Any advice on reducing the side effects of Metformin/Glucafa

Options
This weekend, I am going to start taking Metformin for insulin resistance. The doctor said that almost everyone feels pretty bad the first week. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to eat to minimize the side effects? Or what to avoid?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Eat first. It made me really sick to my stomach and gives my diarrhea, which did not go away for a while (2-3 weeks).
  • 1luckygal
    1luckygal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This weekend, I am going to start taking Metformin for insulin resistance. The doctor said that almost everyone feels pretty bad the first week. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to eat to minimize the side effects? Or what to avoid?

I started it with another medicine 4 weeks ago today actually. Take it at night with food (dinner) - I was taking mine right before bed but then found I was eating late at night and that was NOT good. So I took it with dinner and before I went to bed drank a TON of water. It took me about a week to get it down to where I had the right routine to get the nausea and minor cramps down. Nights I didn't drink enough water I woke up feeling more dizzy/nauseous.

Also - LOW sugar intake as well as LOW carbs along with at least 30 minutes a day of good cardio will get you the best results! Some people drop weight really fast on this medicine. I have not so far but was not doing the right things right away either.

Best of luck!!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Eat first. It made me really sick to my stomach and gives my diarrhea, which did not go away for a while (2-3 weeks).

Sadly, my sister took metformin for almost 4 years, and the vicious diarrhea never did go away. She couldn't even make it across town without stopping at a grocery store or gas station to use their bathroom. When my doc suggested Metformin, I refused, went the diet and exercise route, which worked for me but may not work for everyone, depending upon their individual case.

On the bright side, many folks don't have bad digestive problems with Metformin. If you do, don't do like my sister did and just suffer with it for years. There are other prescription options out there if Metformin gives you grief.

Good luck!

Kris
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the time-release Metformin (called Glumetza)? You take your entire daily dose once in the morning, with your breakfast. It is slightly more expensive, but I've found that it really has minimal side effects because the dose is slowly released during the day.

I know everyone reacts differently to medication, but for me? Coupled with nutritional eating and regular daily exercise, it has been my wonder drug! Prior to taking it, I was not able to shed a pound, despite healthy eating and a rigorous work-out routine.
  • kariannk
    kariannk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ask your MD for the extended release metformin to reduce the diarrhea side effect.
  • bethy0316
    bethy0316 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have only experienced headaches, no nausea or diarrhea.

Good luck ... I think it's a great med.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Not really. You can stay away from things that usually make you gassy and don't eat heavily. But in reality until your body adjust to the meds you will have some diarrhea with it for several days. I have been on metformin for four years now and have adjusted really well but it was rough for a a couple weeks in the beginning.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water and STAY AWAY from CARBS! I found my stomach was more upset if I did the carb thing while on the meds. Keeping carbs to a min helped!
  • mamieblueeyes
    mamieblueeyes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey I have been on it for years!! After the first few weeks the side effects slow down and might even diminish. That is as long as you are eating right while on it. Still to this day if I eat something greasy or over eat the diarhea hits me within a couple hours after I eat. I love my metformin even though every once in a while I have to run to the bathroom. At least it does its job!! My doctor tried me on the glumetza (slow release metformin W/anti-diarhea). I didn't stay on it because when I would go number 2 I would notice the outside of the pill never completely dissolved which meant I didnt know If it was actually being released into my system. When I told my doctor about this he said he had been hearing about this happening and then put me back on metformin. Stick to it, eat as healthy as often as possible especially at first and hopefully you will like it too!!
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I've never not had the side effects from it... My body just wouldn't get used to it. :o(
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options

DON'T TAKE IT! That's the only way you are going to get rid of the side effects. Take 1g of cinnamon (w/ chromium) daily with breakfast and dinner and you will see a huge change. You can get it at WalMart cheaply (1,000mg per serving 2x a day). Maybe $10 for 2 bottles and each bottle lasts me a month and a half when I remember to take it. I was on metformin and was SO VERY SICK for months. My Dr. tried to tell me it was IBS but as soon as I went off of it, the symptoms stopped.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-cinnamon
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/77523-benefits-cinnamon-capsules-tablets/
    http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1002.html
  • lkwoodall
    Options
    I realize this thread is old but I found it so maybe this will help someone else. First, all the folks who say stay low carb are right. However, I was initially so nauseated I couldn't tolerate anything much but crackers or bread. Sad but true. Keep the fiber low initially. I had severe diarrhea for about 3 weeks, was dehydrated and electrolyte-depleted. I felt awful and was about to call my doctor and tell her I can't do it. But then I took a practical view. I am a pharmacist, after all, so I know what I need to do. Silly me.

1. Get hydrated! Water, of course. And Gatorade (low calorie, not the full sugar one) really helps.
    2. Replenish your electrolytes! Try orange juice and bananas. You are normalizing your sodium and potassium, and it will get your energy back quickly. I am not recommending a diet of OJ and bananas for a long period, just a bit for a few days if you are feeling really tired, like I was
    3. Replenish your intestinal flora! Eat yogurt (I like Fage Greek, but any yogurt with live cultures will work). You can also take a probiotic supplement as well as eating yogurt, or you can just take the supplement if you don't like yogurt. I did both.

One day after making these changes I woke up feeling wonderful. I'm going to keep these foods in my diet for occasional use in small amounts. The diarrhea has abated in large part, but is not completely gone. However, I have lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks so I am not complaining. It is inconvenient, but not debilitating. I'm sure it will normalize further over time. So don't give up until you try this plan. It really really helped me.
  • teetaylor89
    Options
    Thankyou to that last persons comment, I started metformin last week.. I used it for one day and then stopped because I suffered from symptoms of hypoglycemia from the medication I felt absolutely terrible and the fact I work night shift wasn't helping either.. I had a constant headache, nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia, cold sweats, diarrhea, no sense of taste and felt really weak.. I'm starting to think it is because I don't drink enough fluids ever, and I tend to only eat when I got the time to or when I do eat it's junk ..
    I'm going to try the metformin again but this time make sure I eat plenty of water and be well prepared with clean meals
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am going to start taking it tonight. I just had my fasted insulin measured and it was very high. My glucose was normal (as always). Go figure.

I hope it will help. I am taking it once a day at dinner. We are going to see where my insulin is around December. This is the first time I had my insulin measured. I'm surprised it is not tested more often.