FOODS THAT KEEP YOU FULL

Options
I'm struggling to keep myself from the temptation to munch on foods and I'm currently experimenting on foods that keep me fulfilled throughout the day; I work in a large warehouse where activity is hectic and often strenuous and I have episodes when I just want to munch on something in between meals and my daily snack.

Any tips?

Replies

• dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in need of crunch. I sometimes eat carrots, bell peppers and celery with hummus for my afternoon snack. Also, make sure you are eating enough protein at lunchtime that way you will feel satisfied longer. At least it does for me. Hope this helps.
  • Samarisa
    Samarisa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs and a pinch of salt keep well when on the go and fill me up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't expect to feel full all the time. As long as you get in adequate nutrition (calories, macro- and micronutrients, water), you're fine. Dealing with temptation is related, but not the same. If you have set breaks, make it a habit to eat regular meals, and choose food you like but aren't prone to overeat. Balance your meals (focus on whole grains, vegs, fresh fruit, some protein (meat/fish/eggs), dairy) so that they satisfy your need for variety in taste and texture.
  • trumeta
    trumeta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In general, protein slows down digestion so I would definitely incorporate some type of protein in your meals,especially breakfast. In addition fiber helps to slow your digestion and slows the absorption of nutrients. This prevents high insulin spikes and hunger. So have insoluble fiber with your protein.

thats the problem with the American diet not enough fiber

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • GoHawaiian210
    GoHawaiian210 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    dia_nruf wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in need of crunch. I sometimes eat carrots, bell peppers and celery with hummus for my afternoon snack. Also, make sure you are eating enough protein at lunchtime that way you will feel satisfied longer. At least it does for me. Hope this helps.

I think you may have identified my root cause; I need to compare my Protein intakes from the last two weeks."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    db34fit69 wrote: »
    Here is a great tip to feel full during the day: dried apple rings! The cool thing about dried apple rings is that they are like sponges, they will soak up liquids in your digestive tract and EXPAND and actually make you feel FULLER as the day goes on!

This would derail my whole day. :smile:

For me: protein and fat, and fiber. So for me, the best snacks or foods have all three.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fat always keeps me the fullest. I'm not a huge fan of nuts but I'm always surprised at how long such a small serving of them will keep away the hunger
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    For me: protein and fat, and fiber. So for me, the best snacks or foods have all three.

I agree. protein fat and fiber.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    almonds
    peanut butter
    avocado

and whoever said hard-boiled eggs - yep
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's different for different people. For me, high protein tends to work best.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to keep myself from the temptation to munch on foods and I'm currently experimenting on foods that keep me fulfilled throughout the day

The question is why you want to munch.

For me, the better solution was kicking that desire (I used raw veg as a snack until I did).

You seem to have an active day, so I'd make sure you are filling in meals and snacks sufficient to meet your calorie needs (and I'd aim for balanced choices with protein, fat, and carbs for maximum satiety, although people vary some on what works for them). But just eating throughout the day often won't be satisfying/filling at all, regardles of what you eat, because the desire may just be to eat, not related to true hunger, and it's hard to really monitor how much you are eating if you eat this way.

If I just wanted to nibble throughout the day my priority would be lower cal crunchy things like, well, raw vegetables or maybe pickles or the like.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of dill pickles and SmartPop popcorn. Crunchy, salty, low-calorie. :)
  • ProteinMilkshakeBar
    ProteinMilkshakeBar Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Protein + Fat at breakfast keeps me feeling full all day long. Sometimes forget to eat lunch.

Easiest way for me is drinking a morning shake with 2 scoops protein + adding 2 tsp coconut oil. You won't be hungry for 4-6 hours.

I like to switch up my recipes based on the season so I still feel like I'm enjoying treats. This is what I'm drinking right now:

Mexican Wedding Cookie Shake

Nutrition Info

48g Protein • 9g Carbs • 9g Fat • 217 Calories

What you'll need:

• 2 scoops Protein Milkshake Cream Puff Protein Powder

• 1 cup nut milk

• 1/4 cup oatmeal

• 1 teaspoon pecans

• 1/2 cup ice

Blend & enjoy!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, zero calorie drinks and black coffee. It's surprisingly how full "zero" calories can make you feel.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Fats don't touch my hunger, but protein, fiber and starches really keep me full.. Nothing better for me than a good lean steak with a potato!

Also, I found having a small deficit largely beneficial. I can't do aggressive reductions in calories or crap hits the fan.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading OP wrong, apologies. It sounds less like hunger and more like needing something to chew on. Gum works for me. I can be satisfied with food - not hungry, no desire to eat - and still want to munch (I have an oral fixation, yes giggity :tongue: ).
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love celery with peanut butter. If I take it to work already prepped then it's really easy to grab, eat and go.