Which protein powder do you recommend

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i eyeball myprotein all the time, but went with whey isolate from canadianprotein.com. i got the basic vanilla flavour and skipped the whole grass-fed hype, and i'm really happy with it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want it for days when I need a quick breakfast that I can bring with me on the go.

Herbalife.
    It's not just a protein powder, it's meant to help with weight loss and be used as a substitute for regular meals. I think it tastes good but it depends on your taste too... I used it for the same purpose you want it or if I ate more throughout a day so I need quick healthy low calorie option for dinner.. price can be a little bit higher but I can't be sure because it depends from where you live and who's your provider

axun7d91wqn4.gif
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I suppose I shouldn't say anything that might be construed as slander, but Herbalife is not a product I'd ever use. It formerly contained ephedra until the FDA banned it. Herbalife was one of the main companies fighting to keep ephedra legal. (I got this from McArdle and Katch's Exercise Physiology, an excellent book if you want the truth behind all the fitness and nutrition rumors.)

Ephedrine (in pure form) is still legal here in Canada in small doses (8 mg, it was 25 mg up to 2002). For some, it's safe. I've used it in the past and I use it now. But in a large population it occasionally causes heart problems and even death in certain individuals. That's why I don't agree with Herbalife using ephedra as a sort of secret ingredient in their product (to my knowledge, they didn't say that's why it worked.) In Herbalife's defense, they have a much better MLM model than some other MLM companies, although that's not saying much.

Of course this is off topic and doesn't pertain to Herbalife protein products, only to the "energy" products. The protein is likely safe but is probably more expensive than it needs to be. It's not a company I'd do business with.
  • KatarinaKatherine1394
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    I suppose I shouldn't say anything that might be construed as slander, but Herbalife is not a product I'd ever use. It formerly contained ephedra until the FDA banned it. Herbalife was one of the main companies fighting to keep ephedra legal. (I got this from McArdle and Katch's Exercise Physiology, an excellent book if you want the truth behind all the fitness and nutrition rumors.)

Ephedrine (in pure form) is still legal here in Canada in small doses (8 mg, it was 25 mg up to 2002). For some, it's safe. I've used it in the past and I use it now. But in a large population it occasionally causes heart problems and even death in certain individuals. That's why I don't agree with Herbalife using ephedra as a sort of secret ingredient in their product (to my knowledge, they didn't say that's why it worked.) In Herbalife's defense, they have a much better MLM model than some other MLM companies, although that's not saying much.

Of course this is off topic and doesn't pertain to Herbalife protein products, only to the "energy" products. The protein is likely safe but is probably more expensive than it needs to be. It's not a company I'd do business with.

Hm, I didn't know any of that... I've used their protein shakes for a long time and I still use it from time to time and I feel fine, no negative effects... I don't know, each to their own, I guess.. fortunately there's a lot of different kinds of protein shakes from different manufacturers so everybody can find one that suits them
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I use Warrior Food because it's 100% plant based. I'm very lactose intolerant and even whey isolate gives me a stomach ache. Warrior Food is easily digested and I haven't had any stomach issues since I started using it.
  • rks581
    Options
    Hm, I didn't know any of that... I've used their protein shakes for a long time and I still use it from time to time and I feel fine, no negative effects... I don't know, each to their own, I guess.. fortunately there's a lot of different kinds of protein shakes from different manufacturers so everybody can find one that suits them

Well, if they work for you that's fine. There never was any ephedra in the protein shakes, just the energy/weight loss products. And perhaps you're able to get a good price through a friend or something. Since, as far as I know, most proteins are similar in quality, if Herbalife works for you there's nothing wrong with staying with that brand.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Well, if they work for you that's fine. There never was any ephedra in the protein shakes, just the energy/weight loss products. And perhaps you're able to get a good price through a friend or something. Since, as far as I know, most proteins are similar in quality, if Herbalife works for you there's nothing wrong with staying with that brand.

Are you selling?

No, I am NOT interested, just curious when I see this tactic.
  • rks581
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Are you selling?

No, I am NOT interested, just curious when I see this tactic.

No, certainly not. I've read an extensive report about them and edited their Wikipedia article a bit to make it more neutral (less positive). Since I do edit there I tried to be neutral when replying on here as well. They have a lot of lawyers...

I don't sell anything, and my only real-world connection with Herbalife is that I drove past their headquarters while on a cruise. It's in the Cayman Islands... you know, where they don't have any taxes.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use Weider Vegan protein from Costco. Chocolate taste. It does not taste great, but had no sugar and was vegan. Tomorrow Amazon should bring me my Sun Warrior Protein in neutral taste! I'll keep you posted.
    (I am not vegan, but I am dairy-free because I feel better that way.)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I use Jay Robb whey protein in chocolate. It tastes good and it's sweetened with stevia. I'm allergic to splenda and most protein powders are sweetened with that stuff now. I've tried a few with no sweeteners at all and I can't seem to make them taste decent by adding things in.

And it comes in a small bag so you can try it and if you don't like it you don't end up with a 5 pound container of something sitting around. That was the key reason i bought it. lol :)
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Cellucor protein powders. I've tried a few different brands, and I found Cellucors blend better and have better flavors than most. I've just finished my mint chocolate chip and I'm using their chocolate chip cookie dough now.
  • healthydude2
    healthydude2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking for recommendations for a protein powder that tastes good and helps you feel full without artifical sweetners etc. Thanks in advance :)

I use Iron Vegan protein. Tastes good in either vanilla or chocolate. Not a lot of calories per 30g scoop.
    I blend it with Almond milk and a banana after workout (HIIT)

• jayleeskinner
    jayleeskinner Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone:)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with ephedra in any form and only is an issue when people take stupid doses. It was and is one of the best appetite suppressants when combined with caffeine.