How to log chicken wings

Options
Hey all!

Going out for dinner tomorrow to a small ma and pa diner, I plan to order 1lb of naked dusted chicken wings. How do I log this?

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Just put in the name of the restuarant and wings. Like little anthony wings..
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Its seriously a small diner in a small town, and they only opened 3 weeks ago :S I'll give it a try...
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    Not in the system :(
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    And if it's not there, find the closest entry, even add a few calories. Chicken wings are killer for calories..lol
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    So they vary, between 250 cal and 1,300 lol I just super don't know which one to go for...
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it's ~100 calories per chicken wing.
    I'd go with 1000 calories for a pound... to be safe.

They aren't too nice to calorie counting, but they're sooo good haha
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    So ai looked it up online (pub/bar food cals in naked wings skin not eaten)
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    They are very tricky. Some add in the data for all of the oil used to cook, which of course doesn't get absorbed or consumed. You also have to consider the weight of the bones, which can be up to half. When I make them at home I weigh the before and after, but that would be awkward at a restaurant!! LOL I would just go somewhere in the middle and chalk it up to eating out, because unless there is someone in the back with a food scale, you're never gonna be perfect logging when you aren't in control :)
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    They are very tricky. Some add in the data for all of the oil used to cook, which of course doesn't get absorbed or consumed. You also have to consider the weight of the bones, which can be up to half. When I make them at home I weigh the before and after, but that would be awkward at a restaurant!! LOL I would just go somewhere in the middle and chalk it up to eating out, because unless there is someone in the back with a food scale, you're never gonna be perfect logging when you aren't in control :)

Thank you very much. I have it logged in for just over 360 cal. I may not be able to control what its cooked in and weighing that (although I don't do that anyways) but I can control whats on the wings and whether I eat the skin or not :)

So, I've logged it in based on what I saw online and I'll try to eat within that.

I do quite well and I don't eat out very often at all, so this is a nice treat. AND...I'm going to turn down the beer that usually goes with it ;P

• CranstonJ2016
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    I've always heard that it's ~100 calories per chicken wing.
    I'd go with 1000 calories for a pound... to be safe.

They aren't too nice to calorie counting, but they're sooo good haha

100 per wing?! I saw 36....see this is why I hate eating out lol I have 1200 cals allotted for the day, 100 cals per wing is a hell of a lot

• JustMissTracy
    Options
    Enjoy them..that's the most important rule! You're going to a pub, and it's not a normal event, so try not to think about it too much. If you eat more than you logged, come back tonite or tomorrow and adjust. If you're a little over, it's only one day. ;)
  • CranstonJ2016
    Options
    Enjoy them..that's the most important rule! You're going to a pub, and it's not a normal event, so try not to think about it too much. If you eat more than you logged, come back tonite or tomorrow and adjust. If you're a little over, it's only one day. ;)

Ya eh? I am such a stickler for numbers!! Ugh! I now see 360 for 4 wings...who the hell eats only 4 wings?!?!?! Thats rediculous!!!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    I am too...eat 6...give yourself those..lol! And I'd even have the beer, tbh! Makes sticking to it a lot easier if I allow myself the things I really want. I got faith in you, chickie...you can have your cake and eat it too! xo
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I get wings about once a month and I'll eat 8-12 of them in a sitting. I'm sure it's a ton of calories. I just use the Buffalo Wild Wings entry to estimate the calories and move on with life.

Occasional splurges like that never slowed or stopped my weight loss. I lost 60+ pounds in 2011-12 and have been at goal ever since. Long term weight loss success is about learning moderation. You should be able to indulge every now and then without getting off track.

Go enjoy your meal out. :-)
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. I get wings about once a month and I'll eat 8-12 of them in a sitting. I'm sure it's a ton of calories. I just use the Buffalo Wild Wings entry to estimate the calories and move on with life.

Occasional splurges like that never slowed or stopped my weight loss. I lost 60+ pounds in 2011-12 and have been at goal ever since. Long term weight loss success is about learning moderation.

This! Well said.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Ya eh? I am such a stickler for numbers!! Ugh! I now see 360 for 4 wings...who the hell eats only 4 wings?!?!?! Thats rediculous!!!

And who the hell doesn't eat the skin!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    So they vary, between 250 cal and 1,300 lol I just super don't know which one to go for...

I'd just know I went over for the day and eat accordingly around that