eating out...

Options
I go out to eat with my family at least once a week and have trouble finding new things. what are some of the best low calorie / healthy meals you've found and at what restaurant?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Grilled shrimp is a good go-to for me at Wood Ranch bbq which my husband loves. At the local thai place I get some kind of clear soup with a protein in it and fresh rolls.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I primarily go to local restaurants rather than chains so nutritional information isn't available. I usually order whatever I feel like having. Just use common sense...
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Tonight Italian---ordering what I want. I will eat half bring half home.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Tonight Italian---ordering what I want. I will eat half bring half home.

This. I always ask for a box as soon as they bring the food to the table. If I put half of it in the box immediately and can't see it, I won't overeat :)
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking for only healthy/low calories meals, I would like to offer a suggestion. What do you think about ordering whatever you want and only eating half of it and taking the other half home to eat for a later meal/another day? There is also the option of working out that day and/or eating fewer calories for your other meals in anticipation of going out to eat. Most of the major chain restaurants usually have a low-calorie section on their menus as well.

Personal favorites: There's a salmon dish at Applebee's that's around 600 calories. At IHOP, you can get an egg white omelette with spinach, turkey bacon and cheddar cheese with a fruit cup which should be under 500 calories. Chick-fil-A has a few grilled chicken options that are decent. Sushi rolls at Asian restaurants are also a decent choice (provided you eat them in moderation).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Pho.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be one of those "______ the person above you" threads. I couldn't not look.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Pho.

Sho...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Around here, once's you've found fajitas, you quit looking for new things.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be one of those "______ the person above you" threads. I couldn't not look.

>:)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Do you tend to go to chain restaurants or local restaurants? Many chains have the nutrition content on their websites so you can look before you go. I usually choose a meat, vegetable (or salad), and a starch, have water and skip the bread (I can eat bread at home). There are exceptions (chinese, pizza, mexican restaurants, indian cuisine), but I save my calories for those (very tasty) exceptions.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    and skip the bread (I can eat bread at home).

Going out tonight and will definatley eat the bread. I rarely have it at home any more and the Keg Sourdough bread is so good, I'll put up with the calories.
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband insists on eating out at least once a week. He won't go to any restaurant that plays music that he considers too loud, which leaves us one local Chinese place. Fortunately I found an acceptable meal - hot and soup soup, only a quite small amount of rice, and we share an order of moo goo gai pan. This works pretty well. Good luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Anything that is basically plain meat - steak, prime rib, fish, chicken, etc. with a vegetable is generally okay. Watch out for sauces though. Some places put a butter sauce or glaze on fish. Hamburgers are usually very high calorie between the size (8 oz.) the cheese/bacon/avocado etc. and the sauces. Any type of cream sauce (i.e. alfredo) will be very fattening, but pasta with marinara isn't as bad. Anything fried is likely to be higher calorie, especially if it has a breading (like chicken). A potato isn't necessarily bad unless you have it 'loaded' with butter, sour cream, bacon and cheese. or fries - the calories in fries are really high. Watch the alcohol. One glass of wine or beer, fine, but the calories add up.