Apple Cider Vinegar Detox

Replies

• clpmm1881
    clpmm1881 Posts: 17 Member
    Nope.

I tried it when I first started losing weight because a friend of mine told me it was awesome for weight loss. After a couple of days of choking down a tablespoon before meals, I realized that the only benefit of drinking something that I imagine is what sipping bile must taste like would be that it was so off-putting that it turned me off food completely. Then I got smart and actually read up about it and realized that all of the derp and woo surrounding it as a cure-all was being propagated by the company that actually sells it.

I can't even use it in salad dressings anymore because even the merest hint of it now makes me gag. :(

OP: What is it that you expect ACV to actually "detox" you from?

I love the flavor of ACV (I'm a weirdo) so I thought I would try it. I heard it speeds up your metabolism and helps with digestion.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    clpmm1881 wrote: »
    Nope.

I tried it when I first started losing weight because a friend of mine told me it was awesome for weight loss. After a couple of days of choking down a tablespoon before meals, I realized that the only benefit of drinking something that I imagine is what sipping bile must taste like would be that it was so off-putting that it turned me off food completely. Then I got smart and actually read up about it and realized that all of the derp and woo surrounding it as a cure-all was being propagated by the company that actually sells it.

I can't even use it in salad dressings anymore because even the merest hint of it now makes me gag. :(

I love the flavor of ACV (I'm a weirdo) so I thought I would try it. I heard it speeds up your metabolism and helps with digestion.

Nope. Sorry. ;)

It can, however, dissolve the enamel from your teeth. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    ...aarrgghh - double post.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    edited December 2016
    Nope.

I like the flavour too. I mix 2 teaspoons of ACV with a teaspoon of honey and boiling water when I have a cold. It soothes the throat and the hot vinegar does wonders for my sinus.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Nope.

Exercise will boost your metabolism, apple cider vinegar will not. If your drinking the stuff straight it can do a lot of damage to your teeth.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hahaha. Ok. Nevermind. I just thought it might help me poop. Stupid low-carb diet.... lololol

If that's the trouble, then there's other things to consider. Are you doing low carb, high fat? typically the fat will keep things moving. Are you getting enough fibre and fluids?

Apparently not. And I haven't checked the fat, just watching carbs.

If you're doing low carb, fat must be on the higher side with protein moderate.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Nope.

I like the flavour too. I mix 2 teaspoons of ACV with a teaspoon of honey and boiling water when I have a cold. It soothes the throat and the hot vinegar does wonders for my sinus.

Yeah. ACV made my sore throat go away. I think that it may be useful for a couple things.
  • clpmm1881
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    Nope.

Exercise will boost your metabolism, apple cider vinegar will not. If your drinking the stuff straight it can do a lot of damage to your teeth.

I was mixing it with warm water. Just a couple tablespoons. It's delicious.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Does low carb stop you eating veg? I've never done it - increasing veg would usually take care of this problem.
  • clpmm1881
    Does low carb stop you eating veg? I've never done it - increasing veg would usually take care of this problem.

Some veggies. A lot of it is still high in carbs. What I do eat helps a bit but not as much as I would like.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Nope.

I tried apple cider vinegar to help with water retention. After 1 shot of it, I tipped the bottle down the sink as it is vile.
  • dcornick
    dcornick Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know if it does much for weight loss, but I will personally vouch that it has completely eliminated the terrible heartburn that I had been suffering for months. Even had a doctor's appointment made that I have since cancelled.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Doing shots of it straight? Goodbye, tooth enamel:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/529504-is-apple-cider-vinegar-bad-for-tooth-enamel/
    http://www.thedentalgeek.com/2015/02/the-dark-side-of-the-apple-what-drinking-vinegar-means-for-your-mouth/

I'd also point out that people who try to save calories on salad dressing by just using undiluted vinegar rather than vinegar and oil dressings are doing the same thing.
  • givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2016
    dcornick wrote: »
    I don't know if it does much for weight loss, but I will personally vouch that it has completely eliminated the terrible heartburn that I had been suffering for months. Even had a doctor's appointment made that I have since cancelled.

Odd. I tried doing apple cider vinegar for weight loss before and it gave me heartburn.

Oh and for anyone wondering, no, it didn't work for weight loss. Just made me feel sick to my stomach (but not sick enough to keep me from eating tasty foods, lol).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Nope.

I tried apple cider vinegar to help with water retention. After 1 shot of it, I tipped the bottle down the sink as it is vile.

You're singing my song. Can't stand vinegar. I don't even like it on salads.

My sister started some woo diet that has her drinking some concoction with ginger, ACV, and stevia in water all day long. I can't even.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Apple cider vinegar is awesome on salads. Detox is a bunch of b.s. Also love using ACV for marinade on steak and salmon.
  • clpmm1881
    daj150 wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar is awesome on salads. Detox is a bunch of b.s. Also love using ACV for marinade on steak and salmon.

That sounds amazing!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    I do the beer detox .. works wonders I lost 10 lbs!!!