Standing Desks

Options
Has anyone gotten a standing desk in order to be healthy but also lost weight from burning more calories while standing?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I'm sure the caloric expenditure is not enough to be noticeable. I just like not having to sit all day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Standing is a MET 2 exercise. It's not nothing. juststand.org

I'm standing about 4 hours a day now. Does standing make me lose weight faster? I can't detect that. Having lost a lot of weight this year, it physically hurts to sit too long.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I have one, but I'm sure the caloric expenditure is not enough to be noticeable. I just like not having to sit all day.

This. http://www.runnersworld.com/health/do-you-burn-more-calories-at-a-standing-desk

It's still nice to have the change of pace though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think a standing desk can have a lot of health benefits, but the energy expenditure vs sitting is negligible.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I use a standing desk. I have no idea how I would tell if I was losing weight from that -- I mean, I'm sure standing does take more calories than sitting, but there are so many variables I wouldn't know how to isolate it.

I have noticed that I feel more energetic at work and I never have lower back pain anymore. Those are the benefits for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Further to the original question: does anyone use a treadmill or recumbent bike desk?
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Further to the original question: does anyone use a treadmill or recumbent bike desk?

Our company just announced that we are getting them with our remodel! We will be able to schedule work time on the treadmill desks! I currently have a standing desk and love it, but was super excited for this announcement.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Our company just announced that we are getting them with our remodel! We will be able to schedule work time on the treadmill desks! I currently have a standing desk and love it, but was super excited for this announcement.

I really don't get how you can do any work on those damn things.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have a standing desk and a sitting desk in my office. I switch between the two throughout the day. I doubt standing in one spot for hours on end is much better than sitting. A nice mat underfoot helps me stand longer. I assume there isn't much of a benefit as far as calories..

At home I have a hospital bed rolling tray for my recumbent exercise bike and laptop. If I have some office work at home, or just want to edit family photos or videos, then at least I'm getting some activity.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have an adjustable desk that I can switch between sitting and standing, I doubt it contributes to weight loss. But I do step back and forth while working and it helps me feel better versus sitting all day.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Extremely jealous! Being active at work would increase ones TDEE massively I would imagine.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it for about 3 hours out of each day, I don't think it changes what I burn just from standing but I do like getting up and not sitting all day. I will stand and do mini leg exercises while standing though, I also sometimes march in place, or at least move around more.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I am really curious to hear what you think of it.

• smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have a standing desk at my work office, but also work from home 2-3 days a week at a sitting desk. The difference that I notice is more in my energy and productivity. I have way more energy and am far more productive at my standing desk. I definitely don't feel a caloric difference.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I would agree 100% with the person above me!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Extremely jealous! Being active at work would increase ones TDEE massively I would imagine.

There was one guy on Lyle's forums years ago who used a bike under his desk all day, every day, at a low intensity while working. From what I recall, the deficit created from that alone was insane.
  • trigden1991
    Options

There was one guy on Lyle's forums years ago who used a bike under his desk all day, every day, at a low intensity while working. From what I recall, the deficit created from that alone was insane.

That thread is what brought this concept to my attention. Off to buy a spin bike to use in the evenings whilst watching TV.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

That thread is what brought this concept to my attention. Off to buy a spin bike to use in the evenings whilst watching TV.

I've actually considered it as well. I don't watch TV, but I suppose I could certainly do the same while reading.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a riser for my monitors, Kangaroo is the brand. I use it during heavy workload times (60 hour weeks) during tax season. No noticeable calorie burn, but a complete cure for lower back spasms that plagued me annually. No more muscle relaxers, shots and pain meds to add to the stress of that time of year, highly recommend getting one if you can!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have two computers in my office, both of them are on adjustable standing desks. I never use that feature. Standing is uncomfortable and makes it harder for me to do the fine/detailed illustration work I do. Also, standing doesn't burn enough additional calories to make a different. And finally, I'd rather just get up and go for a walk a couple times a day.