Help me get started!!!! Please :)

Options
So here's the short version of my story. Since I was about 21 ( 28 now) I've been up and down with weight. I was 230, then 198, then 220. Etc. now I'm back to 230 & as I near the age of 30, I want it to stop. So my girlfriend and I are doing this together, she says she's gained about 30 pounds in the two years we have been together. You know. The relationship comfort weight we all put on. Im 5'2. 230. And I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now, one included my period so that threw me off for a loop. I'm supposed to consume 1910 calories a day. I've been averaging 80% of the time doing 1300-1500. I'm I think very active because I can't afford a gym and I can't get into working out at home somehow. I don't have weights & it's winter. I've been doing very good so far. I have cheated. Some days....

I need help, good cheats? Besides peanut butter & apples.... I discovered pudding packs. Sugar free and 60 cals.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you want to workout at home you can go here http://darebee.com/workouts.html and filter by "none" on the equipment list and find lots and lots of fun workouts that don't require anything more than mother earth and a gorgeous human body - gravity works!
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    How do you define very active? You tell us what you can't afford but what exercises are you doing? Are you walking any distance, or running, or riding a bike, or just doing the normal daily routine? Sounds more to me like you are sedentary without more details. That being said 1900 is close to maintenance for a sedentary person and you are at around the 2lb per week rate. Cheating is not allowed until you log everything accurately and make sure your numbers are correct.

If you are sedentary then 1500 is a little high a deficit but ok, 1300 is too low.
  • lsbabi928
    lsbabi928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well that's what the app said to do 1910, I'm a day care worker. So I walk around a decent amount, pick up toys, clean, things like that. So I don't like sit around ALL day long and usually end up walking around places after I get home. I can workout in the morning. I do wake up early to do so, I just can't do much cardio. I mean jumping jacks kills me because of my breasts being larger & stuff.
  • zorander6
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lsbabi928 wrote: »
    Well that's what the app said to do 1910, I'm a day care worker. So I walk around a decent amount, pick up toys, clean, things like that. So I don't like sit around ALL day long and usually end up walking around places after I get home. I can workout in the morning. I do wake up early to do so, I just can't do much cardio. I mean jumping jacks kills me because of my breasts being larger & stuff.

Ok, that helps. I'd target 1500-1600 calories, 1300 is definitely to low. But the logging rule is still in effect. No cheating until you log everything accurately. :P

Edit: Get a scale and measure what you are eating as well. If you aren't measuring you will most likely be wrong.
  • lsbabi928
    Options
    It's so hard to cheat. The temptation is sooooooo hard. Like I literally work in an establishment where there is a bunch of things to eat constantly dapkr28y505v.jpg
  • lsbabi928
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Why is 1300 too low? Wouldn't I lose more that way? Where do I get a scale from? I do tend to weigh my food as I'm cooking it. And logging ingredients to meals I make. Like I'm making rice and beans tonight and I'll make the recipe so I know exactly
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Why is 1300 too low? Wouldn't I lose more that way? Where do I get a scale from? I do tend to weigh my food as I'm cooking it. And logging ingredients to meals I make. Like I'm making rice and beans tonight and I'll make the recipe so I know exactly

Too low because it's not enough energy to fuel all the things you do in the day. You can get food scales from places like Amazon =)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    As far as 'good cheats' eat whatever you like, just stay within your calorie goals. Having said that, at your calorie ranges you'll need to consider lower calorie options, and the first thing that comes to mind is vegetables with fat free dressings for dips. I use the fat free Hidden Valley Ranch, it comes in about 25 cals per tbsp. Two vegetables both my wife and I like to play around with are carrots and cauliflower. For sides we will toss them (baby carrots or cauliflower florets) with a tbsp or two of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and put them on a baking sheet and bake them at about 400F until they get a bit crispy on the outside. Then we will eat them as-is or dip them in lower calorie ranch dressing. I'll even mix hot sauce into the fat free ranch from time to time to add spicy flavor. Google ideas with cauliflower, there are many variations that are super low calorie.. you can substitute them for rice, potatoes, etc. I, personally don't substitute anything for potatoes or sweet potatoes because they are rich in potassium. I simply eat the cauliflower or carrots along side of them.

My wife is 5'2" tall and about your exact weight, so she tries to stay at the 1600 calorie range to lose weight as well. She does well with the same things I eat, which is a lot of chicken (boneless skinless breasts and thighs) baked/grilled with sides for dinners. Tuna salads for lunch, or leftover chicken (chicken salad, etc.) from the night before. Turkey, ground turkey, lean beef. Etc. Remember the leaner the meat the less fat and the less calories. As far as snacks, keep the chips out of the house unless you have the calories for it left. I have to resist even buying them or we'll both eat a whole bag. So I always buy just what we need instead of the 'family size' bags you see at the store. Ice cream has become my go-to late snack. I buy Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom, it's about 100 calories per half cup on average for most flavors and is chocked full of fiber. I buy very dark chocolate, chop it up and top the ice cream with it for a late snack to reach my fiber goals. If I find I have calories left, but no fat left on my macros and my protein is good for the day I'll usually reach for a banana. Hope all that helps.
  • zorander6
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »

Too low because it's not enough energy to fuel all the things you do in the day. You can get food scales from places like Amazon =)

Wall Fart has them as well if I recall correctly. Or Tarjay if you prefer.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you walk around a lot, I would recommend a fitbit or, more accurately, a heart rate monitor. While walking is good exercise, you may not be burning as much as you think you are.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to cheat. The temptation is sooooooo hard. Like I literally work in an establishment where there is a bunch of things to eat constantly dapkr28y505v.jpg

Try thinking of it as not being "your" food. It's for the children, not for you (even if you are allowed to eat it). Take your own low-calorie snacks if you feel you need something during the day, so that you're less tempted to snack on these other things. :)

Also, if you're snacking on peanut butter, please start weighing it if you don't already. You might be sad, but you'll be better-informed!
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Peanut Butter is most certainly the devil. Love the stuff. Super high in calories. I don't know about anyone else, but 2 tbsp is never enough for a sandwich either. I'll agree.. weigh it. It'll shock you how many calories you are actually eating with peanut butter as well as salad dressings/sauces.
  • lsbabi928
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!!!! What about coffee? Like I am thinking of switching to tea, with a teaspoon of honey, yay or nay
  • lsbabi928
    Options
    I also don't know how to log the calories I burn from work outs, it seems to me like only the cardio part count. If I'm lifting, which I want to start, I will burn calories. So like what the heck?
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    It depends on what you like to put in your coffee, and whether or not you could drink it black or with less sugar/cream/whatever. I make room in my day for one cup of coffee with flavoured creamer, and the rest of the time I drink tea or water. I do put milk in my tea, but if I want to save those few calories I drink a different type of tea black instead... I had to experiment with different kinds to see which ones I could drink black, since I didn't like the taste of some without milk.

If you don't mind the taste of artificial sweeteners you could try those, or use a stevia substitute. Honey is fine too, but remember to log the calories. :) You can also buy sugar-free syrups for flavouring if you like flavoured coffee. You may just need to gradually reduce the amount of whatever you usually put in until you get used to it, or you could try substituting other things instead. Experiment and see what works best for you. :)

(But beware of coffee shop coffees, they can be very high in calories! I used to love Tim Horton's French Vanilla coffee, until I discovered it contained more calories than my donut...! I found a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Lattes that I can make for less than 70 calories a little while ago, so if I fancy something different I make one of those.)
  • SueSueDio
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I also don't know how to log the calories I burn from work outs, it seems to me like only the cardio part count. If I'm lifting, which I want to start, I will burn calories. So like what the heck?

I've heard differing opinions on this, but most people who lift regularly seem to think that the amount of calories burned are so few (in comparison to cardio) that it's not really worth counting them. (Consider it a bonus, perhaps, rather than a reason to eat more?)

Be aware of how you're recording your calories burned too, since machines and MFPs own estimates can be way off the mark! The general recommendation is to eat maybe 50-75% of your exercise calories, at least until you know how accurate the estimate is.
  • QUEST8
    QUEST8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I simply want to invite you to my group, Quest 8 where you can gain the tools and encouragement to take on your struggle and win. It can be done and it is great that you have support through your friend. You have already made the first important decision that you want "it" to stop, now get the tools needed to make that happen.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!!!! What about coffee? Like I am thinking of switching to tea, with a teaspoon of honey, yay or nay

I drink both tea and coffee. I simply learned to use Stevia instead. I tried pretty much all of the other sweeteners and Stevia had the least nasty taste to me. It doesn't, for me anyway, get quite as sweet as sugar, but it's close and it's 0 calories.