I gained?!

Options
I've been trying to change habits instead of dieting for "X" amount of time. As a big Coke drinker I have gone from a 20 oz a day to one a week. I am drinking water instead. I have almost kicked the habit all together! We are also a family who would eat out 2-4 times a week. We have gone to about 2 or three times in a month. I order the same as always.

I have gained 5-6 lbs in 2 months. Other than Thanksgiving, nothing else has changed about my diet or shopping habits. How do I drop such bad habits and gain weight?

Replies

• 1lsttyme
    1lsttyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not yet...I am concentrating on dealing with these bad habits and making changes first. However I have been the same weight for about a year.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My first thought is inconsistent logging. You may have dropped calories in one area and picked them up in another. It's easy to make high calorie food at home. Your diary is incomplete and the entries you have are by volume and not weight.

I would highly recommend getting a food scale, weighing everything, and diligently choose correct entries for logging. This will let you know where you are so you can determine how to get where you want.
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's great that you cut all that out but are you logging calories? It is likely that you are still consuming more calories then you burn. Were you gaining before? Was it a faster rate then 3 lbs/month?

Again, great changes you have made, and I don't want to minimize them, they just might not be enough for weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1lsttyme wrote: »
    Not yet...I am concentrating on dealing with these bad habits and making changes first. However I have been the same weight for about a year.

Yep, agree with @kami3006. It sounds like you cut calories from soda and added some from another food or beverage. Even without eating out as much, you can eat enough at home to result in weight gain.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on number of calories. While what you eat may have an influence on health and hunger, it is the number of calories which matter for weight loss.
  • 1lsttyme
    1lsttyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I am just now getting into logging. I guess I was just disappointed when I weighed to get my "start weight" that I had gained after making these changes.
  • kami3006
    Options
    1lsttyme wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. I am just now getting into logging. I guess I was just disappointed when I weighed to get my "start weight" that I had gained after making these changes.

It's disheartening to make changes and not see the results you wanted. I've been there as have probably the majority of folks on these boards. It's all part of the learning process.

Again though....food scale. You would be amazed how much different food portions are going from cups/tbsps to weights. It can make a profound difference. I think it's the number one best thing I ever did for myself.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Try logging honestly for a week, without changing anything else. you might be surprised as I was.

I would add to make sure you are logging accurately, and for that you need a food scale. Fist size, or guessing just doesn't work. See what you have been eating for a week or two and then take stock of things.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Try logging honestly for a week, without changing anything else. you might be surprised as I was.

I would add to make sure you are logging accurately, and for that you need a food scale. Fist size, or guessing just doesn't work. See what you have been eating for a week or two and then take stock of things.
    So true. I almost cried when I saw what an ounce of my favorite cheese really looked like lol.

Yes, I remember exactly where I was standing the first time I weighted peanut butter. :s
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

So true. I almost cried when I saw what an ounce of my favorite cheese really looked like lol.

Yes, I remember exactly where I was standing the first time I weighted peanut butter. :s

Ah you got me laughing! That was another one. no more .5" thick PB&JS lol!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

The kitchen, right? :wink:

I was in the living room on my laptop when I found out how many calories are in my favorite restaurant meal. It was a sad day.

It's like a "where were you when John Lennon died" type of thing.
  • kami3006
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I was in the living room on my laptop when I found out how many calories are in my favorite restaurant meal. It was a sad day.

Heh! Oh you!

Actually, I mean literally what counter, which way I was facing, and where I banged my head on the counter top out of frustration.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Does someone have a link to the comparison video of scale vs no scale? My google-fu is weak today.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Does someone have a link to the comparison video of scale vs no scale? My google-fu is weak today.

I have the older one. I was just looking for the better one though.

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Heh! Oh you!

Actually, I mean literally what counter, which way I was facing, and where I banged my head on the counter top out of frustration.

Both peanut butter and cheese were my big disappointments as well. I didn't have the same head smashing reaction, but it was a sinking feeling. Followed by "wow, that's so little." And then this face :anguished: