I keep falling off the wagon!

Options
Hello. I'm 58 and about 10 lbs overweight. I keep getting stuck here, or struggle to keep from going higher. Quite active. I walk a dog, exercise 3 times a week and do regular yoga. But, I love food too much and have a sweet tooth. Would love to cut sugar out as I feel it's the real enemy here, but no way can I stop having it in tea or coffee and always have a craving for something sweet after meals. Has anyone found a cure for this?

Replies

• kevinlee1981
    kevinlee1981 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have cut out as many processed carbs as I can, and replaced them with vegetables. Carbs and sugar were my Achilles heel. All my soda, or milk intake has been replaced with water, or cashew milk. I have eliminated breads, pastas, and that sort of thing, entirely, and replaced them with almonds when I need a crunchy snack. I switched from my old life style to a keto based diet, of high protein, and low carbs, and the rest is fat, trying to keep my carbs under 50g, but even then it is mostly broccoli. I am losing weight, feeling better, and looking better. I can't suggest this for everyone, as it is a very tough transition, but it is working great for me.

Keep going, one day at a time.
  • Sigurjonsig
    Sigurjonsig Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have dark chocolate about 70% in the fridge. I eat a small chunk in sugar craving or with coffee. About the cravings it is usually lack of healthy fat. Try few almonds or nuts every day or 1/4 of an avocato in your meals. I read somwhere that if you drink bcaa it will help with sugar craving. Rembember not feeling guilty if you have something sweet now and then. Also you can make a healthy crackers using oats. plenty of recipes out there.
  • sue4159
    sue4159 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some really good tips there. I do eat very healthily, just a bit too much. I will try the 70% chocolate. It might stop me emptying the fruit bowl to get a sugar fix and then having the sweet thing anyway.
  • mneiswender
    mneiswender Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Since we're in the MyFitnessPal discussion area I will say that logging my calories is the most helpful thing I've ever done for weight loss. I mainly follow a low-carb diet which means I'm avoiding most sugar anyway, but I still have a tendency to overcompensate with low carb calories and unless I pay close attention to my net calorie intake i don't lose weight even on a pretty strict Atkins diet regimen. My suggestion to you is start logging meticulously all your calories. You'll soon notice that a few teaspoons of sugar in tea or coffee take away your food budget for the actual meals you would like to eat. I notice it very quickly and if I'm conscientious about logging everything in it's amazing how much i learn about what gives extra calories and therefore extra weight. Honestly if you can get by with nothing but a green leaf salad with lemon juice for lunch that's probably 30 or 40 calories and then go ahead sister have sugary sweet iced tea as long as lunch total is whatever you have buffeted. What you can't do is have a full calorie lunch and then throw the bonus calories from the drink on top of it. That's the slippery slope. Over time you can make the Judgment as to whether or not the sweet drink makes your day as enjoyable as some solid less calorie-dense Foods you could eat in place of those sugar calories.
  • sue4159
    Options
    Thank you. Of course you're right. I have to stop adding sugar to tea and coffee or sacrifice a decent meal. I have turned over a new leaf today and started logging meals again. I had made the excuse that I've been to busy to do it for a few weeks, but it does keep you on track. Thanks again.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Your tastes can change over time, if you stick with something. :) I always had two spoonfuls of sugar in my tea as a youngster, just because that was the way my mum always made it and I was used to the taste. In my late teens I decided I wanted to cut down, and I switched to low-cal sweeteners for a while. I gradually cut those down too, and after a while my tea was completely sugarless. Now, I can't stand it if any sugar gets into my tea by accident! Coffee is a different beast, for me, but if it's good coffee I can just about stand to drink it black and sugarless (though I'd rather add cream). The cheap brand my husband likes, though, absolutely requires sweet, flavoured creamer to blunt the taste of the stuff... regular cream just won't do! ;)

It was the same with chocolate for me... when I first started with MFP I never thought I'd be able to give up chocolate so I decided I needed to work it into my days. I've always preferred dark chocolate to milk, so I started buying bars of 85% dark stuff and rationing it out to a couple of squares every day or two. Again I gradually cut that down, and now I find that I just don't crave it like I used to. I can have a bar in the fridge for weeks on end and not touch it, which still amazes me! Anything sweeter, though, can still set me off. My usual brand wasn't in stock one week and I bought 72% instead... I couldn't make that last the week! I think that because it was so much sweeter I found it harder to stop eating it and I just wanted more, which most of the time isn't an issue with the 85%. So I decided to just not buy that in future.

It's not always easy, but it is possible for a lot of people to learn to moderate their intake. It doesn't work for everyone, but in many cases it's just a question of perseverance and pushing through the cravings. :)

Think about what you could substitute, perhaps... although a previous poster was against artificial sweeteners, there's nothing wrong with substituting diet sodas for regular ones, for example, if you can stand the taste. I tried Coke Zero for the first time the other day and it wasn't too bad - hubby says he can taste the aspartame in it but I didn't really notice it. I'm not a big soda drinker anyway though. You can also buy Zevia brand sodas which are sweetened with stevia, but those are quite expensive IMO. Might be worth it if you don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners but really want soda. I've learned that I'd rather eat something sweet than drink my calories!

Something like a calorie-free soda after your evening meal might take the place of a dessert for that taste of sweetness, or you could look for low-calorie dessert options and just fit them into your day. (Personally I love Chapman's Triple Berry sorbet, 60 calories for 1/2 cup (85g). Other people swear by Halo Top ice cream, which I've never tried but which I gather is around 200-250 cals for a whole pint.) You don't have to give up your sweet treats completely if you don't want to, but you might have to learn to moderate them or at least not have them every day. It can be done! :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're only ten pounds from your goal, it's going to be harder to lose those pounds. I've been stuck at the same weight for a year now and have 10-15 pounds to go.

I use half and half (light cream) in my daily coffee, and sweeten it with stevia. But -- if you look at the calories in the sugar you put in your coffee and tea, I'll wager that's a small fraction of your daily calorie intake.

Worrying about the sugar in your coffee is kind of like someone worrying about the cost of the chewing gum he buys twice a week rather than the bar bills he accumulates from going out drinking with his friends every night.

I love food, and I love sweet things -- I've just learned to moderate my input. I'll have a chocolate bar from time to time, or a dish of ice cream (full fat, full sugar). But I'll allow for them within my calorie budget for the week. I stay in control by going out and buying a dish of ice cream or a chocolate bar, rather than keeping it around the house. I have no intention of spending the rest of my life without the things I love to eat.

These chocolate bars are sweetened with stevia and erithrytol -- you might give them a try -- I've had them in the past and liked them. They're about 100 calories each:

https://chocorite.com/low-carb-sugar-free-chocolate-bars.html
  • sue4159
    Options
    Wow thanks for that. I will have a look. Although I like to think I could train myself to forget about sugar, you're right, that if it's only once in a while, why deprive yourself. Thanks and good luck. Do you exercise to help with your goal?
  • sue4159
    Options
    SueSueDio

Are you a Phil Collins or Genesis fan by any chance? Many thanks for your post. I'm not sure if I can get the ice cream you mentioned here in the UK, but I will have a look. I've never really been into soda drinks, so my calories are definitely not coming from there, but I have a real problem with tea or coffee without sugar and can't stand the artificial sweetness. I also have a glass of wine most nights, which is probably not ideal. Anyway today has been quite good, so onwards and upwards.
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    I can't get Halo Top here, but I hear it's good! ;) There's nothing wrong with a glass of wine either, if it fits in your calories - just try to make sure it's not pushing out something more nutritious. If you're getting enough protein, fats etc. in your day and you still have the calories for wine, enjoy it! If it doesn't usually fit, perhaps just have a glass every other day instead, or a smaller amount each day. It's always a choice between what you want to eat/drink and how much you want to stay within your calorie goal, and if you go over one day you can always try to eat a little less the next. :)

Make sure you don't have your goal set too low, because if you only have a few pounds to lose then you shouldn't be at a large deficit now. It'll be slow, but it'll be easier to stick to!

If you don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and you can't stand unsweetened tea/coffee, then I guess you have a couple of choices - either cut down your intake to however many cups you can manage to fit in your day, or increase your activity to give you enough extra calories to buffer your hot drink habit. ;) There's nothing wrong with burning more calories through exercise just to allow you to have what you want, if you don't go overboard with it!

Have you tried Truvia or another stevia sweetener, by the way? It might be worth a try to see if you like that, since many people say it doesn't have the aftertaste you get with artificial types.

You could also experiment with different types of tea... I can't drink my Tetley black, but if I want tea without the extra calories from milk (which aren't many but sometimes I want to save a few), I drink Assam or Earl Grey. My local Bulk Barn has a bunch of different types of loose and flavoured teas/teabags, so I pick up a few spoonfuls of a new one to try each time I go in there! (Not sure if there's an equivalent in the UK (I emigrated ten years ago), but there might be somewhere that sells loose tea like that where you can just buy a little bit to try it out.)

For coffee, look around to see if you can find sugar-free flavouring syrups... you might be able to find something that gives you the sweetness you want without a weird aftertaste, but it might take some experimentation. You might also like to try almond or hazelnut milk in your coffee - I hate that in tea but it's fine in coffee, and might give you a nice flavour without too many extra calories.

(Oh, and my username comes from a nickname my mum had for me when I was little - the song always reminded me of that! :) )
  • stephnelson2014
    stephnelson2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started today and already been eating what I shouldn't over loading the chocolate addiction I just can't stop
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    I just started today and already been eating what I shouldn't over loading the chocolate addiction I just can't stop

Yes, you can stop. :) You need to WANT to stop, and you need to ration your chocolate into smaller portions.

Don't tell yourself that it's "naughty" or "bad" or "forbidden" or any other such word, that sort of thing has a tendency to make people want to go overboard with it. Make sure you can fit some into your calories, then save it for the end of the day if you can. When you find yourself craving chocolate or something else sweet during the day, reassure yourself that you have some to look forward to after supper and you just need to hold out a bit longer. (If this is too hard to start with, try two smaller portions that you can have after lunch and after supper.)

Try to find something to occupy yourself with if you're feeling bored or want to go looking for snacks, especially if you can do something that keeps your hands busy. It does take time, especially if you've been used to just eating chocolate whenever you fancied some, so you're going to need to have some self-control and discipline... but like any other skill, that can be learned and it gets easier the more you practice it. You can do it!

(If you like dark chocolate, try that too - as dark as you can stand it. (I have tried 92% and that was just too bitter for my taste!) The less sweet it is, the easier it is to stop after a couple of squares - at least that's what I and some other people have found.)
  • sue4159
    Options
    I find it easier if theres no chocolate in the house. If i have to put on my coat and go out in the cold to buy some, i can talk myself out of it. Trouble comes when someone else in the house has chocolate !
  • sue4159
    Options
    stephnelson2014

hows it going today?

• cguydo
    cguydo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sue4159 wrote: »
    Hello. I'm 58 and about 10 lbs overweight. I keep getting stuck here, or struggle to keep from going higher. Quite active. I walk a dog, exercise 3 times a week and do regular yoga. But, I love food too much and have a sweet tooth. Would love to cut sugar out as I feel it's the real enemy here, but no way can I stop having it in tea or coffee and always have a craving for something sweet after meals. Has anyone found a cure for this?

Sue! We should be friends on here-your story sounds similar to mine. I'm about 10 lbs overweight. I've lost 5 so far but would still like to lose 15 lbs. I started cutting most added sugars out of my diet 2.5 weeks ago since I heard it's as addictive as cocaine! I'll add you!
  • cguydo
    Options

We can motivate eat other to cut out some of these sugary foods! (As much as we can of course)
  • cguydo
    Options
    I have dark chocolate about 70% in the fridge. I eat a small chunk in sugar craving or with coffee. About the cravings it is usually lack of healthy fat. Try few almonds or nuts every day or 1/4 of an avocato in your meals. I read somwhere that if you drink bcaa it will help with sugar craving. Rembember not feeling guilty if you have something sweet now and then. Also you can make a healthy crackers using oats. plenty of recipes out there.

What's bcaa?
  • cguydo
    Options
    I have cut out as many processed carbs as I can, and replaced them with vegetables. Carbs and sugar were my Achilles heel. All my soda, or milk intake has been replaced with water, or cashew milk. I have eliminated breads, pastas, and that sort of thing, entirely, and replaced them with almonds when I need a crunchy snack. I switched from my old life style to a keto based diet, of high protein, and low carbs, and the rest is fat, trying to keep my carbs under 50g, but even then it is mostly broccoli. I am losing weight, feeling better, and looking better. I can't suggest this for everyone, as it is a very tough transition, but it is working great for me.

Keep going, one day at a time.

Also doing a similar thing!
  • sue4159
    Options
    Wow thats impressive. I dont think icould keep that up for long. The methid im currently applying, especially durung the holiday seasoni to eat absolutely anythjng i want......BUT, only half of a normal portion. That way don't feel all deprived. Lets see how long it takes before im having 6 potatoes at dinner again !