SOS - I don't want to hit 300 lbs! Help me to help myself, please

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Simply outstanding! Congratulations on your epiphany.

I know it's going to be difficult, but don't overdo this. MFP is a brilliant tool if used correctly. As others have shared - read the stickies. Ask more questions and listen well to the advice given. You'll learn quickly who to listen to and who to ignore. I'm a huge believer in kaizen - small changes having a dramatic impact over time. Set small goals you can live with long term. Hit these goals and establish new goals! Before you know it you'll be drafting a new post on your success.

You will fail along this path at times, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. Learn from each failure and make corrections so that you won't make the same mistake again.
  • avic77
    avic77 Posts: 17 Member
    Wtg for starting! Its hard but you have a support team here. I sent a friend request. I dont get in the forum alot but i post on the wall several times a day.
  • Star0522
    Star0522 Posts: 6 Member
    I am so glad I came across this post. I'm new to all this. I hit the big 50 next year and my goal was to be 150 lbs but I know that will not be possible, well not if I want to to lose weight the right way. I'm currently 264 and miserable. I'm tired of looking this way, feeling this way and tired of being tired. I'm ready to lose weight, get In shape and make a better life for myself. I miss out on so much of life because how I feel and I'm tired of life passing me by. So please add me and we can take this journey together. I need motivation, that is the hardest part for me. I take care of my mom and really don't have anyone I can turn to for help and support. So Moby_Dick I'm looking forward to taking this journey with you. Reading the above post has really help motivate me and know there is people willing to support each other and help them along the way.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    You can add me too for support. I am 65 and was up to 223 lbs. I'm 5'6". I have really bad knee/ankle pain, probably due to weight, old injuries and arthritis. I found I was just sitting around, not really socializing and feeling sorry for myself. I've tried diets before lost weight though never quite getting to goal 145-150, then gaining it all back. This time I've told myself that my husband and my two daughters are also becoming obese and I have to change our lifestyle. So far its only me changing but I have hopes as they see me transform and become healthier it will give them the incentive also. I also found that our "celebrations" always were food orientated. Its your birthday, lets go eat, you graduated, lets go eat. So now I say no, when I reach my goal. Frankly eating out isn't appealing to me anymore..new clothes are. Being able to walk around my neighborhood with the dog is. This morning I got on the scale and I am down to 189. For the past 2 weeks I and up and down to this weight. So hopefully I will begin to lose again shortly. I don't want to sound like an ad but this time I am eating "Nutrisystem" foods and one day a week I will eat my own "revised" meal. I always over ate, have a big bowl of spaghetti with meat sauce...yum..but I'd have 2 sometimes even 3, though I kidded myself by just adding an extra spoon or so. But it added up. Now I don't touch it. On my food days I will eat fish and a non starchy veggie. I still have a way to go learning to eat healthier but finally after 3 months I am satisfied most days with my portions. Yesterday I learned I was eating too much fruit and that may be a cause in my stall of weight loss..too much sugar...See I was also a sugar addict. So I am reducing that today to stay in my limit. Sorry guys for the long post but if I can help motivate any of you feel free to add me. I log everyday now and comment.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Well done - you know what you want and how to get it! Joining here is a great first step. You are in great company. Read the success stories and know - for certain- that you can do this.
    I agree about making small changes and making ones you can live with forever.
    Expect small changes in your weight on the way down - these are the ones that last.
    It is hard to be patient - so celebrate every pound lost and every small life-style change you stick to.
    Good luck for the challenges ahead.
  • Moby_Dick
    Moby_Dick Posts: 26 Member
    I stepped on the scale today and I wasn't scared, I smiled. It's going to be a long rocky road it will take time. Lots of unthinking on my part. I appreciate all your friend requests. It's more fun in a group.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Moby_Dick wrote: »
    I stepped on the scale today and I wasn't scared, I smiled. It's going to be a long rocky road it will take time. Lots of unthinking on my part. I appreciate all your friend requests. It's more fun in a group.

I'm glad you found support in my comment. I, in no way, tried to call you out or get under you skin (I think I understand what you mean). I hurt moving less than I hurt not moving, so I thought I might share that experience, and it was mentally therapeutic walking- I needed that.

I felt like I was on the verge of losing mobility, I was going down fighting!

I have permanent nerve damage in my left sciatic nerve, in my rear. It's been a journey to not let it become my identity, and let it define me. Although, it's constantly a part of my day. I'm getting better now, not worse.

Best wishes!

• DaybyDay517
    DaybyDay517 Posts: 5 Member
    Every word of your post is true to my heart.
  • ferret150
    ferret150 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey
    Moby Dick I am so touched by post. I am 35 with many chronic illness one of which is arthritis of both knees. I was 260 at the beginning of the year. I have since lost 67 pounds. But I still have a long way to go as I currently weigh 193 (I haven't been under 200 in 10+ years) and want to lose another 40-50 pounds. You can do it, we are all in this together. You can add me if you like.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    @Moby_Dick,

Thanks for your honesty. That alone is inspiring. I've never been where you are, but I've seen some amazing transformations shared here on mfp. I'm looking forward to seeing you share yours over the coming months and years as well.

You can do this :)
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I think its just amazing reading all our stories. We can all do this by staying focused, working together. Isn't this a great world we live in when we all see how common our struggles and goals are. You all have brightened my day too.
  • Sigurjonsig
    Sigurjonsig Posts: 10 Member
    That is a goal you have set yourself. Print it and put it on your fridge. So you see it everyday. I would start cleaning up the diet one thing in a time. Get rid of soda and juices. Water, water and water is number one. Never skip breakfast. I always have oatmeal with few eggs it keep me full longer. skip the fries,pasta and pizzas. Take one step at time. one day at the time. I see myself in you. I stepped in before. It will not be easy but with the list on the fridge you will succeed.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Your goals are all worthy--keep them in mind. I'd suggest that you take your measurements once a week or once a month and keep a journal. As you go forward you'll hit times when you're not losing. It can be discouraging. I would pull out my journal and see how many inches I'd lost since I started, and feel good about myself and my progress. Then I'd come on the boards and read the success stories, and then I'd be ready to keep going. Best.
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    edited December 2016
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Congratulations on deciding that you're ready to change! That part is hard and feels impossible. 1.5 years ago I was 262 pounds and miserable, I felt like I would never get better, but you will. Start small, cut all sofa for a month. Then fast food down to once a week. Walk 1 mile a day, then 1 and a half. It's slow, but you are ready and people here will support you!! It's work, I mean hard work. You are the biggest obstacle you'll face! It's hard to be over weight and it's hard to lose it, pick the hard you want to fight for! lmzuijcdj9h9.jpg

Thank you for posting those incredible photos!!! I am coming from 262lbs trying to get back to my pre-baby weight and you are giving life!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    So, I started losing weight when I was 290, also a writer who was working at home. I lost about 100 pounds, stopped for a while, and gained about 10 pounds back before deciding I'm not quite done yet.

I would recommend starting small; pick out the first and easiest thing to change, and get good at that. I started by just counting calories for a few weeks to see how much I was really eating. Once I had a handle on that, I focused on no longer drinking calories, and then I started cutting back on specific foods here and there. I started moving around more after that.

Also: keep your expectations reasonable. It took me something like two years to lose those 100 pounds, and I don't ever really stop thinking about food. I still weigh my food, and I still always have to understand that deep in my heart, I have bad habits. I effin' love salty snacks while watching TV with my husband. (Hence, the regain over the last year.)

Good luck with it! It's not easy, but it's also not complicated. You can do it!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2016
    Wow. What an open and moving request for help!

Lots of people have already given great advice. I will offer a little more. I have been through some of the same things you have, including illness and insane steroid-related weight gain. It is very depressing and the eating habits are hard to break. Here are some things that work for me:

1. Love yourself. Life is hard. You survived, so you must have done something right to get this far. Now you are ready to do something about your weight. Congratulations! You are off to a great start.

2. Take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Don't do it because you should. Do it because it feels good and you deserve it!

3. Log your meals carefully and honestly. Aim for modest calorie deficits daily. MFP makes it easy, as long as you keep at it.

4. Do *something* active every day. Go for walks. Take the stairs instead of an elevator. Find some workout videos you like on Youtube. Join a gym and use it. Do some calisthenics at home. Something.

5. Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are not. Snacking prevents over-eating at meal-time. Replace simple carbs with protein and higher-fiber alternatives, whenever possible.

6. Do what you can, when you can. When you can do more, do more.

7. Don't worry about the big weight loss goal. Focus on the small successes that move you toward it and celebrate each one as gift to yourself that contributes to your long-term health and well-being.

Each step taken, each stair climbed, each french fry not eaten, each dessert skipped, each mile walked, each trip to the gym, ... they all add up. Over time, those small successes will lead to your big goal, and if you make them a habit, you will stay there.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Wow. What an open and moving request for help!

Lots of people have already given great advice. I will offer a little more. I have been through some of the same things you have, including illness and insane steroid-related weight gain. It is very depressing and the eating habits are hard to break. Here are some things that work for me:

1. Love yourself. Life is hard. You survived, so you must have done something right to get this far. Now you are ready to do something about your weight. Congratulations! You are off to a great start.

2. Take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Don't do it because you should. Do it because it feels good and you deserve it!

3. Log your meals carefully and honestly. Aim for modest calorie deficits daily. MFP makes it easy, as long as you keep at it.

4. Do *something* active every day. Go for walks. Take the stairs instead of an elevator. Find some workout videos you like on Youtube. Join a gym and use it. Do some calisthenics at home. Something.

5. Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are not. Snacking prevents over-eating at meal-time. Replace simple carbs with protein and higher-fiber alternatives, whenever possible.

6. Do what you can, when you can. When you can do more, do more.

7. Don't worry about the big weight loss goal. Focus on the small successes that move you toward it and celebrate each one as gift to yourself that contributes to your long-term health and well-being.

Each step taken, each stair climbed, each french fry not eaten, each dessert skipped, each mile walked, each trip to the gym, ... they all add up. Over time, those small successes will lead to your big goal, and if you make them a habit, you will stay there.

This is all great advice.
  • mrsonewattle
    mrsonewattle Posts: 2 Member
    Don't obsess about the larger number of pounds you want to lose in total, this goal can seem unachievable and depressing. Try aiming for half a stone (7lbs) first, then another half a stone once you've lost the first.
    Personally I can't lose weight doing every day calorie counting + walking/jogging/running three miles three times a week (I tried and tried!), but I CAN lose weight, easily losing 2-3lbs a week, doing the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet where I eat only 500 calories in two days each week, then WHATEVER I fancy on the other five days of the week. The BBC documentary by Dr Michael Mosley introduced me to this (and its benefits on cholesterol and blood sugar levels), it might be on BBC iPlayer or YouTube.
    This is the second time I've used the 5:2 diet and so far this time I've lost 21lbs in about 7 weeks (started at 222lbs).
  • Moby_Dick
    Moby_Dick Posts: 26 Member
    I love all the advice you have given me.

The word diet gets me into a panic mode, I decided against it. I am not on a diet. I will cook normal, and I will eat normal. Carbs, fiber, protein, fat and a bit sugar. If I want to have a beer in the evening, then I have to cut the food calories. It's not rocket science when you start doing it. Some numbers surprise me, seeing the calories in black and white, damn it hurts. I overate all the time.

More veggies, more fruits, healthy carbs, lean protein. I learned a lot about food last week, streamed all kind of movies. Healthy eating requires healthy food. It's shocking what they can put in our food today.

The "aha moment" came when I looked in the china cabinet. An old soup bowl from 1925 got my attention. It's cute (don't know how to upload pics) it's small, much smaller than today's soup bowls. I got the measuring cups, and it floored me. Our soup bowls today hold three times the amount. Why did I never notice?

Portion control is the key to getting my overeating under control. There was a time when I ate normal; I have to find my way back to it. Moving is hard. I carry an adult person on my back. My knees hurt, my back aches and have troubles breathing.

I am not 20 anymore; my ankles are swollen, and I have some health issues. I want to lose at least 40 pounds before I start walking. Overall health and age is a factor if I like it or not. I scheduled a physical in January. I feel I need to share my plans with my doctor.

Thank you for all the friend request. Please, be patient with me.