Anyone else lose easier when they do not exercise but net the same?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I net the same as always, sometimes less, but since exercising daily my weight has slowed way, way down. Anyone else experience this more often then not? I though it would stop after a week or two. Do you lose easier with or without exercise? Im thinking Ill start alternating between days I exercise and days I dont. It bugs me not seeing results at all. I used to lose weight easier when I exercised but my body seems to hold excess fluid now a lot more than before..maybe too much salt idk. But its irritating.

Replies

• Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Probably just water retention, the scale didn't move for 6 weeks for me when I started intense exercise. But you know this. You've been told this. Repeatedly.

So whats your point? I am asking if it is more common for people or less common. Not asking why. And if you dont like it you can always not respond.

EDIT: There I edited for clarification.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It is common to retain water weight if you've only started exercising - that can affect the scale reading for a few weeks I've found.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, it's common. Weight loss will pick back up again and you get to eat a little more food. Don't stop exercising.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you focus only on the short term and the scale, yes, it's common.

If you are focusing on longer term goals and overall fitness and body comp, no, I don't think that it is common for weight loss to be "easier" when you don't exercise. In that I could eat more and exercise helped me focus on fitness and give me a reason for weight loss, I found it easier when I did exercise. In terms of how much I lost in a month, I think if you keep the deficit the same it is not meaningfully different (this was my experience comparing light exercise to harder and more frequent exercise).

As others noted, it can be hard to estimate the calories burned from exercise, so if you overestimate and eat them back that can obviously make it harder.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I net the same as always, sometimes less, but since exercising daily my weight has slowed way, way down. Anyone else experience this more often then not? I though it would stop after a week or two. Do you lose easier with or without exercise? Im thinking Ill start alternating between days I exercise and days I dont. It bugs me not seeing results at all. I used to lose weight easier when I exercised but my body seems to hold excess fluid now a lot more than before..maybe too much salt idk. But its irritating.

Yes, because most people overestimate their caloric burn from exercising.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have totally seen this! It frustrates me but I keep thinking that part of the reason is because I'm not (hopefully) losing muscle weight as fast since I'm lifting and doing some cardio. When I don't exercise, I drop really fast. It can be totally depressing at times but I keep telling myself that if I keep lifting and eating less then I will eventually lose all that I need to. It's just going to be slower then I want it to be.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It's very common and there can be a variety of reasons.
    1. Over estimating burn
    2. Water weight
    3. Maintaining muscle, some of what you lose without exercise is muscle unless you are working to preserve it.

Either way I still think it's healthier to work out of you are able. You might lose a little slower at times but you are getting stronger and improving cardiovascular health.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    This is why measurements are a great tool. I relied on them more than the scale.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have definitely found my measurements to be a more motivating factor with the slower scale loss.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Hmm i find it easier to focus on diet for calorie deficit then working out, eating more to recover, and seeing the scale not move or even go up. It demotivates me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Probably just water retention, the scale didn't move for 6 weeks for me when I started intense exercise. But you know this. You've been told this. Repeatedly.

So whats your point? I am asking if it is more common for people or less common. Not asking why. And if you dont like it you can always not respond.

It's very common and I think the point is that you should make a distinction between water weight and fat weight because everybody's real goal is fat loss, and understanding the difference will help you achieve it more easily.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Yes, because most people overestimate their caloric burn from exercising.

I dont eat them back. I only eat back part.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I have totally seen this! It frustrates me but I keep thinking that part of the reason is because I'm not (hopefully) losing muscle weight as fast since I'm lifting and doing some cardio. When I don't exercise, I drop really fast. It can be totally depressing at times but I keep telling myself that if I keep lifting and eating less then I will eventually lose all that I need to. It's just going to be slower then I want it to be.

See thats how I feel too. Its like sometimes I just want to go back to only dieting. Same amount of food or very little difference and yet I lose quicker or at all? I stall for so long when I exercise.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Yes, my weight goes done a bit faster without exercise.
    However with exercise (specifically lifting) I lose a tad slower scale wise, but lose more inches and fat. This gives me a leaner look and I fit into smaller clothes sooner compared yo not working out. I also have more energy and just plain feel better.

Personal experience:
    I went from 260 lbs to 170 lbs before becoming pregnant with my second.
    After my 2nd was born I couldnt workout for almost 3 months (c-section complications). I did lose about 20 lbs in that time (212 - low 190's/high 180's). When I compare pics from approximately same weight before the pregnancy to after, I am definitely bigger in the after pregnancy pics even though Im approx the same weight. Difference was working out vs not working out.

My pants are falling off lol I guess thats a plus...not in a dirty way I mean like theyre too big :P lol