Winter/holiday Foods

Options
Just wanting to create a little support thread I suppose for others to also share something that's probably irritating most of us.

The holidays/winter time.

Specifically, the foods.

Especially the ones that are a seasonal favorite and you just can't get enough of it. My point in case: hot chocolate. It's 28F here where I live so I've taken to making a nice cup of it to help warm up, only to go over a bit on my calorie limit which is irritating me. I'm going to replace it with nice hot tea, no sugar or anything in it, instead.

Anyone else has a winter treat that they just can't seem to put down?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    Try a cinnamon orange rooibos tea for a bit of "holiday flavour" ... I drink it year round, I like it that much. And there are quite a few other tea flavours out there. Used to be it was black or green or jasmine ... now everything is infused with different flavours.

Another one I picked up which is kind of growing on me is orange choc Ceylon tea. I will probably limit it to this one box, but it is kind of nice for a change.

As for Christmas treats, we get a tray of 6 mince tarts when we go shopping on Sunday and have one each evening for the next 3 nights ... and then back to our usual evening snacks. It is a moderate approach so we aren't missing out on a favourite treat.
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Try a cinnamon orange rooibos tea for a bit of "holiday flavour" ... I drink it year round, I like it that much. And there are quite a few other tea flavours out there. Used to be it was black or green or jasmine ... now everything is infused with different flavours.

Another one I picked up which is kind of growing on me is orange choc Ceylon tea. I will probably limit it to this one box, but it is kind of nice for a change.

As for Christmas treats, we get a tray of 6 mince tarts when we go shopping on Sunday and have one each evening for the next 3 nights ... and then back to our usual evening snacks. It is a moderate approach so we aren't missing out on a favourite treat.

I actually didn't know there were some holiday teas kind of. I normally drink strawberry or green tea, so I'll have to do some more out of the box flavors.

I try hard not to eat too many sweets though, I have a problem in moderation with that sadly. I'm still trying to learn it's okay to have 1 and yes that 1 is delicious but no, we don't need another 5.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    ArcticSero wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I actually didn't know there were some holiday teas kind of. I normally drink strawberry or green tea, so I'll have to do some more out of the box flavors.

I try hard not to eat too many sweets though, I have a problem in moderation with that sadly. I'm still trying to learn it's okay to have 1 and yes that 1 is delicious but no, we don't need another 5.

Go to your grocery stores and markets and things and have a look ... there are all sorts of teas available now. :)

Rooibos teas are slightly sweet naturally, so you don't need to add anything (sugar, milk, etc.) to them. Personally, I'm not that keen on plain rooibos but I like it infused with different flavourings. Cinnamon-orange is my favourite, vanilla is OK, and last weekend I picked up a peppermint choc rooibos tea which I didn't like at first, but it is growing on me.

Lemon-ginger teas aren't sweet, but they aren't bitter like black or green so I don't need anything (sugar, milk, etc.) in them either. I find they seem to settle my stomach a bit when it's growling for more food.

Just recently I've started drinking chamomile tea late in the evening. I don't like plain chamomile but I've got a spiced apple one which is wonderful!

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin spice Baileys.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ArcticSero wrote: »
    Just wanting to create a little support thread I suppose for others to also share something that's probably irritating most of us.

The holidays/winter time.

Specifically, the foods.

Especially the ones that are a seasonal favorite and you just can't get enough of it. My point in case: hot chocolate. It's 28F here where I live so I've taken to making a nice cup of it to help warm up, only to go over a bit on my calorie limit which is irritating me. I'm going to replace it with nice hot tea, no sugar or anything in it, instead.

Anyone else has a winter treat that they just can't seem to put down?

Hot chocolate made wit cocoa, sweetener and skim milk would work well.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    There is a holiday tea thread over on Food and Nutrition, and it was an inspirational eye opener for me, too. Alas, my grocery does not carry any of those awesome sounding teas like Sleigh Ride and candy cane land. Darn, I really want a Sleigh Ride! Anyhow, settled for a vanilla chai that has lots o cinnamon & clove. Enough different from my norm that I can convince myself it's special. There was also an eggnog thread over there, and I cannot wait to try almond milk nog.

OP, you have my sympathies on the temperature, but other than beverages, holiday foods aren't a recurring problem for me. I will say, though, it's appreciably more parties and hence appreciably more wine that I normally have in the budget. Takes a little planning, but all in good fun. Cheers to you!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My homemade chocolate peanut clusters that most people refer to as "crack" because they're so addicting.

Yes, I'm still making them this year, and yes, I'm still enjoying them this year as well.

Edited because I can't form complete sentences.