Fat Shamed By Santa Claus

dbanks80
dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
I don't agree with fat shaming anyone but Santa Claus???? That is sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/07/health/santa-fat-shames-child-nc-trnd/index.html

Replies

• KourageousKarina
    KourageousKarina Posts: 979 Member
    Poor child.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Does Santa have a mirror?

Exactly!

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Santa is a prick.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Not cool Santa
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Bad Santa
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I wonder if it motivated the kid to eat a salad?

Not really the shopping mall Santa's place to comment but it might be what the kid needs to hear.

Sad, but true. Mom needs to help her son rather than be hell bent on getting some guy fired from a job he might really need. Didn't hear Santa's side of this...was the kid sitting on his lap? It could've been an internal thought that actually slipped out.

In a way I agree. We don't know the whole story. That was my whole thought as I read the story. Maybe the kid said something that prompted it. We don't know. If Santa maliciously said it, then that is a different story.... If it was said totally randomly then mom has a reason to be upset. If something prompted it then the truth hurts sometimes.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member

Not really the shopping mall Santa's place to comment but it might be what the kid needs to hear.

Not around Christmas time
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Obviously NOT the real Santa Claus...

RIGHT???

:'(

Maybe Krampus in disguise?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    "Fat" is part of the job description for a Santa.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    I want to see Judge Judy rule on this.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

No. no one needs to hear that. There are ways to help a child if you're concerned with their health and weight but shouting that at the mall only serves to humiliate them.

I can't imagine shouting at a nine year old because of his or her weight; that's simply cruel and it's especially cruel in public.

That being said, the kid needs to hear it (from a parent) and more importantly needs to be coached and encouraged.

Nobody has mentioned how heavy the mom was from this story. The kid is only nine; she also bears much of the responsibility in this.

It's important to be cognizant of the kid's age. He's 9, not 29.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Karb_Kween wrote: »

Not around Christmas time

Imho - the message, how it's delivered and from whom are more important than when.

But yeah, the kid should be having fun at Christmas instead of becoming a soft news story.

• Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    I don't believe in "shaming", but suggesting a kid should drop a few pounds isn't shaming, that's just good advice. that kid is like 11, and weighs as much as some full grown men. He was probably just looking out for the kid.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Santa doesn't really have room to talk about someone else's eating habits or weight does he?
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Santa should have kept his mouth shut. He is not there to give advice. Sit smile tell the kids "sure be good and will see what we can do to get you....." - having said that - Shouldn't the mother put a bit more effort into making sure her son can grow up and not have to deal with all the negative effects of being obese??? For god's sakes what type of experience is going to have in school???? Its very sad - most everyone no here can guess what his life will be like. Sadly - a lot of damage has been done to him. Santa should have shut his mouth - but maybe in the end it might be a positive somehow. But my guess is that the mother would rather fight the dept store.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Fat shaming leads to disordered eating in most (note I did not say all) cases. Of all the times someone called me fat it never drove me to get healthy, just to get skinny and accomplish that any unhealthy way I could find. When I was young I didn't know what was healthy and I'm sure that kid doesn't either. This kid is 9!!!!!! I doubt calling him out for his weight is going to do much. He doesn't control what his parents give to him at that age and to be 9 and stressing over weight already is extremely sad. It's 100% the parent's job to see that he eats better, not him. Not until he's a little bit grown up. Santa had no place saying anything to that kid but "Merry Christmas and be good this year!" It wasn't his place, nor his business.