Extraordinarily Overweight

Options
2»

Replies

• tamiluanna
    tamiluanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't try and do everything at once. Track your food, drink your water and start a exercise goal you can do every day. Babysteps help create long term changes you can keep up the rest of your life. I started out with 10 mins a day and was over 300 pounds. I'm running my first half marathon in a couple of months.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This thread has some great advice. I agree with the others. At this point, I wouldn't even be thinking of low carb. Just log. Decide that for one week, you are going to eat as you have been eating for years. Log your weight and then log everything you put in your mouth for 7 days. This will get you in the habit/proficient with logging BEFORE you set foot on your healthy path. You will be astounded to see how much you are eating in one day. I am a big believer in getting very familiar with what you are doing "normally" so that when you do change your eating habits you will have the "picture" in MFP of the difference.

Once you finish out the week, then decide on what calories you are going to set yourself up for daily. Since you are extremely overweight, it is advised not to start out too low. Just think about food period. No special diets. Then keep that food within your caloric level by portion control. You'll quickly see that some foods give you more bang for your buck and some foods are calorie bombs (peanut butter :'( ).
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    You don't need a specific diet or fad. Just log and track your food accurately. Drink plenty of water- this helps soooo much. And when you are able to, add in cardio!

Also, take your measurements and don't just track by weight! Those inches coming off will feel so much better in a wedding dress than just pounds lost!

I also suggest joining MFP challenges and adding some people that can encourage you. The challenges always expose me to new exercises, help me cut vices from my diet, and help me connect with other dedicated users!

You've got this and I hope your wedding is wonderful!

Remember this is a life change not a season so the drastic diets will not help set you up for success down the road!
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Remember, you don't HAVE to go low carb! I do think it is important to watch out for your processed carbs like chips/candy etc. But, I think that its always best to have variety of all food groups!!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of these threads: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest and it made all the difference on how I've approached my weight lost. I started at 256 before I started MFP and am down to 214.4. Still a ways to go, but the biggest thing I have learned and what keeps me going is that I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my daily calories. Most of that time means super duper healthy stuff so I can get more bang for my buck, but I have found room for chocolate, popcorn, corndogs at the movies... The key is this is sustainable for me for the long haul.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    Options
    In case you're wondering if @Sued0nim's advice is bang on? Stop wondering. Start implementing!

Find a way of eating and moving you can keep doing long term, indefinitely.

If you feel you can't keep it up forever... keep looking for something that you can!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Step 1 eat exactly the same as you were, but less of it, making sure you hit your calorie goal.

Step 2 realise that certain foods aren't worth the calories. For example for me, things like ice cream felt like too many calories for the enjoyment I got from it.

Step 3 replace foods you find aren't worth the calories with alternatives. Veggies and other lower calorie replacements.

So no need to cut anything from your diet as long as you feel the calorie to enjoyment ratio is ok.

That's how it seemed to work for me. Large chips at Oporto, not worth it, but small or medium chips were.