard on my body but I'm hoping if it's just slow that it won't be. and if anyone has any tips or anything that would be awesome

Yeah, lots of people do it. I do it about 50% of the time (hit 20,000 steps, I mean), and sometimes much more on a long run day when I also walk a bunch or if I have a reason to be walking around all day. I don't think it's hard on your body if you work up to it and aren't getting it by something like hard running every day. Walking is quite easy on your body and the body can also be trained to have a lot more activity than most have.
  • SusanMFindlay
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

Well, yes, the 10% rule is probably not necessary, but it is better to follow a starting plan,
    like, say, this
    http://rw.runnersworld.com/training-plan-finder/start-walking-plan.html
    especially if someone is obese and sedentary...

The OP says they already get 10,000 steps/day. They are not sedentary.