Anyone else have asymmetrical fat spots?

Options
Anyone else have asymmetrical fat spots? The right side of my (lower) tummy by my hip bone holds a lot more fat than my left! I can tell because of how much of the bone shows, and also by pinching the skin. It seems so drastic to me when I really look at it but I know its not big enough to be noticeable to others haha. Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed something like this on their own bodies :-)

**I am left-handed, but do everything besides writing with my right hand and I'm right foot dominant. However, I have a a weak right wrist so I have a hard time doing side planks and other right body things where I have to hold myself up. Wonder if any of this has anything to do with it or if it's just genetics! :-P

Perhaps I am favoring my left abs when I do exercises because it is easier/not painful? Not sure! It's probably not worth trying to overcompensate on my right side to even it out hehe

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Even body builder are not perfectly symmetrical, although they are judged on how symmetrical they are, so it they cannot be and they train hours/day, that does not leave much hope for the rest of us. I would chalk it up to 90% genetics.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yea, I feel like my abs tend to show better on one side than the other...Guess it isn't just me.
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    I totally know what you mean! I feel like I have more muscle on the right side of my stomach and the left side is a lot more soft, I am right handed and I think when I do ab exercises, I tend to favor my right side. Also, I noticed my right leg is more muscular because of the way I run, and also while doing p90x exercises involving legs such as lunges or anything else, I can't balance as well on my left, so I think I tend to work it less. Just one of those imperfectly perfect imperfections that people deal with :-)
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I had a surgery a few years back that left a hip-to-hip scar at my bikini line. I have tummy rolls that hang over more on the right side than the left. They have since my first surgery (I was less than 6 months post-baby #2) and it drives me crazy! I found out that I had keloids at the skin and muscle level a short time ago and had them treated and am now finally able to do sit ups without a ton of pain. But do you think that bigger flab is budging? No! lol

So I definitely feel your pain. :)
  • tobftt
    tobftt Posts: 6
    Options
    My stomach seems pretty even atm but my left thigh is 1.5 inches smaller than my right :( And for the longest time there was an inch discrepancy between my arms too... but they've finally evened out. I don't know really what can be done to even out some of these things but I'm sure as you lose more the differences will become smaller and less noticeable :D
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I have a bulging disc in my back which causes pain in my left sciatic nerve. I have WAY more fat on my left side than on my right. I think even when I am not in pain I tend to favor that side and use it less.
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    I ignored gall stones for three months and finally went to the doctor when I noticed just what you are describing. I could feel the difference . After having the GB removed I still had the imbalance until just recently (4months after).

It could be from you favoring your right side when exercising.
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    I ignored gall stones for three months and finally went to the doctor when I noticed just what you are describing. I could feel the difference . After having the GB removed I still had the imbalance until just recently (4months after).

It could be from you favoring your right side when exercising.
    Mine is like this too...I had my GB removed when I was 15...agh awful!!!! pain
    anyways my right side is drastically smaller than my left...its so frustrating no matter how much ab work i do with my left side I cant get them to even out!
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I have a big "pocket" of fat in the same place! My right thigh is also drastically bigger and fattier than the left. It really grosses me out! Unfortunately, you CAN see it on my stomach. I noticed in in pictures even when I was much, much thinner. Wish there was a way to break up all that fat without surgery. You're not alone!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've noticed a fat bulge on one butt cheek that the other side does not have, meanwhile on the opposite side I have a ridge of fat on the back of my thigh. So weird. :laugh:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You kill me because you actually mentioned something that I thought I was the only person who ever noticed things like this. My belly has stretch marks and flabby skin only on the left side of my abs due pregnancies.

I am goofy about making sure I get the same amount of work on both sides of my body....and when I do my judo practice I have to work a lot harder to make left sided grips/moves work so I tend to practice them slower and with less intensity so I do 5 more reps...to try to keep things balanced.