What is the REAL truth about carbs?

Options

Replies

• saFit247
    saFit247 Posts: 117 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When trying to lose weight, are they ok to eat in moderation as long as they fit into your calorie goals? Is "wheat" really healthier if you have to choose? Is there a better or worse time during the day to eat them? My stats: I'm 5'11 female. Weight 287. Need to lose 140. Do 30 minutes of aerobics each morning and walk 2 miles each evening 5 days a week and eat under 160@ calories.

@jomariewill
    Excellent Question !
    Most of your energy is derieved out of FAT & CARBS.
    Yes Carbs are important & the selection of the same makes a big change whether you are going to gain or loose weight "efficiently"

The Idea is to select complex carbs that digest slowly and keep supplying you with sufficient energy throughout the day. You dont want the Carbs to get digested instantly and then convert into Fat when not utilized. A smart selection of Carb source can give you sufficient energy to do more work and burn calorie.

But remember the calorie intake is the main guide , carb selction can improve the efficiency of your weight loss.

Here are few of my picks of good Carb :

1. BARLEY : 1/2 cup cooked pearl barley: 97 calories, 22g carbs, 3g fiber
    2. Green Peas : 1/2 cup cooked: 67 calories, 12.5g carbs, 4.5g fiber
    3. Whole Wheat Pasta : 2 ounces dry: 198 calories, 43g carbs, 5g fiber
    4. Acorn Squash : 1 cup cubed and baked: 115 calories, 30g carbs, 9g fiber
    5. Whole Wheat Bread : 2 slices Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread: 160 calories, 30g carbs, 8g fibe
    6. BEANS : 1/2 cup canned low-sodium black beans: 109 calories, 20g carbs, 8g fiber
    7. OAT MEAL : 1/2 cup dry: 153 calories, 27g carbs, 4g fiber
    8. QUINOA : 1/2 cup cooked: 111 calories, 20g carbs, 2.5g fiber

Cheers !
    Saji
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When trying to lose weight, are they ok to eat in moderation as long as they fit into your calorie goals?

As others have said, carbs include vegetables, fruits, legumes, as well as grains and tubers (potatoes, sweet potatoes) and are also found in a ton of other foods (carbs and fats together make up most so called junk foods, dairy tends to be a balance of protein, fat, and carbs). Using "carbs" to mean only some carbs (or some things that are as much fat as carbs) is confusing and part of why carbs unfairly have a bad rap.

Thus, definitely you can and IMO should eat carbs when trying to lose weight (vegetables are very important, IMO). As for higher calorie carbs, yeah, how many carbs you eat doesn't really matter for weight loss and is personal. Some are more satisfied and do well eating lots of carbs, some are less hungry and more satisfied eating low carb, many of us like a middle position (I ate around 40% carbs losing weight).

As for grains, which is what you seem to be asking about:
    Is "wheat" really healthier if you have to choose?

To be pedantic again, most white bread IS wheat (wheat flour is made of wheat whether it's whole grain or refined). What you are asking about is really whole grain vs. refined (helpful hint: a bread or pasta label that lists wheat is likely refined, even with many breads that are brown in color -- you need "whole wheat" or "whole grain" to mean, well, whole wheat or whole grain).

Anyway, whole grain is marginally healthier or more helpful to some due to more fiber and sometimes more protein, but if you prefer white the difference isn't that huge and you can get fiber elsewhere. What you eat with it is more important -- whole wheat pasta with just cheese is going to give you fewer nutrients and fiber than white pasta with lean meat and lots of vegetables.

Brown rice vs. white rice is debatable -- it's not really clear that we can get the added nutrients out of brown rice so you might actually get more out of white. I'd just go with whatever you prefer.
    Is there a better or worse time during the day to eat them?

If you are trying to maximize training or athletic performance, maybe (probably). Otherwise, and for weight loss? No, it doesn't matter.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    There are a significant amount of 'carbs' in dairy products too!

and in nuts and nut butters. Just can't really get away from them carbs. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    More fiber = better carbs IMO. I love my carbs and eat a lot of them because I eat a high fiber diet. Good for my energy levels, good for my gut, good for my soul.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having 20-30% of your calories come from nutrient dense carbs. I'm sorry, but I have never seen someone get fat because they had a baked potato with dinner.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    More fiber = better carbs IMO. I love my carbs and eat a lot of them because I eat a high fiber diet. Good for my energy levels, good for my gut, good for my soul.

Now fibre is absolutly necessary imo. 5 swervings of veg and fruit is supposed to do it if I remember?
    Of course that will include 'carbs'.

• Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

Now fibre is absolutly necessary imo. 5 swervings of veg and fruit is supposed to do it if I remember?

I agree. And most (if not all) of your nutrient-dense carb sources are going to contain good amounts of fiber.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having 20-30% of your calories come from nutrient dense carbs. I'm sorry, but I have never seen someone get fat because they had a baked potato with dinner.

Potatoes and whole grains were a huge part of my weight gain. Not because there is anything wrong with those foods, but because I find them delicious and didn't exercise portion control. Having a baked potato with dinner can absolutely make you fat (over time) if it leads to you consuming more calories than you burn.

Right. But what you are talking about is a personal problem. Not a problem with the potato itself. Of course, if a food triggers you to eat more of that food, then you can't handle it, and you should eliminate it. But generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with a baked potato.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options

Potatoes and whole grains were a huge part of my weight gain. Not because there is anything wrong with those foods, but because I find them delicious and didn't exercise portion control. Having a baked potato with dinner can absolutely make you fat (over time) if it leads to you consuming more calories than you burn.

Right. But what you are talking about is a personal problem. Not a problem with the potato itself. Of course, if a food triggers you to eat more of that food, then you can't handle it, and you should eliminate it. But generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with a baked potato.

There is absolutely no problem with the potato, I still eat them all the time -- I just measure my portions and log accurately. I'm saying that people can and will get fat by having a potato with their dinner if it causes them to consume excess energy (and not just a potato -- this will happen with any food). You can see people get fat on just about any food even nutrient-dense ones.

Yep. I agree with you totally. I'm just not a fan of someone screaming CARBS ARE BAD..DON'T EAT CARBS (not that I'm saying you did this, I'm talking about the diet industry as a whole) when the truth is much more complicated than that.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Carbs are one of the 3 macronutrients that make up food. Carbs give you energy, taste good, and keep your metabolism & weight loss hormones going. Consuming too many carbs can increase appetite and cause excess weight gain due to being in a caloric surplus. Consuming too few carbs will make you lethargic, moody, and slow your metabolism.

Quality of carbs is important- you'll want to aim for more complex carbs with more vitamins over simple carbs & sugar with little nutrition- at least for health and satiety. It doesn't actually make that much difference for weight loss, only calories matter for that, but it will make a difference in how you look and feel and I assume you care about that too and not only the number on the scale.

Wheat bread or pasta vs white has more fiber and vitamins. I prefer to avoid gluten altogether because I don't digest it well so my carbs tend to come from potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, fruits, and vegetables. I do consume some treats and sweets as well which are also carbs, though less healthy.

The more important macronutrient when it comes to weight loss is actually protein. You'll want to focus on getting adequate protein. Or just try to eat within your macronutrient goals each day- these can be found in your diary or main menu in "nutrition".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

There is absolutely no problem with the potato, I still eat them all the time -- I just measure my portions and log accurately. I'm saying that people can and will get fat by having a potato with their dinner if it causes them to consume excess energy (and not just a potato -- this will happen with any food). You can see people get fat on just about any food even nutrient-dense ones.

Yep. I agree with you totally. I'm just not a fan of someone screaming CARBS ARE BAD..DON'T EAT CARBS (not that I'm saying you did this, I'm talking about the diet industry as a whole) when the truth is much more complicated than that.

Oh, I absolutely agree. About 50-60% of my calories come from carbohydrates, including refined ones, and I have no problem maintaining my weight.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options

And I think this is why there is so much convoluted information out there, because fitness/nutrition is very personal. What works for you or me, may or may not work for the next 100 people that come along. And the water can get muddy really quickly.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Watch this video for a better explanation:
    https://youtu.be/rDPGQnP83_M
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

I aim for higher than the recommended minimum. When my doctor noticed I'd lost some weight we discussed dieting and she suggested I aim for 45g of fiber per day. I don't always hit that but it was probably the best diet advice I've ever been given. Fiber really keeps me feeling full.