I Need Your Advice! Please? :) (Re: Plateau)

Options
I've been stuck at the same weight for two weeks. 188.6. I don't know what my body loves about that number but it won't let go.

I've weighed as low as 186.6 (on July 2nd). That leads me to believe that the extra two lbs. are water retention, as I can't have magically put two lbs. of fat back on overnight. But I don't know how to get rid of the excess water and start losing fat again.

I've been within my calorie goals. I've tried eating less. I've tried eating more. I've tried zig-zagging and working out. My water intake and nutrition is good. TOM ended on July 7th. So I don't know what's going on.

I've lost about 48 lbs. since January (if you go by my lowest of 186.6). I have 52 lbs. to go from there. I am ready to reach my 50-lb. halfway point but it's being SO illusive!

Additional information:

- I'm enlisting in the military so the weight is what matters, as I must meet maximum weigh standards. Additionally, I don't have time to "just wait it out" as there are age limits for the branches I'm interested in and I'm approaching those.

- I used to take Green Tea Fat Burner (EGCG) capsules in the beginning (first 35 lbs. that came off quickly) but have since stopped. I am considering starting them again as EGCG is proven to increase metabolism.

- I don't work out regularly. I am trying to incorporate 30 minutes of bike riding into my mornings. It's been a struggle, as I'm very busy prepping for a big move in 7 weeks and I work A LOT. But I am open to suggestions and will make more time for it if I need to. Notes: I do not have room to work out at home indoors (my place is VERY small) and I live in Arizona (it's extremely hot outdoors between 7am and 10pm). I will not be getting a gym membership.

THANK YOU for any and all help and suggestions!!!

:flowerforyou:

EDITED TO ADD: I eat my exercise calories. I limit sugars, including fruit. I get protein mainly from boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked in a slow-cooker with no oils or added fats. I measure, as well and have not lost inches in the last two weeks. My net, per MFP is 1200.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    1. You need to find out what your caloric maintenance is everyday. There are formulas that are out there on websites that will give you an estimate. Also there are straps you can wear around your arm that are very accurate like the Bodymedia FIT or the Bodybugg.

2. Once you find out what your maintenance is everyday, then you should be eating a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories of that maintenance. This will let you lose 1-2 lbs each week.

3. Exercise is highly recommended but not needed. Your diet is #1 priority.

4. I did mention that DIET IS #1 PRIORITY. I don't care how long you bike ride, how long you run outside in 100 degree heat and sweat. If your DIET is NOT in order, you will not lose weight.

5. Make sure you are getting your minimum macronutrients every single day.

6. Drink plenty of water. Take a GOOD multivitamin and fish oil per day.

7. Do NOT get frustrated. Everyone is different however it's a matter of calories in vs calories out. You might plateau for 2-3 weeks and not lose any weight, then one day you will lose 5 lbs overnight. It happens. Your body goes through mood swings.

Any other questions?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Whats your sodium intake at? you didnt cover that. And if you suspect its water weight sodium is a HUGE culprit you need some for normal cell function but extra makes you retain
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Read the link in my signature... "HOW TO BUST THROUGH A PLATEAU" the writer is AMAZING and really breaks down what you are doing and what you are doing wrong.
  • cculb524
    cculb524 Posts: 10
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was working out at Curves and following there plan. When I hit a plateau I would have to increase my calories by 200-300 for at least 2 weeks and then drop it back down. I know you said you've tried to increase and decrease your calories, but it needs to be for a pretty good length of time. I would also continue to change up your workout routine as much as possible. Good luck!!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    Also, can you open your diary so we can look at your food choices. I dont want to start the debate here based off of type of calories as long as youre within calories. But certain food choices do make you bloat, reatin fluids, or are simply heavier. When are you weighing yourself?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    1. You need to find out what your caloric maintenance is everyday. There are formulas that are out there on websites that will give you an estimate. Also there are straps you can wear around your arm that are very accurate like the Bodymedia FIT or the Bodybugg.

*** Maintenance is 1920. My deficit is 720 calories/day equaling 1.4 lbs. per week. Rather...that's what it SHOULD be equaling.

2. Once you find out what your maintenance is everyday, then you should be eating a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories of that maintenance. This will let you lose 1-2 lbs each week.

*** Done that.

3. Exercise is highly recommended but not needed. Your diet is #1 priority.

*** That's what I've been prioritizing.

4. I did mention that DIET IS #1 PRIORITY. I don't care how long you bike ride, how long you run outside in 100 degree heat and sweat. If your DIET is NOT in order, you will not lose weight.

*** Right.

5. Make sure you are getting your minimum macronutrients every single day.

*** I am. My diary is open if you'd like to take a look.

6. Drink plenty of water. Take a GOOD multivitamin and fish oil per day.

** I drink 8-16 cups of water per day and take a multivitamin intermittently. They greatly upset my stomach, even when taken with food. I will pick up fish oil capsules. Thank you.

7. Do NOT get frustrated. Everyone is different however it's a matter of calories in vs calories out. You might plateau for 2-3 weeks and not lose any weight, then one day you will lose 5 lbs overnight. It happens. Your body goes through mood swings.

*** I've had a three week plateau before when I was doing everything right. So, I know this will happen from time to time. Unfortunately, I'm limited on time so I just figured I'd check the community for suggestions.

Any other questions?

*** Thanks for taking the time.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump. Im in the same boat. Ive been stuck at 152-153 for almost a month now. Ive dont the things you said and still nothing. Ugh!
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    I plateaued for almost 6 weeks! I think our bodies just have to adjust to the weighloss. Once I started loosing weight again, the lbs just feel off.

Don't worry too much, stay on course, don't get discouraged, it will pass.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Please note:

As much as I absolutely love MFP to track my foods and their calories, it is an absolute disgrace for giving you what your caloric maintenance is. This is something you need to find out for yourself.

1. Either use a proven formula that is located online at different sites.

2. Eat normally for 2-3 weeks while tracking your calories EVERY day and checking your weight ONCE a week on an empty stomach to see what your maintenance is.

3. Buy a Bodymedia FIT or Bodybugg and have it track it for you. 90-93% accurate.

Trust me, you burn more calories than you probably realize.

Edit: Just read your response. Your very welcome. Your plateau'd and it will pass. Keep doing what your doing. If you are stuck at a certain weight for more than 4 weeks, drop your calorie intake by 250 calories and see if you lose weight the next 1-2 weeks.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Read the link in my signature... "HOW TO BUST THROUGH A PLATEAU" the writer is AMAZING and really breaks down what you are doing and what you are doing wrong.

Sodium is good most days. Under 2300.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was working out at Curves and following there plan. When I hit a plateau I would have to increase my calories by 200-300 for at least 2 weeks and then drop it back down. I know you said you've tried to increase and decrease your calories, but it needs to be for a pretty good length of time. I would also continue to change up your workout routine as much as possible. Good luck!!!

Thank you.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Thank you.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Also, can you open your diary so we can look at your food choices. I dont want to start the debate here based off of type of calories as long as youre within calories. But certain food choices do make you bloat, reatin fluids, or are simply heavier. When are you weighing yourself?

It's open.

I weigh daily in the morning after peeing but before eating/drinking. I log my weight daily on a graph. But I only log my lowests here on MFP.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options

even though FDA recommends 2500 in the average diet youll be amazed at how wuickly you shed excess water weight if you can get it down to 1000-1500
  • McKayMachina
    Options

even though FDA recommends 2500 in the average diet youll be amazed at how wuickly you shed excess water weight if you can get it down to 1000-1500

Thank you. I will try that.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Try eating more protein and veggies and less carbs. I went through the last week on your diary and you don't hit your protein..

Good luck.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    You're right. Thank you. I will.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    More protein really helped me :)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have good and bad news.

The good news is that we all reach that plateau at some point.... eventually.... it happens. How is that good. Well, you're not alone.

The bad news is, that you need to be prepared to be 'stuck' for a little while. Your body is calibrating and adapting... it is trying to gain the weight back.... it is fighting you....resisting you.....but if you hang in there, this too shall pass and you will lose more weight.

DON'T.GIVE.UP!

I don't have a formula or pill or diet or magic exercise except to advise to resolve that you will not give up because you've not lost weight in a couple of weeks. Keep track of your NSV. Keep your measurements.... the scale will catch up.

I was stuck between 132 and 134 for almost 2 months, so I know it is frustrating but I also know that it passes if you don't suspend your healthy lifestyle.

I am sure you will have a lot of more practical suggestions and you should adopt the best ones.

All the best.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Rikki444: Thanks a bunch! :)