Seriously Addicted to Sugar!

Options
I've been addicted to sugar my whole life and I'm 28 years old now. I've tried giving it up many times in my life and just go back to it. Im 5'8.5 and have never weighed more than 210 lbs. I currently weigh 199 lbs and jump back and forth from 193 - 199.

I need advice on how to kick sugar to the curb for good!! I eat so much that I'm scared I'm eating myself to death! I need help but don't know where to go.

Replies

• TheDJTC
    TheDJTC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For a fortnight, I tried to drink as little sugar as possible by drinking sparkling water instead. I also exercised rather rigorously, walking a mile a day, doing squats, push-ups, etcetera. I lost somewhere between 20-30lbs I kinda forget.

Though I was closing in on 300lbs, so aunno if that's exactly the same situation.

In any case, if you're worried about getting diabetes like I was, try sparkling water instead of soda water... also exercise. Like I've only known a few people that really got in shape by just dieting.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What foods are you overeating? I'm guessing it's sweets - basic "junk" foods - which are made to be tasty and not 100% sugar (usually half fat half carbs).
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    manther88 wrote: »
    I've been addicted to sugar my whole life and I'm 28 years old now. I've tried giving it up many times in my life and just go back to it. Im 5'8.5 and have never weighed more than 210 lbs. I currently weigh 199 lbs and jump back and forth from 193 - 199.

I need advice on how to kick sugar to the curb for good!! I eat so much that I'm scared I'm eating myself to death! I need help but don't know where to go.

People who have never had addiction problems will never understand.

When I quit, my body freaks out until day 3, then I am in the clear. As much as I have tried moderation, it eventually doesnt work. I have shortened my peaks so things dont get out of control with my weight, and then I deal with the 3 day cut off.

People, clinics, etc say L-glutamine helps with sugar cravings. I am not so sure but it has other benefits as well.

You are going to have to figure out yourself. Here is how I do it (not right or wrong) I quit drinking in 1994 and because of the downside and serious of alcohol dependence (with family history), I dont test it again. With sugar, the downside isnt that bad so I indulge ... not to binge, but its only a matter of time before I need dessert after every meal and then I am eating 2 pints of ice cream at night every night until I break free. If this sugar issue has done anything for me beyond simple enjoyment, its served as an awesome suggestion to continue not drinking.

Good luck
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    manther88 wrote: »

Try Stevia. I started using it in place of sugar for the most part in coffee. It helped a bunch. I didn't eliminate sugar, because I didn't have to, I just wanted to reduce the calories I was consuming from sugar. So if I have a choice now I choose 'no sugar added' versions of foods, or sugar free drinks. Beyond that I still use it in some things, and I'll eat Christmas candy, drink egg nog, you name it. If you don't have diabetes or aren't pre-diabetic, then simply cutting down may be what you need/want. Otherwise no need to deny yourself every little pleasure. Losing weight is as simple as eating less calories than you expend. Try choosing lighter or less sweet options whenever possible, log it all, and eat at a deficit to lose your weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    The issue is you like the TASTE. Hence you likely buy foods that have sugar in them. Try first reducing the amount and work on adding more whole foods to your diet. And of course watch your calorie intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options