Do you drink anything with your meals?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't drink while eating as recommended by my dietitian to help with my Crohn's.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I was taught to NOT drink anything with solid food, as it dilutes the digestive juices and so inhibits the digestion process, but whether there is any scientific basis for this or not, I don't know. It's just my habit no to...

I drink about 1.5 to 2 liters of water daily, plus morning coffee and some herbal tea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it would be odd not to have a beverage with a meal...I usually have a glass of water...sometimes wine with dinner...ice tea is pretty good too depending on what's on the menu.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water or unsweetened tea with my meals. Occasionally I will have an alcoholic beverage and I also drink coffee with sugar and half in half in the morning.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Glass of skim milk with oatmeal in the mornings.
    Black coffee in the morning (2-3 cups)
    Water at lunch
    water in the afternoon
    water or wine with dinner
    something in the evening depending on how I feel.

Weekend I might have a coffee with breakfast as that is bacon & potatoes. Often have Baileys in it but not since the summer.

Eating without a drink seems weird to me.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Coffee in the morning, water or seltzer with lunch and dinner, and water throughout the day. If it's a special occasion, I have wine with dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. Maybe a sip of water to get rid of the taste of something before I move on to dessert or whatnot, but usually I drink between meals instead.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I don't, but that's because of my post-bariatric surgery status. It's recommended that you wait 30-45 minutes after eating before drinking anything. BUT, up until the surgery I always had a drink with my meals. Usually milk or a diet soda. When I was growing up, my Dad never had a drink with dinner and I thought it was so weird. He would eat and then drink a huge glass of milk. I think that's just how he grew up, though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've always had something to drink with my meals ... always ... right from birth. I can't imagine not drinking something with my meals.

Same here. I don't like to eat without having a beverage. Usually isn't one with calories (except coffee) but I need a drink! My mom doesn't have anything to drink with her meals. I think its weird.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Water or unsweet tea.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tea, water, diet soda, or the very occasional alcoholic beverage.

So, yes.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually have either plain water or water with fresh squeezed lemon.
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't (personal preference)... but I like to drink after my meal. Usually water or alcoholic beverages.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I usually have a glass of water in front of me at dinner and 3/4 of the time, I don't drink it while eating. I drink afterward. I never realized before that I have never been much of a "drinker" at meal time. Before and after yes but not during ... just personal preference.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yes. I pick a drink based on what I'm eating. Some things go better with tea, some with something carbonated, some with water, etc. I choose all zero calorie options because I prefer eating my calories.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I don't regularly drink anything with my meals. Sometimes I will have something after I've finished eating, usually when I go out to eat because I don't like the weird looks I get from waitstaff when I don't order a beverage.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Coffee, tea, water, diet soda, or the very occasional alcoholic beverage.

So, yes.

Same. Always.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Some people say you should try drinking a glass of water before your meal to help fill out the space. I don't know if this really works as I've not tried it.

I've tried it and for me it does not really work. As for the OP I really don't drink anything with meals since as a kid I was always told to eat first then drink so I wouldn't get full off of liquids. This parenting method is now permanently branded in my head as an adult and I only sip my water at meals when needed :D but try weaning yourself off of copious amounts of drinks at meals and see if you notice a change in meal satiety!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I always have water. If foods are rich, sometimes a little palate cleanse is nice, or if they are dense it seems to smooth things out, but I always considered it just preference and "probably helpful" in a general, unscientific sort of way.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    H2O with lemon all day.