Restaurants should post calories

Options

Replies

• devineyallen
    Options
    Yes restaurants definitely need to post the calories! My family is planning on going to olive garden tonight to celebrate one of my aunt's birthdays, so i research the nutrition on the menu online... Come to find out besides the salad (with no dressing) and some soups most things they have are 600 or more calories with 25 or more grams of fat! So I will be eating before i go there tonight so I won't be tempted. A lot of chain restaurants offer the nutritional value of their food items. I worked at chili's bar and grill and we had the nutrition information printed out and available to guests when needed.
  • mstorious
    mstorious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is one thing I love about California. It is a state law that any chain restaurant provide nutritional information on the menu!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Not that I want to kill a bunch of trees, but I feel that if they have it online, they should also have a printed copy if someone asks. I doubt many places are too keen on putting in on the menu because some people will see just how bad some of their best sellers are.

Next time they tell you to go online, you should ask them to provide the computer and internet for you. lol
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    What about places that the information is not available on line. I went to two restaurants recently, Senior Baja and Lucille's BBQ. Both do not provide nutritional information at the restaurant or on-line! When I asked Lucille's they said I would have to call corporate. Seriously! It should be required for all restaurants to post nutritional information somewhere, I would prefer the menu but at least somewhere available online!
  • Gulfgrammy
    Gulfgrammy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly ! But since, in most cases, they don't I go online ahead of time and select from their menu what I plan to eat. I love doing this. That way I can plan my meal ahead and don't over indulge for the day . It's so easy. I usually type in the restaurant's name under add a food on my food journal . Their food selections will show up. It takes me a little time but is so worth it. When I go out I can relax and not worry about my food. I also have the MFP ap on my phone. I check out my foods on it when I go on spur of the moment dining out.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's why you plan ahead if it's that important to you.

Yes, by mandating a restaurant do something just because it makes your life more convenient, is infringing upon their rights. A business should be free to run its establishment as it sees fit. If they find their customers would like that info post it and they think it's worth the money to have menus reprinted, than they'll do so. But to make them do it is wrong, IMO.

I really doubt people would be thin if they posted the cals next to menus either. McDonald's posts the info on their wrappers...are people skinnier since they've done so? Did people stop shoving Big Macs down their throats once they saw the calorie info? Are people skinnier since all these restaurants started posting nutrition info on their bulletin boards and stuff? NO, people are fat as ever. It's because they're busy, or they like what they eat, or any number of other reasons. The information is very attainable already.

If you want to be sure you know what you're eating is healthy, then eat at home. Once enough people do that, the restaurants will voluntarily post info. Force is not necessary.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    I have been somewhat frustrated the last couple times I go out to eat. I always ask for the nutritional information and usually they tell me to go online.

This just seems wrong. You wouldn't be expected to go online to check information before buying a can of soup, so why is it so difficult to find out which meal is going to be healthiest?

Some restaurants have the calories content listed right under the menu item, next to the price, and that is WONDERFUL. How great would it be if every restaurant had to do that? A significant amount of people would probably change their orders depending on it, and restaurants would be inclined to provide healthier options.

Maybe someday....
    OMG....let's start a petition on that "Change.Org site!!!!!!!!
    I SO agree. We went to Applebee's recently, it has never been a fav place for me but mom wanted to go....and what do I discover?! EVERYTHING on the menu has a cal value....and I mean EVERYTHING!!!! :love:
    I was able to have a yummy meal and stay within the cals I wanted to. :heart:
    Now if only Red Lobster will get on board!!!!! And really every big chain out there should be doing this - maybe they will wise up and initiate this w/o a mandate!!!!
    We do have a lot of people which ='s power on this site. Just saying!!!! :drinker:
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I went to Texas Roadhouse a few weeks ago and I asked if they had the nutritional info for their foods. I checked online and they do not have any nutritional info listed. When the waiter said they do not I just continued to eat because my meal wasnt that hard to track (sirloin/salad/green beans.) The GM came over like they always do and asked if everything was okay and I just asked if they had nutritional info and she said that they do not but she told me to check on a website called myfitnesspal.com and they have info listed. So my question is how the hell does MFP get this information when the GM of the store dosent even know?
  • Reverie09
    Reverie09 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree that all restaurants should have to have at least the calories posted. Sometimes picking the "healthier sounding" choice is not picking the lower calorie choice. I was pleasantly surprised when I went into chuck e cheese the other day and saw that they now have all the calories listed next to the menu item. Turns out I could eat quite a bit of pizza and it would still be less calories than their grilled chicken sandwich. I would never have guessed. If they hadn't had the calories posted I would have surely had the grilled chicken and been supremely p*ssed when I got home!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think it would be nice to have it available upon request, but to mandate that is ridiculous. When you go to a restaurant, you know what is healthy and what is not. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have the info online. Many people have internet on their phone. For those who do not--plan ahead or go with the salad. :)

I have to strongly disagree with you. I worked at a popular Italian restaurant for years and some of the options you think are "healthiest" are extremely high-calorie with sodium sky-high.

Maybe it would be "ridiculous" to mandate nutritional information if we were a nation of fit, slim, healthy people. But we are not. We are fat. So maybe providing some information, which in no way infringes upon any rights whatsoever, is a good start.
    It infringes on the rights of the business owner, and creates a burden on them. Nobody has to eat at a place that doesn't post the nutritional content. Let's let the business owners choose how they run their business, and the consumers choose who they patronize. The free market will always result in better products and service than any government mandate will. Yes, obesity is a problem in the United States, but it is not the government's responsibility to be our nanny. Remember, as we cede our rights to the government in the name of protecting us, we lose more of our liberties (as entrepreneurs and consumers). Time to take care of ourselves, and not depend on the government. Tell me... what has the government done well that private business doesn't do better? Health care for vets? The postal system? Yeesh...

In a nutshell... if you don't like that a place doesn't post their nutrition facts (which could be way off anyway, depending on who is cooking that night), don't patronize that business.

Do you have a problem with nutrional information being mandated on anything and almost everything you buy in the grocery store? Even imported products need that information. Going to a restaurant is not like going to someone's house for dinner. They want things to taste good, and they don't care if that means putting 2500 grams of sodium in a grilled salmon dinner (yes, that's from the restaurant I worked at) or 2200 calories in a single portion of spaghetti and meatballs.

I believe that consumers have a right to know what they are putting in their bodies, and that making some laws to provide basic nutritional information is not going to infringe upon what the restaurant can and can not do, it will just cost them some money to get the testing done.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I found that many places do not post their nutritional info online.. i did find a website that provides info on some restaurants that do not have it posted on their website..

http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp
  • tracivee
    Options
    EXACTLY! Not every problem needs to be fixed by our gov't. If you don't want to be fat, eat at home....and if you eat a meal at a restaurant that is 1000 calories, it's not going to make you fat or kill you. It's when you do that everyday that makes you fat. People need self control and personal responsibility, not hand holding.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think it would be nice to have it available upon request, but to mandate that is ridiculous. When you go to a restaurant, you know what is healthy and what is not. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have the info online. Many people have internet on their phone. For those who do not--plan ahead or go with the salad. :)

I agree to mandate it is a bit silly but, you do NOT always know what is healthy in a restaurant. I asked for nutritional info at chillis and some tings that seemed like they might be healthy were not or would have put me above my calories for the day. You never really know what goes into something even if it is only a salad. Also, sometimes you do not know what place you are going to, and I do not want to try to spend 10 minutes ignoring my company at the table to find nutritional info, RUDE.

I think restaurants should have it available on request. How hard is it to print out a few copies and have it on hand just to be prepared for the one person who did not look it up and has no smartphone. I went to one pale that had no info period and it was annoying really. I had to find something and make so many changes to it and still was not sure if it was OK.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think you're lucky that you have the info online at least. I'm in Ireland and I don't think there's ANY restaurant that has this info online, so going out for dinner is always a bit of a guessing game.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I went to Texas Roadhouse a few weeks ago and I asked if they had the nutritional info for their foods. I checked online and they do not have any nutritional info listed. When the waiter said they do not I just continued to eat because my meal wasnt that hard to track (sirloin/salad/green beans.) The GM came over like they always do and asked if everything was okay and I just asked if they had nutritional info and she said that they do not but she told me to check on a website called myfitnesspal.com and they have info listed. So my question is how the hell does MFP get this information when the GM of the store dosent even know?

I actually had it emailed to me from their corporate office several years ago when they first started opening locations in the Northeast. I'm sure someone else did the same thing and posted it online.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options

I disagree. With larger than life portions nowadays and a growing obesity epidemic, by posting nutritional information can potentially help someone who is unaware make better decisions. Also, you don't necessarily "know" what is healthy vs. not-Especially at a restaurant. One might see "grilled vegetables" listed on a menu, thinking it's a healthy option, but little do they know, the grilled veggies are grilled in a bunch of clarified butter. One can't always calorically judge a menu item based on the description.
    I COMPLETELY Agree with @Roselingcore!!! At Red Lobster last night I though the item I wanted would be safe....NOT! The waitress did bring me their Nutritional Info packet....I think she was tired of me asking how different items were prepared! I don't want something smothered in butter or fried. OH...and then there's the sodium!!!! YUCK! There are a few items I "can" eat there and they are delish! But it takes really good planning and lots of questions.....Glad I'm a good cook!
  • tracivee
    Options
    I also think they SHOULD have the info available upon request, but I don't think a law is needed to accomplish this, that's all. A good business owner will see a need for a consumer demand, and work to fill that demand if the cost to do so is worth it. After enough restaurants do it, the others will follow suit. If your favorite restaurant doesn't do it, then go somewhere else.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! Not every problem needs to be fixed by our gov't. If you don't want to be fat, eat at home....and if you eat a meal at a restaurant that is 1000 calories, it's not going to make you fat or kill you. It's when you do that everyday that makes you fat. People need self control and personal responsibility, not hand holding.

How do we know what we are eating at home is healthy?! From NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION that is MANDATED. It wasn't always that way. Is it hand-holding to be able to compare two different products or recipes and know what you will putting into your body? I don't understand how you guys see a difference between mandating that companies provide N.I. for groceries, but not once it's at a restaurant. What is the difference?

I have self-control and personal responsiblility. I will choose healthy food when I go out to eat. I just need to know what that is.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

I have to strongly disagree with you. I worked at a popular Italian restaurant for years and some of the options you think are "healthiest" are extremely high-calorie with sodium sky-high.

Maybe it would be "ridiculous" to mandate nutritional information if we were a nation of fit, slim, healthy people. But we are not. We are fat. So maybe providing some information, which in no way infringes upon any rights whatsoever, is a good start.
    It infringes on the rights of the business owner, and creates a burden on them. Nobody has to eat at a place that doesn't post the nutritional content. Let's let the business owners choose how they run their business, and the consumers choose who they patronize. The free market will always result in better products and service than any government mandate will. Yes, obesity is a problem in the United States, but it is not the government's responsibility to be our nanny. Remember, as we cede our rights to the government in the name of protecting us, we lose more of our liberties (as entrepreneurs and consumers). Time to take care of ourselves, and not depend on the government. Tell me... what has the government done well that private business doesn't do better? Health care for vets? The postal system? Yeesh...

In a nutshell... if you don't like that a place doesn't post their nutrition facts (which could be way off anyway, depending on who is cooking that night), don't patronize that business.

Do you have a problem with nutrional information being mandated on anything and almost everything you buy in the grocery store? Even imported products need that information. Going to a restaurant is not like going to someone's house for dinner. They want things to taste good, and they don't care if that means putting 2500 grams of sodium in a grilled salmon dinner (yes, that's from the restaurant I worked at) or 2200 calories in a single portion of spaghetti and meatballs.

I believe that consumers have a right to know what they are putting in their bodies, and that making some laws to provide basic nutritional information is not going to infringe upon what the restaurant can and can not do, it will just cost them some money to get the testing done.
    It could be quite a burden, on a small business especially. Imagine if every time the chef came up with something new, having to have it sent to a lab? Government imposes enough laws and taxes on business as is, and they only result in businesses closing or downsizing (loss of jobs). Plus, what happens if a chef decides to add twice the sodium? Will local TV station do an undercover expose and bust them? Texas Roadhouse doesn't post their nutrition facts for that very reason -- it is too variable, and could be inaccurate from one location to another. Leave it up to the business to post their nutrition or not.

Time for us all to be big kids and take care of ourselves. Every time we give gov't more power over our lives, we lose more of our liberty.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think it should be readily available on the menu, as consumers, we have a right to know what we are putting into our bodies. Why keep it from us? (because most wouldn't order it if they knew) I have even researched prior to eating at a restaurant only to discover the nutritional information is not available online either. Like another commenter posted, grilled veggies could be soaked in butter and I have run across 900 calorie salads before. I think forcing restaurants to do this would have been more beneficial than the 2 mill tax dollars our government spent drawing a picture of a plate with vegetables on it. McDonalds even provides the nutritional info on their paper placemats in the trays. Bottom line, if a place like McDonalds provides it, other restaurants have NO excuse.