Screw this!

Options
2»

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Please don't be defensive with Sue, she truly knows what she is talking about.
  • MarilynCurves
    MarilynCurves Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Your diary is open

Can't see you logging your exercise ...45 mins cardio should have earned you a decent 300 calories to eat

A couple of days either you didn't log or your calories were too low with 1100 logged

Your food choices, to me, seem poor ...where's all the bulking vegetables ...if you're a volume eater eat fewer calorie dense foods ...there's lots of grab and go foods in there

Try batch cooking at the weekend ...www.skinnytaste.com has some great recipes

I apologise if I misread you, and I appreciate your advice. I have been bulking my dinners with vegetables, but actually I'm eating what the dietician told me to. I guess I'm just a big eater. I haven't been eating my exercise calories because I don't trust the counts I'm given, and that would go against the dietician's advice. He also told me not to lift weights because that's a trick the trainers use to keep the scale from moving so you'll pay them more
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Some dieticians are great. Some are not.

I don't know whether the "eat under 1500" rather than "eat 1500" came from you or him, but I generally view BMR as good floor for calorie goal unless the person is really really sedentary. With your current stats, there's no reason you shouldn't lose on an accurately tracked 1600-1800 calories/day. They key phrase there is "accurately tracked".

Frankly, a dietician saying not to eat back any exercise calories and not to lift weights raises flags with me.
  • MarilynCurves
    Options
    The "eat under 1500" was him. I just feel so confused because all the calculations I made with the "In Place of a Roadmap" stickie gave me numbers around 1900 calories! I don't want to take it THAT high, but I'd rather eat more and see success than feel the lethargy I've been feeling.
  • MarilynCurves
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thank you so much, I love all of your advice, Sued0nim. I have been doing 4 cardio sessions, at 40-55 minutes per session, hard enough to really sweat. I'm a member at a gym so I use the machines there. My Apple Watch records my workouts, but doesn't sync them to MFP, so I haven't been adding them in because I didn't intend to eat any extra calories. Perhaps I should! I just never trust the calorie counts I'm given. You're so right, letting go of the scales is really difficult.

The dietician was doctor referred, but I just didn't like his entire demeanor. So much of what he said sounded a bit off. When he told me to stop the weights I was really surprised!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Forget what the dietitian told me. I saw one once too, and it totally messed up my view of 'dieting' for years!

Enter your stats on MFP and pick a 1 lb a week deficit. Trust me... you don't need to lose fast, and it will be MUCH easier to stick to.

Log your exercise and eat half the calories back.

Log everything (guessing you didn't only eat 700 calories yesterday).

Use accurate entries (your bread entry has no macros).

Make better choices if you're hungry - white bread is probably not going to fill you up for the calories. Buy low carb tortillas instead (less calories, more protein, tons of fiber). Eat more fruit and veggies. Just adding an apple at lunch can make a big difference.

Honestly I'd be starving with your diet too. Cereal and milk would fill me up maybe 1 hour in the morning, and just a sandwich with white bread for lunch... yikes.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling , I get frustrated at times my self . Seems like things move way to slow . The only thing I can hang on to is I know I'm doing the right thing ... Hang in there and good luck
  • MarilynCurves
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I haven't been eating my exercise calories because I don't trust the counts I'm given, and that would go against the dietician's advice. He also told me not to lift weights because that's a trick the trainers use to keep the scale from moving so you'll pay them more

I read the weight lifting part and my husband, sitting at his computer next to me, said "wow, that was the most interesting mix of expletives I've heard in a long time". I have no idea what was said.

The idea that a dietitian would advocate not doing one of the most effective groups of exercise that help improve over all health, body composition, and that are quite empowering mentally just because it may lead the scale to hold onto a couple pounds of water weight is one of the most asinine and astounding things I've read on this forum! And boy there have been some doozies! I would understand if he was concerned about a person backsliding because of an over-reliance on the scale itself but given he called it a trainers trick is just appalling. Muscle, definition, better bone density, increased strength and mental empowerment vs. being two pounds lower...no contest. Shame on him.

As far as eating back calories, if you're using the mfp numbers then you really should. As already stated, eat a portion back and adjust if you need to. It took me about 6 weeks to find my burns and I've been eating 100% back ever since with no issues. It really gave me the extra energy to improve my workouts.

I'm really glad you're here and trying to find something sustainable. I wish you all the best.

Thanks so much for your perspective! I actually cried when I left that appointment because he really threw me for a loop with what he said! The last thing I need is to be more confused about what is right for me.

Yes, I was feeling frustrated that the scale hadn't moved in a couple of months, but I was hoping for assurance that I was on the right track, not to be completely mixed up about the whole thing! Sheesh!
  • django_rheinhardt
    Options
    While there are good and bad nutritionists (doctors, personal trainers, you have it), yours sounds absolutely terrible. I wouldn’t go back to that one, seriously. I’ve actually had good experiences with the nutritionist I went to. Based on your description, you probably need to go higher on your calories. Your symptoms are serious enough that mere walking, drinking water, or other distraction is not going to work and ignoring it over time can have even more serious effects.
    The ideal way to handle it is to take a metabolic rate test. There are various places that perform this test, but the cheapest option for me was to have it done by a nutritionist (preferable not the one you’re currently seeing). The downside is that it’s not cheap. I paid $100 for mine. But overall, I found that it was worth it. That test told me that my resting metabolic rate was 1500 calories. Meaning, if I didn’t work out, I could eat 1500 calories to maintain my weight. Based on that information, I could go as low as 1200 calories and still be fine. By the time I saw my nutritionist, I was logging in around 1100 calories, working out a crap ton, and actually eating way less than the portions I was logging in. Overall, I felt fine, but I wasn’t losing weight. Go figure. If you eat too few calories, there’s a good chance that your body shuts down other bodily functions to counteract the lack of calories that you’re putting in. Not eating enough can have short term effects such as what you’re feeling to some serious long term effects. So no, it’s not just calorie in, calorie out. Knowing this number is quite important. I found out about taking the test through a friend who was on a 1200 calorie diet, but she was starving all the time. Turns out, her metabolic rate is much higher than mine. Her absolute minimum was 1400 calories. So yes, given how much and how hard you work out, it’s entirely possible that 1500 calories is too low for you. Also, I tried some free internet calculator for my metabolic rate. It was over by 400 calories. I guess you get what you pay for.
    As for logging in your workouts. I think it’s worthwhile to do it. Unfortunately, I don’t know how accurate your Apple watch is. I’ve read in the news that Fitbits are not particularly reliable. Fitbits are pretty loose on your wrist anyway, so I could see how it wouldn’t be particularly accurate. Treadmills and other machines like that are so inaccurate, there’s no point in bothering with those. I use a heart rate monitor, which I still don’t know how accurate it is either. I think, and I’m definitely not sure, it’s more accurate in that the heart rate monitor is on your chest and not your wrist. But hey, I guess being slightly off is better than not knowing anything at all. I don’t recommend the MFP calorie counts for exercises because they’re completely off in comparison to what my heart rate monitor registers for my workout. Not to mention, there’s no way it could monitor my actual effort.
    Based on the comments from the people above, you could also try to eat healthier foods like more vegetables, probably more protein, and switch your carbs to quality carbs. Making those changes will make you feel fuller over longer periods of time than crappy food, not to mention, you still need nutrients that quality foods provide. Based on my nutritionist’s recommendations, my macros is 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. There is an actual mathematical way to calculate how much carbs and protein you need to eat. www.girlsgonestrong.com has it somewhere on their website. I recommend looking into it (and generally that whole website) because your macros will probably be different than mine.
    As for your nutritionist’s recommendation on only doing cardio and no weight lifting… well, it works if you’re only concerned about losing weight as fast as you can, like some weight loss challenge. You really should incorporate weight lifting and not the light weight “toning” crap that some women do. As a general rule, women can’t naturally get bulky from weight lifting. They just don’t produce enough testosterone. Women who claimed to lifted weights and got bulky from it are probably one of 2 types: those who are eating too much and are overcompensating for their weight lifting or are those who think any hint of muscle is bulky.
    The thing about weight lifting (and I mean lifting heavy and especially with good form of course) is that muscles weigh more. 1 pound of fast is much bigger than 1 pound of muscle. If you have more muscle, you’ll end up being skinnier than you are at the same weight with no muscle. I’ve actually seen pictures of a girl who weighed the same, but one picture was based on strictly cardio and the other included weight lifting. The difference? While she weighed the same, she was noticeably skinnier and fitter with the weight lifting. Again, because muscle is more dense than fat. If you want to see the pictures yourself, you can find it on that same website I mentioned above.
    Here’s the deal about cardio versus weight lifting. In a cardio session, you will burn more calories during the time you’re working out than the time you spend lifting weights. However, the trick about weight lifting is that it increases your metabolism over the course of the day. So the more muscles you have, the more calories you burn even if you’re just sitting down doing nothing, whereas cardio only burns the calories while you’re doing it. Of course, you should always do both because they’re accomplishing 2 different things.
    It might be better to try to incorporate size rather than just weight as a means of accomplishing your goals. Actually, it may be possible to have your body fat percentage calculated at your gym for free. My gym offers it and it only takes a few seconds. The downside is that gyms use the electronic one and your body fat percentage will vary depending on the amount of water you have in your body. There is an accurate way of testing your real body fat, but it costs so much, I wouldn’t even suggest it.
    Weight is mostly your gravitational pull to the earth anyway. I knew a guy who was complaining about not losing weight, but his clothes were actually becoming looser, which told me that he was losing fat, but not weight. Also, I know a girl who is maybe 1 or 2 inches taller than me, weighs about the same/slightly more than me, and yet, she’s like half my width. (She can also lift considerably more than I do). There are lots of reasons why you don’t lose weight or that your weight fluctuates. The main thing is to focus on being healthy and happy.
    Most importantly, feeling confident about being healthy is way more important and easier on the body than trying to look a certain way. I’m sure it will give you less stress when you perform.
    Good luck!
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    "screw this" was pretty close to what I am feeling today....I just used a different word to describe it ;)
    I'm right there with you. I've been weighing and logging all of my food and working out 5x/wk for the last month and I've gained a couple of pounds. I've been mixing cardio and weights, hoping that some of the weight gain is muscle. I've been setting my calorie goal at 1500/day and eating some back, but not all. I wake up hungry in the middle of the night. It is sooooo frustrating!! Wish I had advice, but I definitely commiserate :(
  • django_rheinhardt
    Options
    "screw this" was pretty close to what I am feeling today....I just used a different word to describe it ;)
    I'm right there with you. I've been weighing and logging all of my food and working out 5x/wk for the last month and I've gained a couple of pounds. I've been mixing cardio and weights, hoping that some of the weight gain is muscle. I've been setting my calorie goal at 1500/day and eating some back, but not all. I wake up hungry in the middle of the night. It is sooooo frustrating!! Wish I had advice, but I definitely commiserate :(

Seriously. Eat more. There is no reason why you should be waking up in the middle of the night due to hunger.