Eating for blood type

Has anyone looked into Dr. Peter D'adamos diet theory of eating for your blood type?
If yes, have you noticed a change?

I'm interested in this "diet" however it seems very strange and would like some personal opinions on it!

On that note also, does anyone want to possibly start a group with me where we can start this "diet"?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    No.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Negative.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    No
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited December 2016
    If you think about it logically, 38% of the population are O positive, meaning 38% of the population should be eating the same things to lose weight? Does that sound right to you?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    This is still a thing? Who knew.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    No.

Caloric deficit = weight loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It says I should eat low carb, no way in hell! I've tried low carb, not for me :s
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    It's just another crackpot selling another crackpot diet book. No scientific evidence whatsoever showing it's valid or useful. Eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight, your blood type has nothing to do with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    It's bogus. I GUARANTEE you that if you ate whatever was mentioned for you by this "Dr", but ate in surplus, you won't lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Do you honestly think with millions of years of human evolution that has enabled us to thrive in all manner of circumstances and conditions that we'd really need some specific food or diet as per our blood type?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    "Very strange" sells more diet books, and ad space than "eat less and move more." This diet is nonsense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    so just for sh!ts and giggles, I had a look at what blood group B should eat and avoid.

Apparently I shouldn't eat any shellfish (crab, shrimp, lobster, mussels, oysters, crayfish, clams, etc), cut out tomatoes, and avoid pasta. Bollocks to that. One of my favourite foods in the entire world, is a huge bowlful of cioppino served over linguine.

Think I'll stick with the shoe size diet.

I'm B too, and when I looked at it (for amusement only, and it's entirely possible that different pages on the blood type have different recommendations), it also said to avoid chicken and eat lots of goat and dairy. Avoid grains in general. I decided it was based on the presumed diet of people riding all day over the steppes and ending the day with some fermented mare's milk. I also decided it was probably the Dothraki diet.

Someone pointed out that the places where B is most common is in Asian countries with a high incidence of lactose intolerance, so this idea that B=should consume lots of dairy is weird. Of course, I love dairy and do well with it, but that's probably because most of my ancestry is from countries where dairy has been consumed for a long time, and in which type B is generally quite rare.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Op things that helped me...

Don't diet ever again
    Eat the foods you love within the calorie goal set by Mfp or a TDEE calculator set for a cut
    After a few months play with your macros to find a combo that helps keep you satisfied
    Read and read the forums here.

There is so many diet myths that continue to be repeated by so called experts that are just trying to make a buck.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    There is no human group that is 100% all the same blood type, and yet for much of history most members of a community ate pretty much the same thing most of the time. Blood type can't be the factor that controls what diet a cultural group is adapted to eat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Eating for blood type is just as effective as eating for eye color, horoscope or shoe size.

I have blue eyes. What should I eat to lose weight? I like this idea. Please say it's ice cream, beer, and chocolate!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    My blood type is AB also and when this first came out a couple of family members were pushing the diet not to lose weight but because according to the book I'm a fragile snowflake. I think there was something about the older blood types being more stable and AB being newer and less robust. From what I remember there were all kinds of restrictions on what I should eat because I'm prone to cancer and other fatal diseases, and since this was pre-internet times I didn't really have any resources to check it out. I was actually scared silly for about a week (young and dumb).

Then I started thinking about genetics. A from my mother, B from my father, random chance. Why on earth would my genetic dispositions be the same as any of the other millions of people who were AB by random chance? And is there any evidence of higher rates of mortality in populations that are primarily AB? I assumed if so it would show up in Scientific American eventually (it didn't).

It's interesting that my daughters re-discovered this one not too long ago - probably on social media. I guess it's popular because it divides people into easily visible groups, no "you may be half this and half that" like body-type diets, and we all like tidy categories. And for some reason, restrictive diets always seem to catch people's attention, as if finding just the right combination of food for our physical type is the magic bullet for weight loss and health.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,713 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Eating for blood type is just as effective as eating for eye color, horoscope or shoe size.

I have blue eyes. What should I eat to lose weight? I like this idea. Please say it's ice cream, beer, and chocolate!

Nope, it's liver, spinach, and brussell sprouts.
  • nutmegoreo
    zorander6 wrote: »

:sick:

Aquarius: ice cream, beer, and chocolate?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    According to the website I'm descended from Middle Eastern farmers (but my siblings with different blood types are descended from different people, I guess?). I'm supposed to eat lots of fish (which I haven't had for ten years) and avoid garbanzo beans and potatoes, which I eat all the time. I'm also supposed to avoid "negative emotions" and "smoking." I guess those are okay for people of other blood types, but they're not good for me.

This looks . . . ridiculous.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    According to the website I'm descended from Middle Eastern farmers (but my siblings with different blood types are descended from different people, I guess?). I'm supposed to eat lots of fish (which I haven't had for ten years) and avoid garbanzo beans and potatoes, which I eat all the time. I'm also supposed to avoid "negative emotions" and "smoking." I guess those are okay for people of other blood types, but they're not good for me.

This looks . . . ridiculous.

No pot for you :-( /jk

I hadn't considered that. I have 4 siblings and not one is AB. Hmmm, wondering about all the mailman jokes now...
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member

It's just not your day is it? Sadly Aquarius is tapioca, cabbage, and snails.

I'm pretty certain Aries is ice-cream, beer, and chocolate.
  • nutmegoreo

You guize are so mean!

Shoe size 7.5: ice cream, chocolate, and beer?
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,713 Member
    edited December 2016

You guize are so mean!

Shoe size 7.5: ice cream, chocolate, and beer?

Combined with being Aquarius that means you get Haggus and Broccoli

Edit: Forgot the drink, you have to drink only Diet Pepsi