Are you a cheater? I am.

Options
I'm not talking about occasionally busting my numbers, whether by forgetfulness or the one off planning.

I'm talking about the chronic tendency to pad my numbers. This extends from honestly logging my food each day to the urge to give in to bad form during exercises just to crank out a couple of more reps, so I can say I did it.

90-95% of the time I don't give in. I really do believe that diligent honesty with myself will yield the best long term gains for me, both physically and mentally - but that craving for the instant gratification is relentless. And tiring, and I occasionally give in.

Cheating on my food could reverse the weight loss gains I've been working for, and cheating on form while lifting could actually injure me, potentially putting me in a position where I can't exercise at all.

So why even think about it, much less give in to the temptations? Old dummy. LoL.

I'd like to hear others input. Because misery loves company, and who knows...if a discussion breaks out I might learn something that can help me change.

Cheers :)

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I play it straight when it comes to logging food and counting calories. Sorry I can't join your naughty club.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You seem rather cavalier about "cheating."

In fact, you seem almost proud of using improper form when you exercise, even while acknowledging the potential for injury.

Misery may love company, but I'll invite the company, not the misery.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I play it straight when it comes to logging food and counting calories. Sorry I can't join your naughty club.
    "Naughty club"?

Ok, uh...thanks?
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Not intentionally. If I don't log it directly before or after I eat it I will forget, then remember at some inconvenient time and then forget again if I don't log it right then. If I have already posted my diary for the day and I eat something after I try to go in right away to log it, but again, sometimes I forget at that time of night.

I seem to do fine if I plan for the treat, it's those times when the urge hits after I've completed my log for the day, or when something catches my eye that's a calorie bomb during the day. It's almost as bad as my old cigarette cravings.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    My thing is that if I do eat over my calories then I won't end the day because I don't want to see those red numbers.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    so I can say I did it.

My suggestion is that you don't worry about what other people think. This isn't about them, it's about you.

I'm not doing this for anyone but myself. There's no point in lying to myself. I use my data to make adjustments so it needs to be accurate. I log everything immediately before I eat it so that I don't have the opportunity to forget. If I choose to eat extra, I own that choice.
  • jesse1952
    jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Only you know when your cheating but it must bother you and you know it does not do you any good. Maybe commit to keep it honest for just one week to start and go from there.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'm too lazy for all that. Too lazy to measure my food. Too lazy to log my food. Too lazy to push myself beyond my limits. Even when doing work around our farm when I'm done, I'm done, whether the job is done or not. Injuries make you lose a LOT more time than just waiting till your rested and getting back at it.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    jesse1952 wrote: »
    Only you know when your cheating but it must bother you and you know it does not do you any good. Maybe commit to keep it honest for just one week to start and go from there.
    It really does lol. Like I said in the OP, actual cheats are far and few between, it just eats at me when I do it. At heart I'm a pretty honest person, so I don't like seeing this come out anywhere.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Nah, I'm too lazy for all that. Too lazy to measure my food. Too lazy to log my food. Too lazy to push myself beyond my limits. Even when doing work around our farm when I'm done, I'm done, whether the job is done or not. Injuries make you lose a LOT more time than just waiting till your rested and getting back at it.

I can't tell where or if you're serious or not...
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about occasionally busting my numbers, whether by forgetfulness or the one off planning.

I'm talking about the chronic tendency to pad my numbers. This extends from honestly logging my food each day to the urge to give in to bad form during exercises just to crank out a couple of more reps, so I can say I did it.

90-95% of the time I don't give in. I really do believe that diligent honesty with myself will yield the best long term gains for me, both physically and mentally - but that craving for the instant gratification is relentless. And tiring, and I occasionally give in.

Cheating on my food could reverse the weight loss gains I've been working for, and cheating on form while lifting could actually injure me, potentially putting me in a position where I can't exercise at all.

So why even think about it, much less give in to the temptations? Old dummy. LoL.

I'd like to hear others input. Because misery loves company, and who knows...if a discussion breaks out I might learn something that can help me change.

Cheers :)

this is the issue. majority of people seek instant gratification not just when it comes to weight loss, but many other things in life, that are just not realistic expectations. weight loss is not going to be instant... you didn't gain the weight instantly so you shouldn't expect it to come off "instantly."
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    My thing is that if I do eat over my calories then I won't end the day because I don't want to see those red numbers.

I HATE the red numbers. They make me feel like I have done something terrible. I still log if it puts me over, but the red numbers man. I wish they wouldn't do that.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am. And my wife knows it. She knows what I'm trying to do weight wise, and every time I go in the kitchen late at night, I hear, "What are you doing in there?" and, I just look down and say, "NUTHIN..." That's usually when the guilt kicks in. It's amazing how, when someone questions you, you know IMMEDIATELY if you are doing something legitimate or if you are trying to be sneaky.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I can't tell where or if you're serious or not...

I am 100% serious.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Some great replies folks, thank you. I'll reply more once I'm off of this blasted mobile device LOL. :)