Cupping

Options
I don't know how many have tried it, but for me it has been a great way to feel better quicker when sore and achy. It has gotten rid of a few injuries of mine that nothing else worked yet one-two cupping sessions and it was relieved.

If anyone is familiar with cupping can you tell me if you can do it before a workout? From what I have read it is best to do it 2 days a week on off days, but often that advice appears to come from different blogs/forums and I have never seen an answer one way or another anywhere else.

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Cupping is awesome. I wish my current physio did it, but her combination of massage and dry needling works wonders to.

As for timing, I pretty much always have a treatment and then go train immediately afterwards. I'll take it easy on squats if she's dry needled my it bands, but that's more because my legs feel absolutely dead afterwards.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My chiro/massage therapist are just starting to get into cupping and still learning. Not sure it's something I would have gone and paid big bucks for (I've heard it can be pretty expensive) but since they offered to throw it in since I was already there and they're just starting I figured I'll give it a try..

I had it done last week with plastic cups and it seemed to loosen some of the knots in my upper back that we have not had much luck getting with massage alone. I'm going to have her try it again this week to see if we make any more progress, but I much preferred it over her digging around on the knots with her elbow. I've had significantly less tightness and pain in my back this week and she said my shoulder blades gained some mobility. I didn't bruise at all and I did a workout later in the day. I actually felt much better the next day than I do from my usually deep tissue massage.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. It made my hamstrings much tighter than they were beforehand. Oops.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    LMT here, I invite you to work out BEFORE your sessions. Cupping and Massage, when paired with hydrating, helps flush lactic acid. When you workout, your muscles contract and pull it back it.
    Workout, session then hydrate hydrate hydrate is the magic formula
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    LMT here, I invite you to work out BEFORE your sessions. Cupping and Massage, when paired with hydrating, helps flush lactic acid. When you workout, your muscles contract and pull it back it.

What?

What lactic acid are you referring to? That isn't even a thing. Muscle produce lactate which is actually a very good thing. Without it your performance would suffer greatly.

If I am wrong, please show me. I'd love to see the actual science behind it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Hogwash......

massagetherapy.com/articles/index.php/article_id/2040/The-Lactic-Acid-Debate

massage-education.com/myths-of-massage.html

and cupping is pure twaddle.......
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    My mother use to get "cupped" at home by a Chinese acupuncture. She said it helped eased her aches and pains. Only way to find out if it will help you is to give it a try yourself.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This is not what I thought this thread was going to be about when I clicked on it.
  • yogabritt89
    yogabritt89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It makes me so relaxed I'd do cupping after exercise :smile: I found it to have a similar effect as a massage.
  • noirprncess
    noirprncess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a muscular tightness issues. I've found that regular cupping followed by consistent exercise helps improve that tightness. My muscles have loosened up nicely in a way that exercise only wasn't working.

My recommendation is to try it and decide for yourself.