Help needed! Lebanese Mezze

Options
nomorecakemate
nomorecakemate Posts: 16 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone!

I'm after some advice.

My work colleagues and I are going for our usual xmas lunch at a gorgeous Lebanese restaurant. We do this every year, I LOVE the food and struggle to say no to anything!

We have a mezze style meal with all dishes on the menu I've added below. I can find calorie content for most items listed, but I'm wondering overall what are the healthiest options for me to choose, as even the salad is laden with olive oil?! Are there any tips anyone could share when dining out like this?

I'm not going to restrict my calories massively on this day, as I think I should be allowed the odd meal out where I'm not obsessing over calories in every mouthful. But I would like to remain mindful about what I am eating, and if I can fill up on the slightly more healthy options, then I will eat less of the not so healthy!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Kayleigh

q19qhm21kv3z.jpg

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Rather than working out which dishes are "healthy", why don't you eat which dishes you want but have smaller portions? Don't miss out on enjoying a meal out for the sake of saving a few hundred calories.

Personally my plan is always similar for events/meals;
    - reduce calories slightly for a few days before to "bank" some additional calories
    - I do IF anyway so I just increase my fast window on the day
    - The day after, make the most of the extra calories with a good workout
    - I tend not to restrict myself at events/meals but don't go overboard on portions
  • nomorecakemate
    Options
    Thanks trigden, I have factored in two days of eating only around 1,000 calories beforehand and another day of eating 1,000 after, so I have a few extra to play with.

I think portion control will be my biggest struggle, as there is always so much food and it's so easy to just dive in and take more! I've been quite unwell of late and the thought of any exercise at the moment is draining, but I will have to see if I can manage just a little the next day!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks trigden, I have factored in two days of eating only around 1,000 calories beforehand and another day of eating 1,000 after, so I have a few extra to play with.

I think portion control will be my biggest struggle, as there is always so much food and it's so easy to just dive in and take more! I've been quite unwell of late and the thought of any exercise at the moment is draining, but I will have to see if I can manage just a little the next day!

If you've already planned lower calorie days then you don't need to exercise as well, especially if you are unwell.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    When it comes to meze what I usually do is not to have similar style dishes. Eg falafel and humus both have chickepea as a main ingredient so I'll pick one or the other. Then there are all the various cracked wheat style mezes so one of them. When it comes to the fried vegetable style ones I pick the aubergine option just because I prefer to.

But if your sharing platters then that's even better.
  • nomorecakemate
    Options
    That's a good idea fidangul, sticking with one of each similar dish instead of doubling up. Love that plan! Thanks :-)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    These are good ideas you have been given. I am popping in to say that olive oil on the salad isn't as bad for you as you might think. It's a lot of calories, but I find if I eat that first, the olive oil is dense enough to keep me from going overboard on the rest. And now I want stuffed grape leaves... Sigh