Blood pressure up with weight lose.

Options
I have elevated blood pressure. I just lost 10.2 pounds over the last 3 weeks and my blood pressure is higher much higher. This happened to me before so i stopped eating good. Has this ever happened to anyone and if so did your bp level out after awhile. I do not want to quit this time.

Thanks

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    How often do you measure your blood pressure? How do you know that the second reading isn't "up" due to some other factor?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    No actually my BP dropped from dropping weight. I'd follow what was said above, how do you know?

Frequently test at the same time of day. Some people are sensitive to sodium, if I eat something full of it, my BP spikes.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I take my bp 3 times a day same time sitting, legs not too bent no tv or noises as thats how my dr told me to do it. Before i lost the 10 pounds it would average 135/90 now it averages 146/97.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I take my bp 3 times a day same time sitting, legs not too bent no tv or noises as thats how my dr told me to do it. Before i lost the 10 pounds it would average 135/90 now it averages 146/97.
    Could be other factors. Has your stress gone down or up? Sometimes people who try to lose weight stress out about it which can lead to higher blood pressure readings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It could be that the monitor is inaccurate. Compare it with the one in your doctor's office.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Definitely a discussion that you need to have with your doctor.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    All the things about was it just one reading.
    Blood pressure fluctuates from many factors, even over a day.

Are you using any workout supplements? Has your salt intake increased? (Things to ask yourself before you see your doctor).
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be checking it three times a day worrying about it makes it go up. Just once a day at most and don't stop eating healthy if it goes up, some days it's higher than others. You on meds?
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mine came down....for almost two years. Then it went back up. I have lost 104 pounds and my BP is back up. I am now on meds. :/

So, it does happen.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be checking it three times a day worrying about it makes it go up. Just once a day at most and don't stop eating healthy if it goes up, some days it's higher than others. You on meds?

The OP's *doctor* said to take his/her blood pressure three times a day. Unless you know you have more expertise than the OP's physician, don't second guess what he/her was advised to do.

OP -- see your doctor. I've been on multiple BP medications off and on since the mid 1980s, and my BP can vary by time of day as well as from day to day, depending on stress level, hydration, sodium, probably other factors. It can also vary depending on how you're putting on the cuff. A lot of home BP monitors aren't very accurate. This is something to discuss with your doctor rather than freaking out and looking for opinions from amateurs like myself in an internet forum.

You wrote:
    This happened to me before so i stopped eating good.

Did your doctor advise to eat junk if your blood pressure went up?

I didn't think so. :D
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Doctors don't always know what they're doing tbh....I have hbp and the more I check it the higher it gets.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    In general people who are very overweight often do find BP, if it was high, comes back to a more normal level if they lose weight.

I highly doubt losing 10lb caused OP's BP to go up - presumably BP was already an issue before 3 weeks ago if Dr is advising you to monitor it so closely..

I dont think I would be dismissing OP's BP as "Dr's dont always know what they are doing" :s

I would take it regularly at home, as requested. Maybe get your machine calibrated to check it is working properly.

Then see your Dr again after a week or so to see if medication needs adjusting or other factors need to be looked into (kidney function, for example)

I'm sure the answer to this is not eating a less healthy diet or quitting weight loss - presuming you need to lose weight in the first place.
    I dont know your stats but I hope you have set your weight loss goal properly - unless you are very overweight, 10lb in 3 weeks sounds a high rate of loss. Is this appropriate for you?
    Or have you been losing at a lower rate and this 3 weeks was just a 'whoosh' period?