Meal replacement shakes

Options
Hello all!

I'll get to the short of it for those who don't want to read my life story- what is your favorite meal replacement shake- preferably nondairy or lactose free?

For those who want to read a bit more: it's become quite clear to me I need to look into meal replacement shakes for my lunches. I used to drink a slim fast shake for lunch every day in high school and college (mostly due the laziness) but its been a while. I realize it's not idea and real food is better etc etc but it's becoming clear this is the best option for me right now. I work out of my car all day so I need meals that can travel easily and don't need to be reheated and I can only eat so many variation of quinoa salad before I'm bored. I also start work pretty early so meals that require making the night before/in the morning just don't happen, despite my best intention. So meal replacement shakes it is.

I was looking at both IdealShake and the Vega One powders but I'm not sure? I'd like something non dairy or at least lactose free since dairy and I are not always friends. Anyone got a shake they love? Not really interested in Shakeology, since it's a bit on the pricey side.

Thanks!

Replies

• my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Phood vanilla is delicious!!
  • watb108
    watb108 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like Herbalife formula 1 :)
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Idealshape! So tasty!
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    watb108 wrote: »
    I've been drinking them for about a year and a half, still not sick of them. Cafe late is my fav, also the newish 24 chocolate with some pb2 is amaizing
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    dajoloehr wrote: »
    watb108 wrote: »
    I've been drinking them for about a year and a half, still not sick of them. Cafe late is my fav, also the newish 24 chocolate with some pb2 is amaizing

I'll look into them. I was kind of soured to HerbaLife when I heard about their shady practices with their distributors. Kind of turned me off on them for ethical reasons
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's a pyramid scheme for sure, like all those types of company's, but I like the way they taste and they helped me lose weight, so I've stuck with them. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but I'm going to stick to what works for me
  • brianjmoran
    brianjmoran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Oh Yeah! Cookies and Cream RTD shakes (32g of protein) as well as the Labrada Lean Body RTD Cookies and Cream shakes (40g of protein). Pretty much anything cookies and cream is my favorite flavor, but both of those brands are the best RTD that I personally have tasted.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soylent is the best I have tried, vegan and complete nutrition at a lower cost than others I have seen. Low glycemic index value as well.
  • Shayals90
    Shayals90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking Thermowhey on and off for a while, it is a pretty good option protein shake that can be used as meal replacement. Leaves me feeling full for hours and very low cal.
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you want something that's not a dairy, there are things out there. They are like candy bars & right now my mind
    has gone blank. I have ongoing altzheier's. I wish I could think of it. The question I really wanted to ask someone is if you miss a meal, will that cause you to gain weight? Linda!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Pick a whey protein powder (reviews/analysis can be read here), add some liquid, some fruit and/or veggies, blend, and put in a cooler. This way, you can control Calorie and macro content, while experimenting with different flavors that you might like.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Loved Vega One powders, I've tried whey ones before and really not a fan of them, I could barely stomach them in a smoothie let alone on their own with water/milk. The Vega One ones were the first powders I've tried that I could actually drink outside of a smoothie, I preferred them in milk, but water would be find, or I'm sure almond or soy milk would be good too!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Shamrock Shake. Pity they're not available year round.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not really a meal replacement shake, but I like making smoothies for breakfast and occasionally have had one for lunch or dinner instead, if time crunched or if I get home extra late. I use protein powder (sometimes the Vega, which is plant-based -- I don't like it as well as my favorite whey ones on its own, but with the other ingredients it is fine), homemade nut milk, yogurt (but this is not needed), frozen berries, lots of vegetables (usually roasted winter squash, green pepper, and spinach lately, but it varies).

If not interested in something like that, I'd maybe check out Soylent 2.0. I was curious and bought a few and use them occasionally if I need something completely on the run. It has a neutral taste.
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'll get to the short of it for those who don't want to read my life story- what is your favorite meal replacement shake- preferably nondairy or lactose free?

For those who want to read a bit more: it's become quite clear to me I need to look into meal replacement shakes for my lunches. I used to drink a slim fast shake for lunch every day in high school and college (mostly due the laziness) but its been a while. I realize it's not idea and real food is better etc etc but it's becoming clear this is the best option for me right now. I work out of my car all day so I need meals that can travel easily and don't need to be reheated and I can only eat so many variation of quinoa salad before I'm bored. I also start work pretty early so meals that require making the night before/in the morning just don't happen, despite my best intention. So meal replacement shakes it is.

I was looking at both IdealShake and the Vega One powders but I'm not sure? I'd like something non dairy or at least lactose free since dairy and I are not always friends. Anyone got a shake they love? Not really interested in Shakeology, since it's a bit on the pricey side.

Thanks!

Costco makes Orgain which is the BEST vegan protein powder I have tried. It comes in chocolate fudge and vanilla flavors. It's 100% organic and has no soy as well for all you dudes. Seriously. Get it.

I'm currently replacing two meals a day with smoothies in the weird limbo between holidays, so I'm trying to stay interested with just chocolate and vanilla in my kitchen right now. Here are my two favorite recipes ATM. (Can you tell I have a wicked sweet tooth?)

REESE'S CUP SMOOTHIE
    Chocolate protein powder (Orgain)
    2 tbsp. "PB2" powdered peanut butter
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 c. Silk chocolate cashew milk
    1/2 tsp. chia seeds
    Fill with water and blend.

CARROT CAKE SMOOTHIE
    Vanilla protein powder (Orgain)
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 tsp. chia seeds
    Handful of baby carrots
    1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
    1/2 c. plain yogurt (I use Fage 0%)
    Fill with water and blend.

BOOM. These are so yummy!
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am loving 310 Nutrition's meal replacement shakes right now. They have vegan options and a really great community on Facebook that is full of recipe ideas.
  • lovecoconoir
    lovecoconoir Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Soylent
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I include a shake of 50 gchocolate flavored protein powder with 1/2 cup kefir, which is a lactose-free fermented milk product. It's quite delish.