Keto Starter

Options
Hey Guys!

I'm Gabriel married age 34 from Phoenix Arizona. I just started on ketogenics 2 weeks ago. So far I lost 5.4lbs and plan on keeping it going! My plan is to lose 50lbs but I need support and maybe some recipes to help stay focused! Befriend me and let's do this!

See ya around!
G

Replies

• loGIJane
    loGIJane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've just started too.. friend request sent ..let's go!
  • jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been mentally preparing to start but it's been a struggle getting started. I wanted to do Keto while I am intermittent fasting.
  • iamkalyank
    iamkalyank Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting too, send me request
  • trinidarkie1981
    trinidarkie1981 Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've tried the Ketogenic diet. Was able to stick to it for 6 weeks and lost 17.6 lbs. I've read a lot of books and done a lot of research and my body seems to love that way of eating. The only issue is I live in the Caribbean and it's a costly as a lot of the items needed are imported from the US and are not easily accessible e.g. pork rinds are $35 for a small pack and I have to hunt far and wide for it.
    I'd recommend Keto for anyone whether they're looking to lose weight or not. It's super beneficial for diabetics too. My plan is to start back right after the Christmas as I'm pretty OCD and in order to track my macros accurately I weigh and log every single thing I eat as my carb tolerance is low (below 30 grams a day) and anything over throws me out of ketosis.
  • trinidarkie1981
    trinidarkie1981 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jbb86 wrote: »
    I have been mentally preparing to start but it's been a struggle getting started. I wanted to do Keto while I am intermittent fasting.

Hi jbb86, I hope you don't mind me offering a suggestion; what I would say is get your body into a state of ketosis first for at least 3 weeks. Keto naturally suppresses your appetite and doing IF would be a lot easier for you. For myself, I find that trying to do too many things at once overwhelms me and I get frustrated and give up. I hope this helps. Best of luck on your journey and if you have any questions I'm willing to help however best I can :smile:
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I (mostly) do keto and have recently had some success at it. I love to cook and would love to swap recipes!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum here in MFP. It's where most of us Keophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • gstatpro
    gstatpro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Have to jump off Keto full on at least for now. I was in the hospital treating gallstones because of a high fat diet is what I was told. High fiber is important to fatty foods apparently. For now I will try low carb but not full on Keto till I figure out this gallstones issue!
  • kwwall09
    kwwall09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's not from the high fat necessarily...it's from the body not being used to you eating the fat and the gallbladder has sat there hardly putting out any bile to breakdown fat. We've all been accustomed to low fat diet for so long that our gallbladder's bile concentrates and crystallizes/hardens from lack of use. Hence the gall stones. And that info came from my surgeon. Most doctors try to discourage the keto lifestyle but science and labs don't lie. Had gallbladder removed in 2014 when I gave paleo a try and had a gallstone block my common bile duct. I am currently living a full on keto lifestyle without any problems from not having a gallbladder.