Tips on a 1200 cal meal plan

Options
Can anyone share their diary or post how they stick to 1200?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't stick to 1200 calories. This is MFP's default minimum (before exercise) ......so if you struggle with it, it might be too low for you.

This site has good ideas. You can plug in your calorie goal. https://www.eatthismuch.com/
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The only way I could stick with 1200 calories was to not exercise. I had an approximate 220 calorie breakfast, 300 calorie lunch, 450 calorie dinner, and the remaining calories were snacks such as 100 calorie yogurt and fruit.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I choose two dishes from Pinterest, cook them on the weekend and split them into low calorie (now I IF and have a larger portion) portions for meals during the week. Breakfast is generally an egg and a meat or a protein shake.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height, weight, goal weight) and what rate of loss did you select? With MFP you are meant to be eating back exercise calories so 1200 should be the minimum if you do no exercise at all. Most people can lose weight eating more than 1200 yet many people enter stats and goals that result in that being the number they are provided.

I tried 1200 NET for about 2 weeks and was miserable and after reading the good advice on these boards that I could probably still lose eating more, I raised it to 1400 then 1500. I'm 5'2 for what it's worth, and lost my weight eating between 1500-1800 cals.

For meal suggestions I would recommend focusing on finding foods that fill you up for relatively few calories if you're going to stick to a lower goal. A mix of lean protein, vegetables, and some starchy carbs works well for me.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What are your stats (height, weight, goal weight) and what rate of loss did you select? With MFP you are meant to be eating back exercise calories so 1200 should be the minimum if you do no exercise at all. Most people can lose weight eating more than 1200 yet many people enter stats and goals that result in that being the number they are provided.

I tried 1200 NET for about 2 weeks and was miserable and after reading the good advice on these boards that I could probably still lose eating more, I raised it to 1400 then 1500. I'm 5'2 for what it's worth, and lost my weight eating between 1500-1800 cals.

For meal suggestions I would recommend focusing on finding foods that fill you up for relatively few calories if you're going to stick to a lower goal. A mix of lean protein, vegetables, and some starchy carbs works well for me.

Mfp says 1200 to lose a pound a week :(

• WinoGelato
    Options

I understand, based on people's stats and what rate of loss they select, most females especially petite ones end up with the 1200 cal target. What I'm saying is it may be possible for you specifically to lose while eating more, but without knowing your stats that's hard to say and to know if 1200 is an appropriate goal for you.

How much weight are you trying to lose total? Do you exercise? Do you eat back some of those calories?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kefir/fruit/oatmeal smoothie for breakfast, milk in coffee. Lunch is BIG salad with chicken breast and lite cheese stick sliced onto it, Dinner is a protein (turkey, chicken, pork or beef, mashed squash of the day with nutmeg, no butter, super easy and fast to cook in an electric pressure cooker and it takes the place of a higher carb side, and another big helping a veggie, usually normandy blend. If I need a snack for hunger on the go I can eat the cheese stick and omit it from the salad, or I have whey protein bars I can eat one, or half and omit the chicken from the salad. If I get a decent amount of steps or activity from my fitbit charge hr, I can have popcorn (air popped no butter) while relaxing in front of the boob tube later at night, it keeps me from going to bed hungry. Or I'll eat another cheese stick, slice of 45 cal velveeta, or whatever else fits in my calories for the day. My diary is open. Ignore last nights party, lol.

I'm 5'5" currently 166.2 lbs, age 50, activity level sedentary/not very active.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I understand, based on people's stats and what rate of loss they select, most females especially petite ones end up with the 1200 cal target. What I'm saying is it may be possible for you specifically to lose while eating more, but without knowing your stats that's hard to say and to know if 1200 is an appropriate goal for you.

How much weight are you trying to lose total? Do you exercise? Do you eat back some of those calories?

I see. I'm 5"6 and 79.5kg. Want to lose 10kg ideally. I do exercise but tend to eat half back. In fairness lately I'm struggling to keep calories down (emotional eating).
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Super easy to feel stuffed on 1200 Kcals of unprocessed food. Volume is your friend. Complex Carbs are your besties!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Let's see...at the moment I'm at 1200 for the day and I'd be fine if I had to stop eating.

I had a 325 calorie breakfast. Coffee with cream, sugar, and a pint of halo top ice cream

In the afternoon I ate a whole cucumber with hot sauce and a protein bar for about 300 calories

Dinner was 428. A giant bowl of greens, tomato, fat free refried beans, lean ground turkey, laughing cow cheese and hot sauce.

That comes to 1147. I'd add my fish oil and pre-workout calories in too
  • annadnaluom
    annadnaluom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel like I already ate today yet still reached 1300. If you're willing to help, could you please PM me? thanks so much
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I see. I'm 5"6 and 79.5kg. Want to lose 10kg ideally. I do exercise but tend to eat half back. In fairness lately I'm struggling to keep calories down (emotional eating).

With less than 25 lbs to lose, 0.5 lb/week might be a better goal for you. It would likely give you a higher calorie target which may make it easier to fit in foods that fill you up and help avoid the triggers for the emotional eating (which I often think start as Hunger but then kind of turn into "oh well I already blew my goal might as well keep eating" situations).
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I feel like I already ate today yet still reached 1300. If you're willing to help, could you please PM me? thanks so much

What specifically are you looking for help with and why are you asking for someone to PM you? Is it not something you want to discuss on this thread?
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I messaged you. Probably 4 days a week I do 1,200 calories. The rest of the time I go over a little. Check your mail.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I follow this website www.skinnytaste.com. Gives you LOADS of ideas for tasty, easy meals :) I have been at 1200 cal for around 2 weeks, and this website makes it easy to stay within my cal range without getting bored of the same foods.

Give it a try! Also, 1200 cal is to lose 2lbs a week, even if you go over a bit every once in a while it won't hurt your weight loss journey!

At 1200 cal I still lose weight and enjoy the food I eat using that website :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I follow this website www.skinnytaste.com. Gives you LOADS of ideas for tasty, easy meals :) I have been at 1200 cal for around 2 weeks, and this website makes it easy to stay within my cal range without getting bored of the same foods.

Give it a try! Also, 1200 cal is to lose 2lbs a week, even if you go over a bit every once in a while it won't hurt your weight loss journey!

At 1200 cal I still lose weight and enjoy the food I eat using that website :)

It is not 2lbs of week for everyone. It depends on your TDEE
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I track most days and have lost almost 40 pounds on 1200 cal/day. I'm 5'2" and occasionally eat back exercise calories but not often. For me, it has helped to limit processed foods and to "watch" starchy carbs, at least while I was losing (about to maintenance now).
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

It is not 2lbs of week for everyone. It depends on your TDEE[/quote]

Very true. I was stating what I know. And what I know is by lowering my cal intake to 1200 i lose 2lbs a week...