Southerners Unite

Options
Cedura
Cedura Posts: 184 Member
Hey y'all!

I am looking for more Southern friends. As those of you who live in the south know, healthy eating can be hard down here, especially with the holidays right around the corner.
Just finding a produce section with more than Bananas and Apples in it is a struggle. The relatives cook EVERYTHING with butter, butter, and more butter. Low Fat is the same as "normal levels" in the rest of the world. And heaven forbid you tell Grandma you are passing up her mashed potatoes due to your diet plan, because she will ensure you get cardio running from her as she is about to hit you for insulting her cooking.

I am looking for friends who can log healthy, recipe share, and encourage other southerners to skip the gravy biscuits and butter everything for something more healthy!
The Struggle is REAL y'all.

Replies

• _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm Southern, but not sure I can be much inspo for ya. I eat the same boring stuff every day, just about.

And ain't nothing wrong with having a tiny scoop of butter laden homemade taters on special occasions. Enough to keep grandma off your back anyway. ;)
  • Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This past Christmas, my Gram took it one step further and deep fried the mashed potatoes into fried potato balls. I thought I would have a heart attack just looking at them hahahaha.
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nothing like deep fried turkey and spiral cut ham . Throw in some cornbread dressing and giblet gravy for a nice fatting meal ! Oh that's not encouragement sorry .
  • sarabarnett64
    sarabarnett64 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lol love it! I am a true Southerner! Born, raised and stuck! I also want to add the macaroni and cheese you left out! All these meat and three's! Green beans cooked in fat, everything cooked in fat! The struggle is real here! And heaven forbid you substitute light butter!
    But I eat healthy 6 days a week and the comments I get around here are insane! One day a week eating all this delicious southern food will not kill you!
  • larryc251
    larryc251 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm from south Alabama! I know how it is. Lol
    Have since lost 71 lbs though shooting for another 70. Feel free to add me
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am from New Orleans Louisiana where the food is awesome. It is all about moderation. I eat healthy 5-6 Days a week and if I choose to I will consume this great food of ours. I understand what all southerners go through with this great food if ours.
  • ddoud71
    ddoud71 Posts: 2,741 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a plain same eater here.

Chicken
    Fish
    Turkey
    Meat

That's it

I'm from Florida.

So not much help here.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Georgia girl here! Yes, it is difficult to break the habit of frying everything, but it can be done! I agree with @edup1975 -moderation. We are too good of cooks not to have our southern cooking :smile:
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I've been in GA for almost a year now. "The South will rise again!" jk. I'm still getting used to it down here. Feel free to add me for motivation, but I think I'm similar to everyone else above in that I eat pretty much the same thing all the time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask south of which country? :smiley:
  • tcthept1
    tcthept1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    do southerners in the uk count :smiley:
  • southerman46
    southerman46 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    From south Louisiana here and the food is always an issue for sure but we get to run and bike all winter that is one plus right :wink: .