Eating for blood type

Options

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There is no human group that is 100% all the same blood type, and yet for much of history most members of a community ate pretty much the same thing most of the time. Blood type can't be the factor that controls what diet a cultural group is adapted to eat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Eating for blood type is just as effective as eating for eye color, horoscope or shoe size.

I have blue eyes. What should I eat to lose weight? I like this idea. Please say it's ice cream, beer, and chocolate!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My blood type is AB also and when this first came out a couple of family members were pushing the diet not to lose weight but because according to the book I'm a fragile snowflake. I think there was something about the older blood types being more stable and AB being newer and less robust. From what I remember there were all kinds of restrictions on what I should eat because I'm prone to cancer and other fatal diseases, and since this was pre-internet times I didn't really have any resources to check it out. I was actually scared silly for about a week (young and dumb).

Then I started thinking about genetics. A from my mother, B from my father, random chance. Why on earth would my genetic dispositions be the same as any of the other millions of people who were AB by random chance? And is there any evidence of higher rates of mortality in populations that are primarily AB? I assumed if so it would show up in Scientific American eventually (it didn't).

It's interesting that my daughters re-discovered this one not too long ago - probably on social media. I guess it's popular because it divides people into easily visible groups, no "you may be half this and half that" like body-type diets, and we all like tidy categories. And for some reason, restrictive diets always seem to catch people's attention, as if finding just the right combination of food for our physical type is the magic bullet for weight loss and health.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Eating for blood type is just as effective as eating for eye color, horoscope or shoe size.

I have blue eyes. What should I eat to lose weight? I like this idea. Please say it's ice cream, beer, and chocolate!

Nope, it's liver, spinach, and brussell sprouts.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »

:sick:

Aquarius: ice cream, beer, and chocolate?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    According to the website I'm descended from Middle Eastern farmers (but my siblings with different blood types are descended from different people, I guess?). I'm supposed to eat lots of fish (which I haven't had for ten years) and avoid garbanzo beans and potatoes, which I eat all the time. I'm also supposed to avoid "negative emotions" and "smoking." I guess those are okay for people of other blood types, but they're not good for me.

This looks . . . ridiculous.
  • mph323
    Options
    According to the website I'm descended from Middle Eastern farmers (but my siblings with different blood types are descended from different people, I guess?). I'm supposed to eat lots of fish (which I haven't had for ten years) and avoid garbanzo beans and potatoes, which I eat all the time. I'm also supposed to avoid "negative emotions" and "smoking." I guess those are okay for people of other blood types, but they're not good for me.

This looks . . . ridiculous.

No pot for you :-( /jk

I hadn't considered that. I have 4 siblings and not one is AB. Hmmm, wondering about all the mailman jokes now...
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

It's just not your day is it? Sadly Aquarius is tapioca, cabbage, and snails.

I'm pretty certain Aries is ice-cream, beer, and chocolate.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

You guize are so mean!

Shoe size 7.5: ice cream, chocolate, and beer?
  • zorander6
    edited December 2016
    Options

You guize are so mean!

Combined with being Aquarius that means you get Haggus and Broccoli

Edit: Forgot the drink, you have to drink only Diet Pepsi
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

You guize are so mean!

I guess all these diets really are hokum.

<ragequit>
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23697707

"No evidence currently exists to validate the purported health benefits of blood type diets."

There ya go. Scientific evidence.
  • zorander6
    Options

You guize are so mean!

<ragequit>

As long as you are rage-quitting the diets made to sell you something that's fine.
  • mph323
    Options

You guize are so mean!

<ragequit>

Oh no, I think you just have to keep trying them until you find the one that works for you! There's a new one every week, so as long as you can afford it you can keep rolling through them doing the yo-yo weight thing until you're broke. Then you'll plateau forever. :-(
  • zorander6
    edited December 2016
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23697707

"No evidence currently exists to validate the purported health benefits of blood type diets."

There ya go. Scientific evidence.

PSHAW I say!!!!! Science is all made up mumbo jumbo!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Well, I know if you have brown eyes you need to go raw vegan to have your eyes turn blue. If your eyes are already blue, then I'm sorry.. not much can be done for you :(
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

You guize are so mean!

<ragequit>

As long as you are rage-quitting the diets made to sell you something that's fine.
    mph323 wrote: »

You guize are so mean!

<ragequit>

Oh no, I think you just have to keep trying them until you find the one that works for you! There's a new one every week, so as long as you can afford it you can keep rolling through them doing the yo-yo weight thing until you're broke. Then you'll plateau forever. :-(

I'm going to go back to my "ichiban-and-carrot-because-I-can't-afford-food-diet" from my early 20s. It worked well, and still allowed me to drink all the alcohol I could get my friends to buy for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well, I know if you have brown eyes you need to go raw vegan to have your eyes turn blue. If your eyes are already blue, then I'm sorry.. not much can be done for you :(

Oh man, I totally forgot that kooky theory.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to do slimming world when it was red and green days and I only did the green days which if non of you know is mainly for vegetarians or you had to weigh ya meat if you had any and could eat unlimited potatoes pasta rice veg fruit and some vegetarian foods
    And I lost est 48lbs in 4 months
    And my blood group suggests I should be a vegetarian
    When the slimming world plan changed and they made the meat unlimited I gained all my weight back so maybe there's some truth in it for me??
  • mph323
    Options

I just spit my tea - thanks a bunch!