Did the Depo Provera injection greatly increase your appetite?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

I know the Depo injection itself doesn't cause weight gain, but I've heard it drastically increases your appetite and can make you ravenous. I've been taking the Depo Provera injection for about 2.5-3 years. I've never really ate healthy or tried to lose until 2 years ago, so I'm honestly not sure how much it affected my appetite. I've always had a huge appetite and I can eat huge amounts. But since I've started eating healthier and tried to lose weight a few years ago, my stomach is like a black hole. I always try to eat nutrition and well balanced meals, but I'm constantly hungry and never that full. I also make sure to drink plenty of water. It feels like something is wrong with me and that I shouldn't possibly be hungry after eating so much food. I'm not sure if it's the depo injection causing this or that I just have a bigger appetite which would be a bit weird since I think it would get a bit smaller after eating smaller portions for so long.

I eat around 1,400-1,500 calories per day which is good for my stats (Female, 5'4, 24 years old) and I use a food scale. Unfortunately I ended up gaining a lot of weight back that I lost since I can over eat easily due to always being hungry. I was completely devastated that I allowed myself to gain so much weight back. Even worse is all of my dedication and hard work was for nothing. But I'm trying to move forward and stay positive although it's difficult not to beat myself up for my mistakes. I'm hoping by going off the Depo injection, I will be a lot less hungry and I can control my appetite better. Has anyone else been extremely ravenous and always hungry while on the depo shot? If so, how long did it take for you to go back to normal when you stopped it? What have your experiences been on it. My next injection is coming up in a week and a half and I'm considering maybe switching to Birth control pills. Does anyone know if the birth control pills also increase appetite long term while on it or is it just the first few weeks while your body is adjusting to it?

Replies

• hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've personally never had any problems with the depo shot. It's never hindered my ability to lose weight or made me hungrier. Everyone reacts differently though I guess
  • Baxie23
    Baxie23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 3 years and I was hungry all the time. I was a bottomless pit and honestly I didn't even really realize it until I had put on 40lbs. In September I switched to Mirena IUD. It has made a humungous difference. I am able to eat 1400 cals/day and feel full. I have lost 24lbs since switching. My body adjusted pretty quickly to going off depo. I would say that within 3 weeks I was no longer starving all the time and I felt full with my reduced calories.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I had no issues when I was on it.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I did depo as a teenager and never had any hunger issues. I'm curious what country you are in, because my doctor here in the U.S. stopped offering the depo shot because it has been shown to cause bone loss. That alone may be a good reason to switch to something else.
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Depo is the reason I gained 140 pounds in the 2 years that I was on it. Well, not just deli, it was my poor choices but not only did it effect my appetite but it messed up my hormones to the point where I did not process fat correctly.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Baxie23 wrote: »
    I was on depo for 3 years and I was hungry all the time. I was a bottomless pit and honestly I didn't even really realize it until I had put on 40lbs. In September I switched to Mirena IUD. It has made a humungous difference. I am able to eat 1400 cals/day and feel full. I have lost 24lbs since switching. My body adjusted pretty quickly to going off depo. I would say that within 3 weeks I was no longer starving all the time and I felt full with my reduced calories.

Wow, exactly the same situation as me!! :) It's horrible when your never satisfied and filling like a bottomless pit. I'm really happy to hear that the depo shot went out of your body quickly and you weren't ravenous after only 3 weeks! That's great to hear :) Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • jenniator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I did depo as a teenager and never had any hunger issues. I'm curious what country you are in, because my doctor here in the U.S. stopped offering the depo shot because it has been shown to cause bone loss. That alone may be a good reason to switch to something else.

Oh wow that's pretty weird! I heard about the depo shot causing bone loss, so that's why they advise you to take calcium tablets as well. I'm originally from the U.S. and that's where I first started taking the Depo shot. I never any problems or warnings about getting it though. I just asked about getting it and I was able to get it right then. I also know a lot of people that were on it as well there. I'm now in the Netherlands and I've also had no problems or warnings getting it here.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    was on it for 5 years no problems with it
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I gained 75lbs while on it and it COMPLETELY killed my sex drive. I would go from desiring sex at least once a day to not at all.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I never had any problems while taking it and took it for 8yrs give or take. Birth control can certainly effect your appetite though so try switching and see what happens.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I also took it in the past and it caused absolutely no issue. I just chose to move to something different due to money and convenience.

• bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Depo can cause some weight gain. Its part of the counseling when prescribing it. There is also some fluid retention.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I used it briefly years ago. It had no effect on my appetite, but it completely destroyed my sex drive.
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 6 years I haven't seen much difference. I know at the beginning I did eat a lot. But not it's just my emotional eating.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Killed my sex drive and I've gained 10 pounds :( my boyfriend said at his highschool when he was younger they called it the "depopotamus". Mine should wear off soon and im so ready.
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    Killed my sex drive and I've gained 10 pounds :( my boyfriend said at his highschool when he was younger they called it the "depopotamus". Mine should wear off soon and im so ready.

Same here....and bad fluid retention, i never had that before, was only on it for one shot....
  • kelliwalden19
    kelliwalden19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi i had my daughter in january. After having her i was losing weight like crazy, i was told because i was nursing. After a couple months i stopped losing and seem to be staying the same weight. I was going to get the iud but changed my mind at the last minute and got the depo shot in may. Since then i have gained 14 lbs after just 1 shot. My stomach stays bloated. Im getting my 2nd shot today and just dont know what to do. I dont feel like i eat that bad to gain that amount of weight in 3 months after losing and feeling so good after giving birth. Any suggestions for me as what i should do? Should i get iud? Should i try to just lose weight while on depo?