Protein

Options
How do i calculate how much protein i should be ingesting?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    MFP will set the default for you when you put in your numbers and goals. You can play around with your macro split depending on what your goals and/or diet are. I found the MFP numbers to be adequate, but since I started eating lower carb, higher fat, I've modified my macros.
  • crammar
    crammar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and activity levels. You can work it out as a percentage of your macro nutrient intake or by lean Bodyweight. I train in the gym 4 times per week and consume approx 40% of my diet as protein. Works out to be roughly 2 grams of protein per kg of Bodyweight. What are you trying to achieve with your diet tracking and excercise?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In general terms, it's 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight depending on goals, leanness, and energy balance (weight loss, maintenance, bulking).
  • j_love10
    j_love10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    crammar wrote: »
    Depends on your goals and activity levels. You can work it out as a percentage of your macro nutrient intake or by lean Bodyweight. I train in the gym 4 times per week and consume approx 40% of my diet as protein. Works out to be roughly 2 grams of protein per kg of Bodyweight. What are you trying to achieve with your diet tracking and excercise?

I spend 1 hr to 1 1/2 hours in the gym 4x a week. Last time i weighed myself i was 133 pounds that was about a week ago. And my calorie goal is set at 1250. . i want to go down to 120 without losing muscle.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    j_love10 wrote: »

I spend 1 hr to 1 1/2 hours in the gym 4x a week. Last time i weighed myself i was 133 pounds that was about a week ago. And my calorie goal is set at 1250. . i want to go down to 120 without losing muscle.

What kind of exercise are you doing and why is your calorie so low if you are so close to your goal?
  • j_love10
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

What kind of exercise are you doing and why is your calorie so low if you are so close to your goal?

I do about 30 to 40 min strength and 20 min cardio. . my calories are set to 1250 because im goin based on what the myfitnesspal app says to intake. Is it wrong?
  • j_love10
    Options

I do about 30 to 40 min strength and 20 min cardio. . my calories are set to 1250 because im goin based on what the myfitnesspal app says to intake. Is it wrong?

It says i should intake 63g of protein...is that too little? Sorry im fairly new at this
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • j_love10
    Options
    How tall are you?

Tiny....4ft 11in
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How tall are you?

Tiny....4ft 11in

How much weight per week did you select. How long have you been logging and how much weight have you lost?

You should probably be around 90 to 110g of protein, at least while you are losing weight. It's highly beneficial for increases in protein during weight loss.
  • j_love10
    Options
    How tall are you?

Tiny....4ft 11in

How much weight per week did you select. How long have you been logging and how much weight have you lost?

You should probably be around 90 to 110g of protein, at least while you are losing weight. It's highly beneficial for increases in protein during weight loss.

1lb a week just to be realistic lol. I started at 160 and i went down to 123 and then stopped completely for 3 mos and gained 10 lbs. So i just started logging again about 2 weeks ago But i know something was wrong in my nutrition because i started losing my hair. So thats why this time i wanted to try whey protein just after my workouts... I only take one scoop in 8 oz. Of water.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    For your stats 90-110g is sufficient.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How tall are you?

Tiny....4ft 11in

1lb a week just to be realistic lol. I started at 160 and i went down to 123 and then stopped completely for 3 mos and gained 10 lbs. So i just started logging again about 2 weeks ago But i know something was wrong in my nutrition because i started losing my hair. So thats why this time i wanted to try whey protein just after my workouts... I only take one scoop in 8 oz. Of water.

If your hair was falling out, it could have been a too little calories (malnutrition), or protein/fat deficiency.

Where your calories the same as they are now? Since you restarted, how much have you lost? I know you are fairly new (again) to the game, but I am trying to workout your maintenance level. This way, you can also ensure your calorie level (well more validation of MFP's calorie estimates) are appropriate for your goals; this is because MFP gives you calories pre-exercise, so in theory, you should eat back some of your calories. Like all things though, they are just estimates and using actual data to validate it, is going to give you a more accurate answer.