I gained?!

Options
2»

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Does someone have a link to the comparison video of scale vs no scale? My google-fu is weak today.

Three options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

Thanks Dianne. I usually keep the links I like in my profile but I keep forgetting to add those other two. Gonna do that now.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Does someone have a link to the comparison video of scale vs no scale? My google-fu is weak today.

Three options:

It's been a year for me and that still kind of blows my mind...

The thing with me too is I never considered the cumulative effects of all the "little" stuff, like that extra two spoons of mayo in the tuna, or the extra 3 bites of lasagna while on the way to the sink with my empty plate. That adds up to a whole lot over the course of a week.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It was the middle one that I was thinking of. Have to watch the other two.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Three options:

These are great.

OP, watch the videos, do some reading. You've already made some challenging changes, which is awesome. Getting the calories under control is the next step.
  • kami3006
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Try logging honestly for a week, without changing anything else. you might be surprised as I was.

I would add to make sure you are logging accurately, and for that you need a food scale. Fist size, or guessing just doesn't work. See what you have been eating for a week or two and then take stock of things.
    So true. I almost cried when I saw what an ounce of my favorite cheese really looked like lol.

Yes, I remember exactly where I was standing the first time I weighted peanut butter. :s

The kitchen, right? :wink:

I was in the living room on my laptop when I found out how many calories are in my favorite restaurant meal. It was a sad day.

It's like a "where were you when John Lennon died" type of thing.

Heh! Oh you!

Actually, I mean literally what counter, which way I was facing, and where I banged my head on the counter top out of frustration.

Both peanut butter and cheese were my big disappointments as well. I didn't have the same head smashing reaction, but it was a sinking feeling. Followed by "wow, that's so little." And then this face :anguished:

I got revenge on my mean scale when I bulked though. 36g of Peanut butter be damned..."Watch this oh cranky scale...boom".
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Did you substitute something else for the soda? Are you drinking juice, or wine or beer?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Try logging honestly for a week, without changing anything else. you might be surprised as I was.

I would add to make sure you are logging accurately, and for that you need a food scale. Fist size, or guessing just doesn't work. See what you have been eating for a week or two and then take stock of things.
    So true. I almost cried when I saw what an ounce of my favorite cheese really looked like lol.

Yes, I remember exactly where I was standing the first time I weighted peanut butter. :s

I was in the living room on my laptop when I found out how many calories are in my favorite restaurant meal. It was a sad day.

it was a Sunny Saturday Morning, I had drove into my hometown to visit my mother, where we planned to commence in a day of brunch, and some shopping. I pulled into the steak and shake, knowing my mother enjoys that place, as do I. It was a special day, that day with mom, so I ordered the gravy biscuits, thinking they cant be THAT bad. What, 500 calories or so, cause those biscuits, man, they're small!

Yeah, 1069 calories. For Breakfast.

I knew I shoulda got the pancakes.

Sounds like a lovely day with your mother, and a lesson to boot. A sad lesson, but a lesson, non-the-less.

Why are the least calorific meals in restaurants more expensive?
  • 1lsttyme
    1lsttyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    WOW! The videos are eye opening! I have a scale and will be using it! My 4 oz of chicken at lunch looks kind of sad.
  • kami3006
    Options

it was a Sunny Saturday Morning, I had drove into my hometown to visit my mother, where we planned to commence in a day of brunch, and some shopping. I pulled into the steak and shake, knowing my mother enjoys that place, as do I. It was a special day, that day with mom, so I ordered the gravy biscuits, thinking they cant be THAT bad. What, 500 calories or so, cause those biscuits, man, they're small!

Sounds like a lovely day with your mother, and a lesson to boot. A sad lesson, but a lesson, non-the-less.

I'm not sure if a whole thread of these stories would be hilarious or just sad. I guess a bit of both.

• kami3006
    Options
    1lsttyme wrote: »
    WOW! The videos are eye opening! I have a scale and will be using it! My 4 oz of chicken at lunch looks kind of sad.

It's one big learning curve. Use that scale for everything. Let us know how you're doing. :)
  • kami3006
    edited December 2016
    Options

tumblr_mkwxnoGEFq1qdm9llo1_500.gif

I'm done spamming the OP's thread now....I hope
  • 1lsttyme
    1lsttyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Did you substitute something else for the soda? Are you drinking juice, or wine or beer?

I drink water.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I dunno, but it's sad to know I could get that biscuit meal for like 5 bucks, whereas if I got some kinda multigrain bagel with a protein and some fresh fruit, i'd be dolling out twice as much.

Sometimes, we just gotta take the hit, I suppose.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I am just now getting into logging. I guess I was just disappointed when I weighed to get my "start weight" that I had gained after making these changes.

Weight loss isn't about the type of food you eat or don't eat, it's all about calories. Weigh all solid and semi solid food n a digital food scale, measure all liquids with calories and switch to Coke Zero
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I dunno, but it's sad to know I could get that biscuit meal for like 5 bucks, whereas if I got some kinda multigrain bagel with a protein and some fresh fruit, i'd be dolling out twice as much.

Sometimes, we just gotta take the hit, I suppose.

That's one thing I have to watch .. eating with my wallet .. buffets are bad .. gotta get my money's worth

Good luck
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if a whole thread of these stories would be hilarious or just sad. I guess a bit of both.

I started a thread. So we can quit hijacking OP.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10488156/accidental-calorie-bombs/p1?new=1
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Sorry, it sucks. On the plus side, it will keep you moving forward.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    OP I think once you start weighing and logging everything you eat, you'll start to see the weight come off. One big mistake people make is thinking that just cutting back on a few high calorie habits will cause weight loss. Sometimes it does cause some water weight loss, but most of the time, weight will still not budge. This is always because of taking in too many calories still. As soon as you start to monitor your calories in, you'll be able to stay under your goal and you'll see change. The food scale was a game changer for me.