Anyone else lose easier when they do not exercise but net the same?

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're netting the same, I assume that you are eating back your exercise calories...you're most likely overestimating those burns and therefore, in reality, netting more.

I have a great deal of difficulty losing weight or maintaining weight without regular exercise because calorie targets are lame without exercise and I like to eat.

Well I guess netting the same is off netting in the same range and no I wouldnt maintain. I net like 1200 calories. even if I was off by 300 calories and netting 1500 I should lose weight. Im 206
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Hmm i find it easier to focus on diet for calorie deficit then working out, eating more to recover, and seeing the scale not move or even go up. It demotivates me.

I agree. 100%. I am more motivated by actual weight loss right now especially since Im in a contest still. Im close to winning and it would get me money for my kids for Christmas. I might stop exercising daily until it's over in 10 days.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks all. I was just wondering what's more common because this didn't happen to me the other times I lost weight (I gained it back twice from pregnancy and once this time from severe injury/being bedridden). Its all weird to me. Calories are fine since I doubt I maintain at 1500 and Ive lost there before so even if I eat over my goal of 1200 I shouldnt stall. It has to be water. I was just wondering if this happens more often to people or less and how long it lasts. For me it has been weeks of exercise and I stall for a week at a time then drop a couple pounds.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    double post
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I have totally seen this! It frustrates me but I keep thinking that part of the reason is because I'm not (hopefully) losing muscle weight as fast since I'm lifting and doing some cardio. When I don't exercise, I drop really fast. It can be totally depressing at times but I keep telling myself that if I keep lifting and eating less then I will eventually lose all that I need to. It's just going to be slower then I want it to be.

See thats how I feel too. Its like sometimes I just want to go back to only dieting. Same amount of food or very little difference and yet I lose quicker or at all? I stall for so long when I exercise.

There are many things that are more important than just the scale...
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I have totally seen this! It frustrates me but I keep thinking that part of the reason is because I'm not (hopefully) losing muscle weight as fast since I'm lifting and doing some cardio. When I don't exercise, I drop really fast. It can be totally depressing at times but I keep telling myself that if I keep lifting and eating less then I will eventually lose all that I need to. It's just going to be slower then I want it to be.

See thats how I feel too. Its like sometimes I just want to go back to only dieting. Same amount of food or very little difference and yet I lose quicker or at all? I stall for so long when I exercise.

Not right now Im in a weight loss contest lol afterward yes I care more about measurements than weight
  • Verity1111
    Options

You should not care about just the scale.

You are still quite overweight. There is a lot about this process you have to learn and one of those things you could wrap your head around is the idea that you're trying to form healthy habits for life.

Do you realize that there's a National Weight Control Registry of successful maintainers? They all have some things in common, and one of the things they have in common is exercise. They all found exercise to be very important when it came to the maintenance phase of weight loss.

Furthermore, the closer you get to goal, the harder it is to form a deficit, and exercise can eliminate some of the problems that might arise from logging errors.

Not only that, exercise is a healthy habit that does your joints, bones, heart, and lungs a world of good.

And you're willing to put aside all of these benefits for a number on the scale.

Relax. It's not a race.

Again I care more about measurements but Im a contest right now so its irritating. That said I also just wanted to know if other people get as affected by it as I do. I feel so bloated too. A mix of sodium intake and the exercise regimen I think. Wish I could figure out what foods or drink might help. Trying higher fiber and stuff but idk what else. Its hard to keep sodium low too because I need to go shopping. Canned vegetables are not as good as fresh. Anyway my joints are in bad pain. I probably need a day off anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Not right now Im in a weight loss contest lol afterward yes I care more about measurements than weight

That's not what I was talking about....

Regular exercise is essential to overall wellness and good health...weight is only one tiny aspect of health...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options

You are still quite overweight. There is a lot about this process you have to learn and one of those things you could wrap your head around is the idea that you're trying to form healthy habits for life.

Do you realize that there's a National Weight Control Registry of successful maintainers? They all have some things in common, and one of the things they have in common is exercise. They all found exercise to be very important when it came to the maintenance phase of weight loss.

Furthermore, the closer you get to goal, the harder it is to form a deficit, and exercise can eliminate some of the problems that might arise from logging errors.

Not only that, exercise is a healthy habit that does your joints, bones, heart, and lungs a world of good.

And you're willing to put aside all of these benefits for a number on the scale.

Relax. It's not a race.

Again I care more about measurements but Im a contest right now so its irritating. That said I also just wanted to know if other people get as affected by it as I do. I feel so bloated too. A mix of sodium intake and the exercise regimen I think. Wish I could figure out what foods or drink might help. Trying higher fiber and stuff but idk what else. Its hard to keep sodium low too because I need to go shopping. Canned vegetables are not as good as fresh. Anyway my joints are in bad pain. I probably need a day off anyway.

Are you drinking 8 cups or so of water daily, spread through the day? There are lots of opinions about how much water (or equivalent liquid) is necessary, but certainly if your sodium consumption is higher, drinking enough water (don't need to go crazy with it) is one thing that helps some flush out the water weight (I know that sounds odd - drink water to reduce water weight, but it's true. You maybe can kind of think of it as diluting the effect of the sodium).

Also, with the understanding that you are trying hard temporarily to lose the maximum in order to win a contest that will help you give your kids a better Christmas - you might not want to greatly increase your fiber intake right before a weigh-in, since the weight of food in your system and water in your system is a contributor to scale weight. Do get enough fiber to keep things moving, though!

But I'd feel like I was being irresponsible if I didn't say this, too: I think it is risky behavior to do less healthful things in order to win a contest, and it's not something I'd encourage or recommend. I understand that you are doing it for selfless reasons, but it might also be good to consider the effect of your health (good or bad) on your family via mood, susceptibility to illness, fatigue, etc., and the effect on your children of seeing you model less-than-ideally-healthful things.

Best wishes to you, and your family!
  • Verity1111
    Options

Regular exercise is essential to overall wellness and good health...weight is only one tiny aspect of health...

Im shallow. Im here for health but Im also here for how I look. I have no shame in that. Also I read something about dieter's edema that seems pretty legitimate...going to read more about that.
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2016
    Options

Im shallow. Im here for health but Im also here for how I look. I have no shame in that. Also I read something about dieter's edema that seems pretty legitimate...going to read more about that.

Exercise will also have a significant impact on how you look in the end...there's an element of vanity for myself as well...exercise definitely results in me having a better body than no exercise.

If you're shallow and vain I'm actually shocked that you're not working out...
  • Verity1111
    Options

After this contest is over and your short term "lose as much as I can as quickly as I can" mind set has passed, if you're shallow? You should be all about exercising, especially strength training (this can be body weight exercises).

People who exercise and get adequate protein while losing weight end up with better body composition than those who don't.

Yep. I am. Usually I try to hit a specific protein goal, I use leg presses, weights, switch my exercise up and eat higher.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Exercise will also have a significant impact on how you look in the end...there's an element of vanity for myself as well...exercise definitely results in me having a better body than no exercise.

If you're shallow and vain I'm actually shocked that you're not working out...

I will be after the contest. Working out strength training makes me gain temporarily so not the best for a biggest loser contest (only lasts a few weeks) plus I have a long long way to go for my goal weight of 127 so I might stick to cardio and then add in strength training later. I usually go to the gym a few times a week but right now Im just doing Zumba. Easier with kids since I dont need a sitter.
  • Verity1111
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Relax. It's not a race.

Are you drinking 8 cups or so of water daily, spread through the day? There are lots of opinions about how much water (or equivalent liquid) is necessary, but certainly if your sodium consumption is higher, drinking enough water (don't need to go crazy with it) is one thing that helps some flush out the water weight (I know that sounds odd - drink water to reduce water weight, but it's true. You maybe can kind of think of it as diluting the effect of the sodium).

Also, with the understanding that you are trying hard temporarily to lose the maximum in order to win a contest that will help you give your kids a better Christmas - you might not want to greatly increase your fiber intake right before a weigh-in, since the weight of food in your system and water in your system is a contributor to scale weight. Do get enough fiber to keep things moving, though!

But I'd feel like I was being irresponsible if I didn't say this, too: I think it is risky behavior to do less healthful things in order to win a contest, and it's not something I'd encourage or recommend. I understand that you are doing it for selfless reasons, but it might also be good to consider the effect of your health (good or bad) on your family via mood, susceptibility to illness, fatigue, etc., and the effect on your children of seeing you model less-than-ideally-healthful things.

Best wishes to you, and your family!

Thank you! & I drink lots and lots of water! I love water. I drank about 3 cases in the last 2 weeks but I would drink more if it wasnt expensive. Our tap water is kind of gross lol Maybe I have been restricting my water the last week since Im low and should pick up another case. Drinking extra for a couple days might help. Ill try to add more fiber too. Thank you. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    Health absolutely contributes big time to how one looks.

Want a glowing complexion? A sparkle in your eyes? Lovely hair and nails? A spring in your step and the appearance of vitality and vivacity?

These are very attractive, and they're all about health. Exercise and nutritious eating, both. Focus on health, and looking your best will take care of itself.

I won't repeat other's excellent and accurate comments about how much better fit people look as compared with un-fit people. Just go over to the Success Stories forum and look at before & after photos in some of the women's weightlifting threads - it's just obvious. And I'm not saying weightlifting is the only way to look great, either - but it's one good one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I noticed my weight loss slowed right down right around the time i got my Fitbit and I started doing purposeful exercise for the first time in years (Walking).

It could have been because I'd already lost the bulk of my weight around that time, so it would have slowed down anyway, or my appetite increased along with the exercise. Probably a bit of both I'd say.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I noticed my weight loss slowed right down right around the time i got my Fitbit and I started doing purposeful exercise for the first time in years (Walking).

It could have been because I'd already lost the bulk of my weight around that time, so it would have slowed down anyway, or my appetite increased along with the exercise. Probably a bit of both I'd say.

Also could have been from water/glycogen retention, which is very common when starting an exercise program that your body isn't accustomed to. And sometimes takes several weeks to go away.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Also could have been from water/glycogen retention, which is very common when starting an exercise program that your body isn't accustomed to. And sometimes takes several weeks to go away.

Mine is obviously doing that. Keeps stalling then I drop like 3 lbs