Dead lifts!

Options

Replies

• 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    i love me some dead lifts!! i do them as part of the New Rules of Lifting For Women program. Best advice I can give you is to keep your chest and chin up, as well as rolling the bar along your legs as you take it back to the floor. Your weight should primarily be in your heals rather than in your toes-- this is honestly the toughest part for me since dancing has always been about staying on my metatarsal (ball of your foot). I wear lifting gloves, because at first i got blisters. I used a box until I got to the point that I had a 45 plate on each end. When you are just starting and using smaller weight plates like a 10 or a 25 the bar is so low to the ground that it can cause bad form (imo). If you haven't been doing much with weights just start out small. You have plenty of time to add weights; it is more important to have proper form than to lift something heavy. I'm proud of you for trying this... dead lifts can be so intimidating!!! ♥
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It just warms my heart to be told daily how sht my communication skills are.
    :heart:

Please don't take it that way, not what I meant. It just actually made me think of a couple guys at the gym the DL and have the huge reverse-hyper extension to finish the DL and my back hurts for them.
    i love me some dead lifts!!

Hi Slim! :love: :love:
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Buy lifting gloves, the bar blisters my hands when I forget to wear them!

If you are getting blisters you are holding the bar wrong.

I'm pretty sure I'm not, it was the first thing I thought when I got the blisters and I looked it up. I think I just have really delicate skin on my palms. The barbell has a diamondy cross pattern on it for grip, the dumbells have that too and they also cause blisters if I don't have gloves on no matter what I'm doing with them.

How do you think I should be holding it, just in case it's not one of the things I looked up?

Edit: That's a genuine question, just realised it could be interpreted as rude which is isn't supposed to be
  • Sthrncupcake
    Sthrncupcake Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Start off with what you can lift for 6-8 reps....all I could do in the beginning was the bar. Once you can lift more than 8...step up with plates....You will be amazed at how quickly your body will adjust and gain strength!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I'm not, it was the first thing I thought when I got the blisters and I looked it up. I think I just have really delicate skin on my palms. The barbell has a diamondy cross pattern on it for grip, the dumbells have that too and they also cause blisters if I don't have gloves on no matter what I'm doing with them.

How do you think I should be holding it, just in case it's not one of the things I looked up?

Edit: That's a genuine question, just realised it could be interpreted as rude which is isn't supposed to be

The bar should run across the pads of your hands then wrap your hands around the bar, too many people grab the bar with the middle of their hands because that feels the most comfortable.

Rippetoe has a youtube video showing: How to grip a bar/dumbbell, why its important to grip it right, and what will happen if you grip it wrong.

Sadly I'm at work so i can't find the video, you'll have to do your own searching.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options

The bar should run across the pads of your hands then wrap your hands around the bar, too many people grab the bar with the middle of their hands because that feels the most comfortable.

Rippetoe has a youtube video showing: How to grip a bar/dumbbell, why its important to grip it right, and what will happen if you grip it wrong.

Sadly I'm at work so i can't find the video, you'll have to do your own searching.

That's what I do, it causes tiny blisters at the bases of my fingers. I found that video before unfortunately. I don't think it would be a problem if that cross pattern wasn't on the bar.

I've never gripped it with the middle of my hands because I've had several wrist injuries and I physically couldn't do it even if I wanted to.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You should do, at a minimum:
    Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Pull Ups/Chin ups
    Chin ups are so hard D: But now I have to figure out how to do a bench press with a bar. Too google! I'd ask the workers at the gym...but I'm too afraid to. I don't wanna be looked down upon ):
    You should ask!! Nothing compares to having someone watch your form and correct it. I'm sure they'd rather have someone ask than see people lifting incorrectly. :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I like how Mark Rippetoe explains his tutorials on the deadlift:

Anatomy of deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht363HslwnM

Setting up the deadlift
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Intro to deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

Scapula during deadlift
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocCK4BSIMI
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You should do, at a minimum:
    Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Pull Ups/Chin ups
    Chin ups are so hard D: But now I have to figure out how to do a bench press with a bar. Too google! I'd ask the workers at the gym...but I'm too afraid to. I don't wanna be looked down upon ):
    You should ask!! Nothing compares to having someone watch your form and correct it. I'm sure they'd rather have someone ask than see people lifting incorrectly. :)

Wouldn't bother asking, most don't really know either. Check out "So You Think You Can Bench" on YouTube, best bench tutorial I've ever seen at least.
    That's what I do, it causes tiny blisters at the bases of my fingers. I found that video before unfortunately. I don't think it would be a problem if that cross pattern wasn't on the bar.
    Unfortunately not all bars are equal and that part of the bar can be sharper on some bars than on others.
  • teemarania
    Options
    Great info! Thanks, everyone!
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love them (almost as much as I love squatting ... but I don't think a love of squats is all that common).

Someone else who loves squats?! I LOOOOVE squats! :)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    All the info supplied is great - I keep a mantra in my head 'Nipples Up" - aside from all the other obvious techniques to be aware of, this keeps my tummy tight and back straight.
    I know there are quite a few groups on here for lifting for women - which is the best to join for intermediate grade? Would love to get some encouragement and more tips.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    All the info supplied is great - I keep a mantra in my head 'Nipples Up" - aside from all the other obvious techniques to be aware of, this keeps my tummy tight and back straight.
    I know there are quite a few groups on here for lifting for women - which is the best to join for intermediate grade? Would love to get some encouragement and more tips.

Come hang out with us in the "Powerlifters" group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/507-powerlifters
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I love them (almost as much as I love squatting ... but I don't think a love of squats is all that common).

Someone else who loves squats?! I LOOOOVE squats! :)

I love them too! High bar, low bar, front, box! All of them!
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Been using "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Not enough info for newbies on deadlifting--try those websites mentioned to watch videos on form. But GREAT info on weight lifting in general! Started lifting for the first time in May. Can't believe how much strength I didn't have. Real game-changer! Am doing this for life.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks! Just joined!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think I just have really delicate skin on my palms.

I do too. I wear gloves when I lift. I frequently blister or scrape my palm skin when I'm even trying to take lids off of containers like soda bottles.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Just for fun because I'm bored.

185lb deadlift, my form is a little off though:

http://youtu.be/oG78rvuVc74
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Glad you liked the site. They post some really great stuff on there and have a facebook page they share it on as well.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Just for fun because I'm bored.

185lb deadlift, my form is a little off though:

http://youtu.be/oG78rvuVc74

bad link but I'd like to see the lift

I have a deadlift video on www.youtube.com/charliebrooke08 along with some bench and squatting vids.

No expert or super human but I'm happy with my progression :D