Weight gain after a colonoscopy

Options
I had a colonoscopy done yesterday and had to start prepping for it 3 days ahead of time. Friday I started a restricted diet, Sunday clear liquids only, and yesterday I didn't eat anything until after the procedure and that was a small dinner. On Sunday the day before the procedure I had to drink a gallon of Gavilyte which is a laxative and take 2 Dulcolax. I thought being this cleaned out and not eating very much I would have lost weight. But I've gained 4.5 pounds in the last 3 days. How is this even possible? Everything I've read people posted about losing weight. Am I the only one this has happened to?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    Maybe the Dr. left the scope inside. They weigh around five pounds.

Lol but not possible ;)
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    1. 4.5 pounds is in the normal range of weight fluctuations anyway.
    2. If you lost any weight with the restrictive diet, it was water weight. It probably just came back when you started eating normally again.

4.5lbs a normal weight fluctuation?? Really? Adding 2 kg is quite a lot. No idea how that has happened unless your body went into some kind of shock and clung on to every bit of fat it could. Were you eating heavy before a few days ago?

Well colonoscopy prep severely dehydrates you so it's not unusual to retain fluid afterwards nothing to do with clinging onto every bit of fat.

So where does a 4.5lbs increase come from?

Drinking/eating after the scope.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You were on a restricted diet and you went under sedation/anesthesia for an invasive scope. It's going to take a few days for your body to get back to normal.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Relax - and great job taking care of your health. :) It'' all dissipate in a day or two.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    You were on a restricted diet and you went under sedation/anesthesia for an invasive scope. It's going to take a few days for your body to get back to normal.

That sedation is the best nap you'll ever have. It's the only saving grace to the whole thing.

So true! I was actually excited for my last scope because I knew I was going to take a much needed nap lol.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    It's awesome but finding out your inflammation/ ulceration is getting better and that your polyps aren't cancerous is worth it ;) or finding out it is worse so they can take steps to fix it is also a good thing
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You lost 4.5lbs of waste and water from the laxative. Since then you've eaten normally and returned to normal.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    totally normal with anesthesia and lots of fluids. Give it 3-4 days.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I go in Thursday for my first colonoscopy. I think I'll skip weighing myself on Friday. :) I thought the one benefit would be losing some weight with the liquid diet, but maybe not.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    It's awesome but finding out your inflammation/ ulceration is getting better and that your polyps aren't cancerous is worth it ;) or finding out it is worse so they can take steps to fix it is also a good thing

True. It's just that the prep induces a nightmarish migraine for me (fasting states are usually not good for migraineurs) so it's not something that's an easy ride for me.

I was on the frequent colonoscopy schedule because I had precancerous polyps, so the whole thing was a nightmare. Thankfully, my last colonoscopy finally came back free of anything. I'm down to every five years like a normal person now.

Oh I don't enjoy them as I hate hate prep and prep seems to trigger Crohn's symptoms as it seriously effects your gut flora but I understand the need for them lol. I'm on an every year schedule but my GI just ordered a faecal calprotectin test so hopefully that means no colonoscopy in 2017!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    The prep stuff is high in sodium, which could cause fluid retention. You did not gain fat in those pounds, you gained water weight.